• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tobias is here!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
He might feel comfy sleeping around the food bowl or protecting it. Do you have a high perch he can easily gain access to?
They generally like to sleep higher up to feel safer. Maybe there are toys around the perch that he will need to get used to before he sleeps on the perch. Maybe have one perch higher up that does not have too much around it. Then again sometimes they like to hide behind something.
You will have to watch him & try to figure out what he prefers & work wit that to get him to sleep in a nice spot by arranging it to suit him.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Good you try to not overload him with attention as its cute now that he begs for attention but it won;t be if he learns to be obsessive about it. Sounds like you are handling it well & he may just be reaching out to you for reassurance & safety in the new home. You could try covering the cage partially to give him a safe corner to retreat too if he feels the need. Sounds like he is very socialized though.

It's also a new honeymoon period so you can't judge his true behavior until he gets comfortable in his new environment. Babys will also grow & mature so you have a way to go until he is an established adult.
I was always told that about Rio as the Foster only had him a few weeks. That's basically why I waited as long as I did. It was at least a month before I decided as I figured no one could know a bird was really not a screamer by just having them a week or 2. Good thing Rio is not.
He was never doted on in his first home as he was one of many birds free flighted in a bird room so he never learned any bad habits for needy attention. That was the most important thing for me as I really can't deal with a bird that wants something all day & calls out constantly even though you are in the room with them.

I'd give up cuddly needy for a content quiet bird any day. I don't mean no sound quiet just moderate controlled interaction.
Its more important for the bird to be happy than it is for me to satisfy a need to hold them. Its not natural or healthy for that much physical
interaction anyway. Many get hung up on a bird being more like a lapdog or even a cat but its just not realistic.

Enjoy!!!!
Oh gosh you really got put through the ringer when it came to trying to get a baby. That is a tad unfortune that Rio wasnt the snuggly babe you'd hoped for but I am glad that yall have an understanding and that he has a happy loving home with you.
Oh no worries there, as much as I desperately want to just snuggle and play with him all day I want a quiet independent when needed bird much more. Iv had good luck with that when I got Zazu at 3 months old she was my first ever baby Id only had adult rehomes before and I was so worried that I would mess her up and have a horrible cage hating screamer on my hands but she ended up being really good at independent play for the most part. So I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to do the same with Tobias. He certainly wants out a lot after I put him up and he doesn't like going into the cage he keeps flying at me and trying to run up my arm before I can close the door but once I get him inside but I just calmly tell him easy Tobias your ok and ignore him for the most part so he doesn't get a reaction and feed off of it. Its been harder since some of the time he's yelling while he does it but I'm sitting literally 2 feet from him and talking softly to him so he can still see me and know I'm there for him.
I'd whistle or hum or sing to let him know you are there. Make it less personally a reward.
He can see you & if you respond to each sound you are in a sense teaching him to do it more. Did you try to put on a radio & play some music?

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He might feel comfy sleeping around the food bowl or protecting it. Do you have a high perch he can easily gain access to?
They generally like to sleep higher up to feel safer. Maybe there are toys around the perch that he will need to get used to before he sleeps on the perch. Maybe have one perch higher up that does not have too much around it. Then again sometimes they like to hide behind something.
You will have to watch him & try to figure out what he prefers & work wit that to get him to sleep in a nice spot by arranging it to suit him.
I do have two perches that are higher up in the cage 1 straight perch and one flat platform perch,he's still just in his baby cage for now. He's 5 months old but still clumsy and learning his way around and getting used to his new home. So he'll be in here for a few days and then transition to his big boy cage of an HQ flight.

Good you try to not overload him with attention as its cute now that he begs for attention but it won;t be if he learns to be obsessive about it. Sounds like you are handling it well & he may just be reaching out to you for reassurance & safety in the new home. You could try covering the cage partially to give him a safe corner to retreat too if he feels the need. Sounds like he is very socialized though.

It's also a new honeymoon period so you can't judge his true behavior until he gets comfortable in his new environment. Babys will also grow & mature so you have a way to go until he is an established adult.
I was always told that about Rio as the Foster only had him a few weeks. That's basically why I waited as long as I did. It was at least a month before I decided as I figured no one could know a bird was really not a screamer by just having them a week or 2. Good thing Rio is not.
He was never doted on in his first home as he was one of many birds free flighted in a bird room so he never learned any bad habits for needy attention. That was the most important thing for me as I really can't deal with a bird that wants something all day & calls out constantly even though you are in the room with them.

I'd give up cuddly needy for a content quiet bird any day. I don't mean no sound quiet just moderate controlled interaction.
Its more important for the bird to be happy than it is for me to satisfy a need to hold them. Its not natural or healthy for that much physical
interaction anyway. Many get hung up on a bird being more like a lapdog or even a cat but its just not realistic.

Enjoy!!!!

I'd whistle or hum or sing to let him know you are there. Make it less personally a reward.
He can see you & if you respond to each sound you are in a sense teaching him to do it more. Did you try to put on a radio & play some music?
I've been with him all day alternating between having him out and having him be in the cage. I reward him with praise when he's being quiet or playing with his toys and he's already so much better about not freaking out as much and running around yelling. He's only done it a handful of times today vs the many times yesterday he's much better about amusing himself now and will watch me calmly and quietly . We've had several good snuggle and playtime sessions today so everything is going well. For this only being his first full day its a big improvement so im pleased with how its going. I've had the tv on for him as well today and he seems to like it.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sounds great. He's in a new house so there is alot to get used to.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds great. He's in a new house so there is alot to get used to.
Yup for sure. I don't expect him to be perfect right away(though wouldnt that be great ;) But he really is doing so much better,its a big adjustment alright going from being in a home with many other birds and a cage mate to keep him entertained and to cuddle and play with to being with a stranger literally across the state. I'm doing my best to help him transition to his new life as smoothly and gently as I can. I just want to do right by him and make him as happy and well adjusted as I can. I've waited 12 years for this to happen so I want everything to go perfect (Which I know there is no such thing especially with parrots but...;) so I'm just going at his pace and luckily he seems to be transitioning to his new home exceptionally well thanks to his wonderful upbringing in a home environment. I know its only the very early days and not to jinx myself but I think we are both going to be very happy together :)

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds like you have had a good start with him

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Congrats! Looks like an awesome little guy!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! Looks like an awesome little guy!
He really is so wonderful! He's still pretty sweet a little more opinionated now about when he doesnt wanna step up he will yell a certain way and puff up a bit and nip at my finger but that's only when I'm trying to get him to stop doing something naughty like chew my sheets ;) lol. But still hasn't drawn blood or anything like that and loves to be with me and snuggle under my hair and lay on his back in my hand.