• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Tobias thinks he's actually a Hawk!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Recently I've discovered that Tobias loves to flip on his back and wrestle my fingers grappling with them with both feet and beak like a little Hawk going in for the kill! He always looks so ferocious and angry when he does it but he's very gentle and has such a wonderful time doing this and I just love to see him enjoy the stimulation so much and flapping those wings and exercising. I always try so hard to get pics but it's hard to juggle his wrestling and snap a pic but finally today I was rewarded for my many tries,lol.
Behold Tobias Hawk!
20211108_184419.jpg
@camelotshadow @Wardy

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Look at that belly. Glad he is a good eater. He has to fill out into a big crimson belly. See some red on the belly & blue around the vent.

Rio is really wide in the body & always has been since I got him but your guy is young so maybe he will fill out more. I was reading Crimson can be 80 to 100 grams. I think Rio is on the big side but the guy at the petshop said he thought him avg for CBC. He's much bigger than a GCC.
Tobias is on the small side & truthfully I've never weighed Rio as I can look at him but I think @Just-passn-thru has so maybe she can remember Rios weight?

Rio red belly (2).jpg

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Look at that belly. Glad he is a good eater. He has to fill out into a big crimson belly. See some red on the belly & blue around the vent.

Rio is really wide in the body & always has been since I got him but your guy is young so maybe he will fill out more. I was reading Crimson can be 80 to 100 grams. I think Rio is on the big side but the guy at the petshop said he thought him avg for CBC. He's much bigger than a GCC.
Tobias is on the small side & truthfully I've never weighed Rio as I can look at him but I think @Just-passn-thru has so maybe she can remember Rios weight?

View attachment 396522
I did, he was in the normal range . I didn't record it. My bad

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I did, he was in the normal range . I didn't record it. My bad
Thanks, Rio is not small boned though. His chest is really wide. He may not be bigger as in taller but he;s a stocky guy. He;s from TX
They say everything is bigger in TX... :rofl:

Avg would probably be 85 grams for a CBC

I guess I could satisfy my curiosity & try to weigh him but don't want to stress him or myself.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

View attachment 396522
Tobias definitely seems on the small size I had always read that on average male Crimsons weigh from 85 to 95 grams and after two months he still won't break out of the mid 60s! I've talked to 3 vets about it including my CAV and they all agree he's healthy just more peite and on the thinner side he eats like a horse but just won't bulk up. I'm hoping with maturity he will at least hit 75 grams. I weigh him every day and he goes between 65 to 68 but normally stays at 65.
Oh yes he has lots of Blue around his vent for sure but still just that single Crimson feather on his tummy that his leg is blocking. Oh that reminds me I know you got Rio as an adult but did he ever have a reddish cast on his throat/upper grey chest feathers,I'm not sure if that's normal and he will molt those out as he gets older or ?
You can see what I mean here..
20211024_111218.jpg

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I found this...from what I can see a CBC would be in the 80 to 95 grams range.

I know where this woman got her CBC from (not your breeder). I did not get the clutchmate as it was from a incubator raised egg & the chick was very undersize. This woman got a partially parent raised chick & the breeder handfed yet she too said hers was small.

I was concerned about the one I did not get being stunted since it was entirely handfed from hatch. I can;t find the photo anymore but it looked liked something was wrong & so far behind in development but she said it would catch up but I just did not want to take the chance.

Still I guess depending upon the parents & bloodlines they can vary in size. It was said that all CBC came from a few pairs introduced in the late 90's.

Last edited:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I found this...from what I can see a CBC would be in the 80 to 90 grams range.

I know where this woman got her CBC from. I did not get the clutchmate as it was from a incubator raised egg & the chick was very undersize. The woman go a partially parent raised chick yet she too said hers was small.

I was concerned about the one I did not get being stunted. I can;t find the photo anymore.

Still I guess depending upon the parents & bloodlines they can vary in size. It was said that all CBC came from a few pairs introduced in the late 90's.
Ooh thanks for the thread! That makes sense just like all people are individuals it's fair to assume that not every species will fit the exact average parameters for any given species. I guess he's just gonna be my shrimpy little Hawk ;)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Little guy with BIG mouth... :lol:

Hey, you posted in that thread. I did not as I was a bit miffed that I missed the bigger male chick & only the really small one was available.
We both were dealing with the same breeder.

They all are individuals. I have been seeing GCC getting smaller too. Beyond genetics I guess it can depend on alot of things.
Your guy loves to eat & eat his veggies so no matter his weight all that matters is he is healthy.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Tobias definitely seems on the small size I had always read that on average male Crimsons weigh from 85 to 95 grams and after two months he still won't break out of the mid 60s! I've talked to 3 vets about it including my CAV and they all agree he's healthy just more peite and on the thinner side he eats like a horse but just won't bulk up. I'm hoping with maturity he will at least hit 75 grams. I weigh him every day and he goes between 65 to 68 but normally stays at 65.
Oh yes he has lots of Blue around his vent for sure but still just that single Crimson feather on his tummy that his leg is blocking. Oh that reminds me I know you got Rio as an adult but did he ever have a reddish cast on his throat/upper grey chest feathers,I'm not sure if that's normal and he will molt those out as he gets older or ?
You can see what I mean here..
View attachment 396532
What state is he from?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Last edited:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You got him from the breeder? Could be related to Rio I suppose if they were both bred in TX.
Have you ever wrote down what's on the band?

