• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

to toy or not to toy

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaliEckies

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So I was always under the impression it was beneficial to a young bird to be presented with new toys as a baby. Showing them new shapes, colors etc would only help them get use to new things in their environment and help with mental stimulation.
Having said that though a Huge bird breeder and bird supply store local to me in Socal actually surprised me and said that they do not recommend baby birds to have toys etc present. When I brought home our new baby Macaw they said not to place any toys etc in the cage with him. Have him in the cage all day but for the 3 times you take him our for 15 minutes at a time. No play stands also. Their theory if you don't present the new bird with toys they will see coming out of their cage and you as the best part of the day and this will make they bond faster with you. If they had all kinds of toys and fun stuff in their cages why would they ever want to come out.
Now I believe young birds should be presented with new toys on a nice rotation every week. I do this with my new baby Macaw. He has new toys of different shapes sizes etc placed in his cage every 2-3 days. He loves them. He also loves his out of the cage time and time with the family.
Your thoughts? -- To be noted they only recommend no toys etc for the first 5-6 months then once the bird is almost a year to then present toys to the bird.

ParkersMom

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
I have a baby BF zon and I brought him home to a cage full of toys ... not too many mind you... but he loves both his toys and his out of cage time

snoepgoed123

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
that's just silly. You don't want your bird to think of his cage as a prison. I know for my guy, getting him in his cage at the end of the day is a challenge, and thats with lots of toys for him. Trust me, once your bird gets used to you, he or she will want to come out and want to spend time with you.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I highly disagree with that. If you aren't there all day the baby is just going to get bored. Babies of any species need lots of mental stimulation. Playing with a toy is nothing compared to the social needs that are being met by playing with his new family. I'm sure he'll look forward to coming out to play anyways unless he wasn't raised to view people as positive things. My guess if that the bird store probably didn't take the time to socialize him properly and now is counting on you to do that.

illuminati

Walking the driveway
I would def. put toys in there you want them to enjoy there cage...I loaded my cage with toys and perches of all types and my baby wasn't afraid at all...mabe I'm just lucky but my bird isn't afraid of much...only green lettuce :confused:...hahah

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
What a lot of nonsense! So what's the poor baby to do all day in their opinion :confused:
It's highly likely baby would turn to 'playing' by pulling/chewing feathers etc ... and another plucker is born :(
That pet store needs to get real, there are enough pluckers and birds bored out of their minds as it is, it doesn't have to be promoted by so-called "experts" on top of it :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.