• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Today I learned

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
TIL
That another species of parrot used to be native in USA ! The thick billed parrot! Used to range in Arizona to Texas! Even images and feathers and bones used by native American
1680145368797.png

Last edited:

BluJay

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jay [he/him]
That's a really cool find with the blog addition! It looks like other mesoamerican images depicting high spiritual sessions. I wonder just how far the Aztec empire streched beyond the accepted standards. The knots on her garments are striking similar to ceremonial figures of high status within the empire. Awesome!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
That's a really cool find with the blog addition! It looks like other mesoamerican images depicting high spiritual sessions. I wonder just how far the Aztec empire streched beyond the accepted standards. The knots on her garments are striking similar to ceremonial figures of high status within the empire. Awesome!
:pinklol3: I'd forgotten this was one of your interests! You know a great deal!

Any other parrot related tidbits ?

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
:pinklol3: I'd forgotten this was one of your interests! You know a great deal!

Any other parrot related tidbits ?
Thanks for saying that. I'd have to do some digging (into the dig site kiva) and check out the university site, ya got be side tracked! :excited1:

BluJay

Real Name
Jay [he/him]
From Wikipedia: They are adept fliers, and historical accounts describe the birds sleeping in one mountain range, and crossing vast distances to feed in another mountain range each day. They deal with deep snow by hanging upside-down and climbing on the bare underside of a snow-covered branch in order to access cones.

They are heat and snow parrots!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I'm surprised this thread doesn't mention that in the Wiki post about the thick-billed parrot, it says that ANOTHER species of parrot, the green parakeet, can be found in the USA (southern Texas):

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm surprised this thread doesn't mention that in the Wiki post about the thick-billed parrot, it says that ANOTHER species of parrot, the green parakeet, can be found in the USA (southern Texas):

Probably because we would have to conserve them if we are part of natural range sbd they are endangered species. Developers paying off...

We had large undeveloped wet lands and good size population of painted buntings! Conservation was try to buy land to protect them . Developers rushed through and just pay fine for filling in wet lands; sorry it's just gross,,!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I think I’ve seen these parrots on old native clay pots.