• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

to or not to take in a miserable craigslist bird

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
i know craigslist is a horrible place to get a bird. and i know it’s not smart to buy from, i didn’t expect to get a cockatoo for another 9 months - a year minimum. i have cage plans and a fund for one because of the complexity of the species and how much time you have to commit, ive done my research and have experience with big birds and rescue cockatoos. i go through craigslist and look at all of the animals pretty frequently (guilty pleasure) with no intention to buy ANYTHING my area is pretty woke about parrot care with a few exceptions, usually its loving owners moving into places who don’t allow exotic pets or whatever. looking at the cockatoos in my area i’ve seen one consistent ad, it’s been there for MONTHS. very vague very sketchy and it seems like they wanna get the bird off their back. which is suspicious and i wasn’t interested at all. then they posted a more detailed ad with pictures, the cage setup was appalling and it broke my heart. no toys one perch, dirty, almost dusty to make it worse the “adoption fee” is 200$ almost dooming him to a life just like his current one. however they posted a THIRD separate ad i assume from a different member of the home this updated ad was more honest, they said he had behavior issues and was about 27. i contacted the email to ask more about him, i have no idea why but i felt compelled. they answered back with the usual phrasing. “issue” “problem bird” “bad behavior” all while blaming the bird, they said he had a HORRIBLE screaming problem and shouldn’t be with small children but if kept in the cage can be a great viewing pet and how i was one of four ppl that contacted them about him and how the others backed out either when they came to the house and heard the screams or when they saw the bites he inflicted on the “owners” the entire thing ruined my week and i couldn’t stop thinking about him. i’m 99% sure i won’t get him unless he’s there for another 9 months lmao. i share this because it only solidified that i’m going to adopt when getting the new baby. i really genuinely hope this brings clarity to the situations of some parrots and how important it is to adopt if you can. birds aren’t shiny new toys that are only good when they’re babies :heart:
edits: clearing up the number of ads LMAO

Last edited:

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
As miserable as that animal may be, you don't want to end up in a situation where you're not ready for an animal and you both end up even more miserable. It also sounds like you're giving yourself excuses not to get him. Do you think the owners would be receptive to the suggestion of turning him over to a rescue or do you think the asking price is really important to them?

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I got my macaw Seamus off a Facebook post asking for a new home (I joined the group for one day, saw his new post and immediately left that local bird page once I picked him up. I couldn’t stand seeing all the birds that needed homes). He was in awful shape. I wouldn’t change getting him for anything, but it is very much a game of unknowns. Vet bills for neglected birds, even ones with no outwardly obvious concerns, can rapidly skyrocket.

Behaviors are all so individual, but traumatized parrots often need a very understanding home with no judgement. Just consistent love and care regardless of how much they don’t want to believe they can trust us at first.

I don’t think it’s dumb to rescue a parrot in need from Craigslist if and when you’re ready. Where they come from, Craigslist or rescue, makes them no less worthy of the love they should have.

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I've gotten two parrots off Craigslist. No major problems. But, I picked the ones that did not have major problems. My main issue would be quarantine. Or, if the price is very low, then I would worry about being scammed.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
I think you should go for it! That cockatoo deserves all the love he can get (sounds like he needs it)! You said yourself that they are a complex species. It sounds like his current owner is not meeting his needs, emotionally and physically. If you are ready, have done your research and want to proceed, I think you are doing a great thing! Keep us updated! :) :heart:

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
That poor ‘too. It really hurts your heart to see animals in bad situations :sad3:

I’m in a similar-ish boat in that I’d like to adopt another bird but there’s some major timing and life situation stuff, including a job change and a move, that need to happen before I can even begin to think about it realistically. So why then do I check my local rescue’s adoptables page at least once a week? I’m not helping a bird by doing this. I get frustrated with myself sometimes.

