• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

to or not to take in a miserable craigslist bird

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
100% this. I once met a fellow who demanded to come to my home to do a "home check" when rehoming a Black-Headed Caique. NOPE.
absolutely not!! that’s super scary!! i ask for video verification google backtrack and a public BUSY place to exchange the bird before i do anything with my money or safety!!

Gypsy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
I would at least go and check out the bird or I couldn't live with my conscience. When I made arrangements to get my Rudy, I drove from Georgia to Arkansas and didn't know if I was even going to bring the bird home. If the bird didn't come home with me, it would have ended up in somebody's barn with a bunch of other birds. That didn't sit well with me. Sometimes people say there is a rehome fee just to see if anyone interested is serious and may not charge at all. I have read about this which makes me very happy. I didn't pay a rehome fee for my little boy but paid in other ways such as gas for 24 hour driving trip, new cage and toys. It was a long drive, but very much worth the trip. If the current owner really wants to get rid of the bird, he may drop the fee.

Birds that are abused will scream but maybe with a little work and new environment, the bad habit of screaming will stop. I also have a macaw who screamed a lot when he was younger. He was not a rescue, but screamed for no reason whatsoever. He doesn't do it any more.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I would at least go and check out the bird or I couldn't live with my conscience. When I made arrangements to get my Rudy, I drove from Georgia to Arkansas and didn't know if I was even going to bring the bird home. If the bird didn't come home with me, it would have ended up in somebody's barn with a bunch of other birds. That didn't sit well with me. Sometimes people say there is a rehome fee just to see if anyone interested is serious and may not charge at all. I have read about this which makes me very happy. I didn't pay a rehome fee for my little boy but paid in other ways such as gas for 24 hour driving trip, new cage and toys. It was a long drive, but very much worth the trip. If the current owner really wants to get rid of the bird, he may drop the fee.

Birds that are abused will scream but maybe with a little work and new environment, the bad habit of screaming will stop. I also have a macaw who screamed a lot when he was younger. He was not a rescue, but screamed for no reason whatsoever. He doesn't do it any more.
i decided i’d wait a bit till i get him, but the possibility is very open and i asked the current owners to tell me if he was being rehomed. i agree! i think his behavior is cause of his situation and even then, cockatoos scream, birds in general are loud and shouldn’t have one if they want a silent pet.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
A sad story. Is it possible to encourage/advise the current owners to improve his situation a bit with some toys and better care? If you explain that his current set up is part of the problem, without appearing as rude, they may be willing to improve his life at least a little?

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
A sad story. Is it possible to encourage/advise the current owners to improve his situation a bit with some toys and better care? If you explain that his current set up is part of the problem, without appearing as rude, they may be willing to improve his life at least a little?
i think they’re just done with him, i don’t think that they wanna give him anything, his cage looked really really dirty like years of dirt build up. i think that people that are that far down won’t change, but id love to try if i can put it in the right words!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I was looking at CL last night for the first time in a year or two. There was someone selling or giving away budgies. He had a photo of one large cage with more than twenty budgies inside. Barely room enough for one of them to move or fly. Said he got carried away and has too many now. Wanted to have something to do during Covid. So self serving. I feel so bad for these birds. Cant have birds any more though for lung issues. I hope they find good homes.

Gypsy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Denise
If the cage was nasty as barbsOnly, then why make the bird stay in a horrible environment? You aren't doing the bird any favor allowing his to stay there. The people have no love for the bird.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
If the cage was nasty as barbsOnly, then why make the bird stay in a horrible environment? You aren't doing the bird any favor allowing his to stay there. The people have no love for the bird.
it would be just as bad to get a too on a whim, even if it was a good deed in the beginning it can snowball and become horrible for both me and the bird. i need to be sure of my decision and if i snap the owners in the wrong way they might refuse to sell to me when i am ready. i have to take things slow and do things well in order for this to go smoothly. if i could drive to get him rn i would. i don’t have a setup fit for a too and my schedule isn’t what it’s gonna be in a few months. birds need stability ESPECIALLY toos and new birds who don’t know you’re always going to be there yet and i can’t do that rn for him. if i can word things correctly and tell the owners what’s obvious ill probably say something to the current home. but i really do think that they don’t care about the bird and just simply want him out

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I was looking at CL last night for the first time in a year or two. There was someone selling or giving away budgies. He had a photo of one large cage with more than twenty budgies inside. Barely room enough for one of them to move or fly. Said he got carried away and has too many now. Wanted to have something to do during Covid. So self serving. I feel so bad for these birds. Cant have birds any more though for lung issues. I hope they find good homes.
that’s heartbreaking. but at least a few will find good homes! covid pets really did ruin a lot of animals chances of happiness who could’ve had a quality life

Jogging around the block
That's terrible, I too hope they get good homes.
Budgies are so underestimated, they like any animal are a commitment. Not just 'something to do during Covid'.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
Is there any way we can get someone else to adopt him, perhaps through this forum, or another one? Or perhaps you know some other local bird owners?

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Is there any way we can get someone else to adopt him, perhaps through this forum, or another one? Or perhaps you know some other local bird owners?
i can probably ask people in my area, maybe a store that takes in birds? if anyone’s in new mexico and willing to take on the bird i could probably send the ad with the ppls permision? :p

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
You could always take him in temporarily, and rehome him if he's a problem. He has a better chance that way, and it may well work out anyway.
this is actually a really good idea!!

ZekeZack

Strolling the yard
I second the person who said to see if the owners would take him to a rescue. For only $200 I'd be tempted to buy him and take him myself, poor thing sounds so neglected and abused. If you're looking for a too and don't mind getting a rescue then it sounds like this guy could really use a good home. Although I understand if you're hesitant to get a rescue, it's definitely a different kind of commitment and not one I was up to when I got my boys. But I definitely respect people who can help hurting birds heal like that.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I second the person who said to see if the owners would take him to a rescue. For only $200 I'd be tempted to buy him and take him myself, poor thing sounds so neglected and abused. If you're looking for a too and don't mind getting a rescue then it sounds like this guy could really use a good home. Although I understand if you're hesitant to get a rescue, it's definitely a different kind of commitment and not one I was up to when I got my boys. But I definitely respect people who can help hurting birds heal like that.
yeah i emailed them awhile ago and haven’t heard any updates, i love rescues. it’s rewarding even tho not everyone is able or willing to handle a rescue bird :)

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
Frankly, I say yes. At least you're getting them out of a miserable situation. It may not be forever, but for a little while you can make a difference.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Frankly, I say yes. At least you're getting them out of a miserable situation. It may not be forever, but for a little while you can make a difference.
yeah i decided a bit ago that when i get the money for the set up and if he’s still available i’ll be getting him. till then i sent them a rescue where they’re from. sorry for not updating i’m forgetful!!