• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Today's Camera exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChromeScholar

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Some from the back yard...

A juvenile house sparrow...

An adult house sparrow...

A juvenile house finch...

An adult house finch...

A white-crowned sparrow...

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
More from Willow Lake...

Yes, that is a Great Blue Heron, and yes, she is fifty feet off the ground in a tree, guarding her nest...

The Great Horned owl, on the other hand, was only about eight feet off the ground...

AmberMuffinz

Avenue Veteran
Wow, amazing pictures as always! I love the heron, especially in the first picture. That crazy hairdo is awesome.

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful :heart:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Very nice pictures and what a view.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Stunning pictures! The birds are beautiful!

Matt

Sunnyside

Real Name
Janice
I love your pics! I want to start taking decent pics and I am not a camera-smart person :o:. I was so torn between the Canon Rebel XTI 400D or the Nikon 40D. I ended up getting the Nikon but it is not here yet, I hope it isn't too hard for me :o:. Your camera takes beautiful photo's, I love how you get close up on the subject and blur out the background. I want to learn to do that :).

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Beautiful photos, and you sure know your wild birds. Is your knowledge there in your head, or is it more of a 'google' approach?

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Most of the local birds I know. It's rare that I have to look something up anymore. Of course, I started out having to look them up when I got home. After a while, you learn, and I've been bird-watching in this area since 1989. And I mazy not always know what a particular "little brown bird" is in the field. I may have to wait until I have the full-sized photo on the computer screen to say "that's a Pine Siskin".

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Very Nice pics Dan! Birding is so much fun

I love your pics! I want to start taking decent pics and I am not a camera-smart person :o:. I was so torn between the Canon Rebel XTI 400D or the Nikon 40D. I ended up getting the Nikon but it is not here yet, I hope it isn't too hard for me :o:. Your camera takes beautiful photo's, I love how you get close up on the subject and blur out the background. I want to learn to do that :).
Janice there is a sticky in the Shutterbug section that will explain some things about exposures and settings. Play around with the settings on your camera when you get it and dont get frustrated, you will learn it and soon be taking wonderful pictures!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It's not his camera that takes nice photos (though it does help!:p), Dan himself is just a great photographer. Give him an old point and shoot....and he'd still out shoot most of us. :D

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
You're gonna make me blush.

I have the advantage of lots of years of experience. I got my first camera (a Kodak Brownie that took 620 film) all the way back in the early seventies. I got my first 35mm (a Yashica MG-1) in the mid-seventies. I graduated to Canon cameras in 1983 or 84, when I bought an AE-1, followed by an A-1. I've been doing this a long time. It helps. I still take lots of photos that I throw out.

Take your camera with you all the time. I don't go to the grocery store without a camera. Take photos. When you get a nice photo, check the properties, note the settings. Keep that in mind. All cameras and lenses have sweet spots where they shoot best. The higher quality the camera and lens, the larger the sweet spot will be, but even cheap point and shoots can take good photos in a limited variety of conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.