• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To Wheel Or Not to Wheel?

Fi404

Moving in
Real Name
Fi
I have had my 2 feathered friends for 3 months now and they are kept in a beautiful big cage on wheels indoors. Should I move them around occasionally....do they get bored looking at the same view? They have PLENTY of toys. Maybe I’m just over thinking things!?

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
This is sort of funny, because usually people have got the opposite ideas. You don’t have to move them but you want to, it’s usually more of a, ‘you have to move them but you don’t want to’ sort of circumstance. This is because birds, especially budgies, can get stressed out by just the slightest change in their surroundings. You do of course, have to let them out to fly around and get exercise, or else they will get very, very, very bored. But moving their cage is not necessary. :)

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wheel my boys around with me when I work around the house if they are in the cage. Their sleep room is one spot. I also leave them there is I have to leave the house for errands or work. They come with me to the kitchen or the dining room while I am working at home for the day, or in front of what I call 'bird TV' which is in front of the locked storm door. In the kitchen, they have their out of cage time in the kitchen, living room. So, yeah, I wheel them around. To me, it's good desensitization training to be exposed to different views and locations.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on the birds. Some don't do well with change, others are unphased.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
At 3 months old mine were still getting used to their surroundings. Now that they are older (age 3 years) I move them if I'm having people over for the evening, or if they're missing out on something in the other room. They stay in my bedroom, and the cage is open all day for them to fly as they wish, but they are pretty much homebodies. Three or four laps around the room seems to be their routine.