• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toe Tapping and Wing Flipping

Red Jasper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elizabeth
Hi there,
The mix is healthy and made exactly for a sensitive bird (the Sammy Allergy *no fruit* mix is the one I'm referring to) so maybe just start with a 1/4 cup to see how she likes it. At first she will probably devour it and that's ok! Keep offering the other stuff too. Eventually she'll probably get used to it and eat it gradually. The good part is she's a little piglet and likes her food and you don't have to struggle with getting her to actually eat. That's a huge blessing, trust me! :smuggrin:

I purchase the Sammy house select allergy mix (no fruit), Miss Belle mix and the Bubba fruit mix and give them access to 1/3 cup of each mixed in one container all day. They love it and they devour their dry mix/dinner mash when it's served as well. Eclectus are such piglets, I love it. :laughing12:

I'm glad you'll be trying it. I also wanted to mention that if you're feeding her any type of pasta at all to make sure that it's not enriched and fortified as that can be a **huge** trigger for her sensitivity.

I suggest you start with the 1 lb option and then work your way up if you need more. I keep mine in a airtight container in the fridge after it arrives. Get on the mailing list to receive discount codes sent out each month. This month's discount code was through Jan 13 but you can always use the code "TEC" if you're outside of the code time period for an extra 10% off your order.
When you get comfortable with the mix, be sure to take a look at some of the other great mixes available and check out their information. They really do put their whole heart into getting the absolute best ingredients. You can even order single ingredients for treats. :joyful:

:heart: :heart: :heart:

RJ.

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
Another question....what type or brand of cereals? :huh:

Red Jasper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elizabeth
There are a few good ones but you have to really read the labels. Make sure there is barely any sugar (nothing above 2 grams) and that the ingredients are easy to understand. Nature's Path and Kashi have some good ones. There are many you just have to read the ingredients list. Remember that you'll be feeding probably 1/2 cup so calculate amounts based on that. The puffed rice, puffed kamut, puffed wheat are usually in just clear bags on the bottom shelf. I recommend you start really light with very mild selections to begin with. Just take your time and look at what several stores in the area offer you. You can mix in freeze dried veggies to the mix (Whole Foods carries these really awesome dried veggies, single or mixed ingredients). They're called Just Veggies or Just Fruit. These are tons of fun to add to the mix. Amazon has them too: Amazon.com: just veggies

RJ.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Here's a thought.... maybe you are feeding the wrong type of beans? Toss out the 15 bean soup mix! Unless you are going to eat it yourself, do not feed it to your eclectus!

Instead, feed adzuki, mung, chickpeas (garbonzo) and lentils. These legumes are less likely to be toxic than other varieties and can even be fed sprouted! Other beans, especially those found in the bean soup mixes must be fully cooked, and if not fully cooked or improperly cooked, could be toxic.

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
Monica,

Coincidence? I planned on soaking beans today...then I thought "maybe these aren't the best type or brand - let's do a little searching and shopping first" then I find your email!

Penelope loves her bean mix, I feel bad for cutting back on it to every other day while I am searching for answers. I can add that she is not tapping or flipping and doesn't seem to itchy/twitchy (today :cautious: ) ...but she is still holding up her foot. That may take awhile to heal.

I am giving her chickpea sprouts (she doesn't eat lentils sprouted), I will look for adzuki and mung - I will probably have to order both.

I haven't tried any cereal yet, but looking at a Bob's Red Mill whole grain cereal list and it looks like it could be used as a dry mix or sprouted. upload_2015-1-22_16-24-49.png

Thanks for the tip.

Lillian

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you have any health food stores near you (Whole Foods or?), or stores with bulk bins (Raley's and Winco come to mind - don't know if they are in your area!), you might be able to find adzuki and mung beans there.

I don't know if all of the ingredients on Bob's Red Mill Grande Whole Grains can be fed dry or not. I've always been iffy about feeding certain things dry!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just wondering if you were able to find anything in regards to the beans and legumes? I know it hasn't been long, but any updates?

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
I went to two other places and couldn't find the mung or adzuki. I should have just gone to right place! But I did get some organic chick peas and lentils and sprouted those, plus made them in a bean mix with brown rice & quinoa and fresh veggies (which tastes really good .)

I still plan on finding them.

At the moment I am doing the bean mix 3 times a week in the morning, and sprouts w/veggies on the other days. Plus I have added a daily misting bath for her leg. So far...no tapping, twitching and no chewing.

And this morning she is standing on both legs! it's promising.

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
Sigh. Tapping/flipping and standing on one leg again. That's my girl.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ohhh, so sorry. I go through the same thing with Ruby. It can tip either way on any day.

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
She really hasn't stopped tapping completely. She does a little every morning when she is still sleepy. And it's hard to tell which food since I am rotating meals.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You might try feeding one type of meal for 1-3 weeks, then changing to a different meal...... see if you notice any differences.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
At the moment I am doing the bean mix 3 times a week in the morning...
you may have to stop all beans. It may be a big trigger for her. Are the sprouts bean or seed? If beans, that is another source of protein she may not tolerate well. Ruby cannot have beans at all, even in sprouts. She did well for awhile on a mixture of seed and bean sprouts but after about three weeks she started badly toe tapping again.

When trying to find a trigger food you have to feed one meal continuously for three or more weeks so you can pinpoint the problem.

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
I haven't responded in a while because my household has been sick with colds - Penelope however WAS doing great. WAS is the key word. No tapping, no flipping and standing on two legs. Today I see she has re-opened her leg wound and she looks rough and is isn't being social. Still eating though.

I think I am on the right track with the diet (going heavy on the veggies, more grains than beans) But...I did stray. I gave her a small bit of millet, dry rolled oats (which she didn't eat) and spelt berries. She has issues with millet - I wasn't thinking.

Today I made a run to my cat and dog Vet and picked up Vetericyn to spray on her leg. The Avian vet didn't want me to put anything on the wound saying that doing so. would just draw more attention to it. It has been over 2 months and every time it starts to heal she chews it open again, I think it's time to be more proactive.

I also picked up Kashi 7 Whole Grain Original Pilaf. I read that it can be sprouted.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry she re-opened the leg wound. I don't know anything about Vetericyn but I hope it works. :hug8:

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
Birdiemarie,

You have recommended Lil Bird Sprouts, do you pick out the beans and sunflower seeds? You may have posted this before but I can't find it.

Lilyrat

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lillian
Penelope is back! It was amazing, almost over night...Penelope stopped tapping/flipping and chewing on her leg. She is talking and playing, walking on both legs and molting everywhere.

The change happened with the time change. No kidding! We also got warm weather at the same time and a diet change :D

I think it was a combination of hormones, diet and weather. I changed her food (no more warm mushy bean mix which stimulated her hormones) to veggies, sprouts and fruit.

Thanks to everyone for advice and listening! No doubt I will need it again with the next hormonal cycle.