I think you mentioned the breeder but I don't think I recognized them.
He came from Jadiesbirdnest she's in Magnolia TX. Oh that would be so cool if they were related. Yes I know what's on his band he never minds if I touch it.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I just saw the purple band & that is also the band color of the breeder in FL that has the small CBC that I did not get.

Rio from what I was told was from a breeding pair originally owned by the Bird Lady in TX. She sold the pair so she did not breed Rio but once owned the parents.
Still Rio has an open stainless bracelet band as I guess they missed the window for banding or something is off.
Usually only wild caught birds have an open band but Rio just I hope it not 23 years old but don't suppose its not impossible that he was one of the original wild birds. :think1:

The bird lady got him back from someone who had many birds & was giving them up so she found a home for him as an adult.

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Omg, where was the cuteness warning on this thread? :faint: My heart!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just saw the purple band & that is also the band color of the breeder in FL that has the small CBC that I did not get.

Rio from what I was told was from a breeding pair originally owned by the Bird Lady in TX. She sold the pair so she did not breed Rio but once owned the parents.
Still Rio has an open stainless bracelet band as I guess they missed the window for banding or something is off.
Usually only wild caught birds have an open band but Rio just I hope it not 23 years old but don't suppose its not impossible that he was one of the original wild birds. :think1:

The bird lady got him back from someone who had many birds & was giving them up so she found a home for him as an adult.
My goodness Rio had quite the life before he came to you. Tobias's breeder uses all different colors of bands I've seen in past pics and videos.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Little guy with BIG mouth... :lol:

Hey, you posted in that thread. I did not as I was a bit miffed that I missed the bigger male chick & only the really small one was available.
We both were dealing with the same breeder.

They all are individuals. I have been seeing GCC getting smaller too. Beyond genetics I guess it can depend on alot of things.
Your guy loves to eat & eat his veggies so no matter his weight all that matters is he is healthy.
Ha as was scrolling through I was surprised to come across that post. That was the first and only CBC I ever saw in person and that was almost 10 years before I got Tobias.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Ha as was scrolling through I was surprised to come across that post. That was the first and only CBC I ever saw in person and that was almost 10 years before I got Tobias.
I have to correct my post. Mogli was not the clutchmate of the one I was looking at. She got another one about a year later who was a clutchmate so no idea if her first CBC was from the same breeder as her 2nd CBC. I know as this was May 2013 so a year before I even knew about the CBC I was referring too.

My first intro or seriousness was in about mid 2014. Up until that point I was looking for GCC esp Turq's. Not sure how it exactly happened but someone near me wanted to give up his baby CBC but he changed his mind. Then the hunt was on. I found the clutchmate of his CBC & it was sold under my nose as they accepted paypal from the other person & said I had to get a money order so it was timing. Then came the stunted CBC in Sept 2014 & I really was not comfortable it would catch up. Then the bird I originally was going to get & he decided to keep died so sad as I was for him I was grateful that chance had not put that bird or its clutchmate in my hands so I did not have to have a bird die. Don;t know why the bird died as he seemed to really take care of his birds but I wanted no part of the clutch at that point anyway as something might have been amiss. I wanted one so badly but it had only been months not years like in your case. Baby CBC time had passed so I would have to wait or get an okder one. Then I found Rio in TX who was a young adult supposedly. He did not step up but was not aggressive so after months of thinking about him & getting vids & pictures conversing with the Bird Lady I decided to get him. Rio has been with me thru the darkest sickest points of my life( a broken foot, cancer & chemo). Hes a trooper.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to correct my post. Mogli was not the clutchmate of the one I was looking at. She got another one about a year later who was a clutchmate so no idea if her first CBC was from the same breeder as her 2nd CBC. I know as this was May 2013 so a year before I even knew about the CBC I was referring too.

My first intro or seriousness was in about mid 2014. Up until that point I was looking for GCC esp Turq's. Not sure how it exactly happened but someone near me wanted to give up his baby CBC but he changed his mind. Then the hunt was on. I found the clutchmate of his CBC & it was sold under my nose as they accepted paypal from the other person & said I had to get a money order so it was timing. Then came the stunted CBC in Sept 2014 & I really was not comfortable it would catch up. Then the bird I originally was going to get & he decided to keep died so sad as I was for him I was grateful that chance had not put that bird or its clutchmate in my hands so I did not have to have a bird die. Don;t know why the bird died as he seemed to really take care of his birds but I wanted no part of the clutch at that point anyway as something might have been amiss. I wanted one so badly but it had only been months not years like in your case. Baby CBC time had passed so I would have to wait or get an okder one. Then I found Rio in TX who was a young adult supposedly. He did not step up but was not aggressive so after months of thinking about him & getting vids & pictures conversing with the Bird Lady I decided to get him. Rio has been with me thru the darkest sickest points of my life( a broken foot, cancer & chemo). Hes a trooper.
Rio was truly ment to be with you! Through all of these lost chances it was always ment to be you and him :heart:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Thanks, Rio is not small boned though. His chest is really wide. He may not be bigger as in taller but he;s a stocky guy. He;s from TX
They say everything is bigger in TX... :rofl:

Avg would probably be 85 grams for a CBC

I guess I could satisfy my curiosity & try to weigh him but don't want to stress him or myself.
Actually he was a good boy getting weighed .
He wasn't stressed at all .
He can be a sweet boy once he is out of his cage.
We never had any issues with stressed out birds.
Penny too was calm about getting a weight in...

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
He likely will fill out. Maks stayed like that for a bit and then all of the sudden he became very full bodied. He has a broader chest than the others. Even one of my friends commented after not seeing him for a bit that he had gotten bigger.