• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Today could have been horrible but Dibs made it special

Status
Not open for further replies.

tampatammy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tammy
Amazing, how about 5 months ago, I get a Blue n Gold Macaw, then I had opportunity to barter off a Quaker by helping to hand raise 3 more. I take the challenge and hand feed all 4 babies for a while till the day comes that the owner of the birds is ready to sell them. Somehow in the hustle of getting the babies ready to go, my daughter packed up Dibs and without even noticing I had just sent my baby to live with another family. It was later when feeding time came that I noticed when the remaining quaker did not run to the door and fly out at me to say hi, that it became all too clear. This was not Dibs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I was in a panic, it was far too late to call my breeder so I had to wait till the next day. 10 am I was on the phone, panicked and explaining how my baby Dibs was sent away by mistake by my daughter who I just assumed knew the difference. Dibs did after all get his name as a result of two of my children fighting for ownership and when both were trying to call Dibs on him, when it was decided that Dibs would be his name. How could she not know the bird she has been fighting her sister for, so when this all came to surface, it was an odd shock that poor Dibs had been sent off to never-land. The breeder laughed as I told him the story and said that he would get him back for me but it would take a few days as he had already sold him to my horror. He clipped his wings and I was devastated. Took about 4 days and dibs comes home, seeming very happy to be back where he belongs.. So happy to get him home, our relationship has bonded and I am starting to notice that dibs can be a little jealous. Yes I have since worked off a few more birds by helping to feed them and tame them, I now have 6 in all. Two cocktails, One Nanday Conure, One Sun Conure, of course Maddock my macaw and Dibs.

Today I know that making sure I got the right bird home, and back safe was the best decision I have made. He has more than proven his worth as a family member. Dibs is usually a bit jealous of the Nanday, and tries to bite at her, but only when I am trying to handle them both at the same time, otherwise they coexist without issues. Today I was very upset, got a phone call that had me crying and I really kinda lost it a bit. The birds sensed this and began to raise some noise which alerted me to go check on them. They were all fine but as I go to the cage, dibs is in a panic biting at the cage door, so I opened it up, and he bounces out and I take him with me to my room feeling that I need to calm him down.

He was like a chatterbox and I get him into the other room and begin to talk to him and he starts kissing me right on the mouth. Slightly nipping but all gentle and showing his love and affection, I keep pulling away and he jumps on me and back up to my lips to kiss and love on me. He has never really done this, so this is a bit unusual. This goes on for a few mins and I pull him down and before I know it, he has me laughing and crying at the same time. More laughing than crying and then I notice that his entire beak is covered in my lipstick. Now I hold him down and use my fingers to clean his beak off but in all, Dibs really made everything ok, he is such a special guy and one thing I noticed, here I thought I was going to calm him down but he was calm once he got out of the cage and he set out to calm me down.

I stopped crying and am still laughing and am so grateful that dibs was ready to do his part as without Dibs, my entire day could have been blown to smut, but I am starting to believe that this is impossible when you have such beautiful majestic intelligent blessings for that to happen.

Dibs is so special, I know his jealousy of Zoey the Nanday is only a result of his love for me. dibs.jpg

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Great outcome of a Bad Mixup:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
AAWW What a happy ending. ---I love the name and the story behind it.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Dibs is an adorable little guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.