Anyway, as long as you practice the same basic safety stuff as you would with buying anything on craigslist to protect yourself from scams and shady dealings, I don’t think it’s inherently a bad place to get a pet. I’m a LITTLE biased since that’s where I got my Jazzy bird, and I know a few people who have gotten really excellent “gently used” dogs via craigslist as well. That said… if you aren’t ready and won’t be until next year, then you aren’t ready. It sounds like you’re being realistic with yourself about it and that’s best for you and the future bird.

Jogging around the block
I know how you feel. I have to go to the pet shop regularly and it breaks my heart to see the ones in bad shape, I also have a habit of looking on sites and rescues..
I'd be a bit careful of if it might be a scam as well, it's a pretty common thing. Although not always.
Poor little 'too
If you aren't 100% ready for the bird, don't do it. It's hard I know, but it could mean a worse situation for the both of you.

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a hard call. I wouldn't take issue with the Craigslist part. If the bird is having a hard life, it would be better that somebody who will treat him right take him in, rather than somebody buying on impulse.

The fact that he is a "problem bird" is the main question. Firstly whether you are willing and patient enough to take him on. There's no shame in saying you aren't - it's no good making a situation worse.

It also is worth considering that his bad behaviour is likely associated with his current living conditions. If he's in a tiny, sparse cage and never given any attention, he's bound to act out. I would be yelling too!

Basically, if you are willing to take on a challenge, you'll likely have the support of people on here :)

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I think you should go for it! That cockatoo deserves all the love he can get (sounds like he needs it)! You said yourself that they are a complex species. It sounds like his current owner is not meeting his needs, emotionally and physically. If you are ready, have done your research and want to proceed, I think you are doing a great thing! Keep us updated! :) :heart:
i’m so so tempted. he seems like a sweet bird. And 9 times out of 10 it’s the owners handling skills that make them seem that way

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I know how you feel. I have to go to the pet shop regularly and it breaks my heart to see the ones in bad shape, I also have a habit of looking on sites and rescues..
I'd be a bit careful of if it might be a scam as well, it's a pretty common thing. Although not always.
Poor little 'too
If you aren't 100% ready for the bird, don't do it. It's hard I know, but it could mean a worse situation for the both of you.
oh definitely, even if i wanted him at this very minute and would do anything to have him i’d have to wait for the stuff to get him. there’s no cheapening out on birds, especially rescues

It's a hard call. I wouldn't take issue with the Craigslist part. If the bird is having a hard life, it would be better that somebody who will treat him right take him in, rather than somebody buying on impulse.

The fact that he is a "problem bird" is the main question. Firstly whether you are willing and patient enough to take him on. There's no shame in saying you aren't - it's no good making a situation worse.

It also is worth considering that his bad behaviour is likely associated with his current living conditions. If he's in a tiny, sparse cage and never given any attention, he's bound to act out. I would be yelling too!

Basically, if you are willing to take on a challenge, you'll likely have the support of people on here :)
i definitely want him, i think he’ll be up for AWHILE, especially when ppl in my area are giving away babies and large enclosures. i asked them to tell me if he went to a rescue or anything so i could track him and see how well he’s doing ! :)

As miserable as that animal may be, you don't want to end up in a situation where you're not ready for an animal and you both end up even more miserable. It also sounds like you're giving yourself excuses not to get him. Do you think the owners would be receptive to the suggestion of turning him over to a rescue or do you think the asking price is really important to them?
places in our area are skeptical about taking toos, especially ones that have supposed issues my guess is they already went that route, but who knows 200$ is a really cheap amount for a too, they might just be desperate to get him a new home . i did ask that they lmk if they give him to a rescue so i can track him over there. i was giving myself plenty of excuses!! i really really really want him but don’t want to make anything worse.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
That poor ‘too. It really hurts your heart to see animals in bad situations :sad3:

I’m in a similar-ish boat in that I’d like to adopt another bird but there’s some major timing and life situation stuff, including a job change and a move, that need to happen before I can even begin to think about it realistically. So why then do I check my local rescue’s adoptables page at least once a week? I’m not helping a bird by doing this. I get frustrated with myself sometimes.

Anyway, as long as you practice the same basic safety stuff as you would with buying anything on craigslist to protect yourself from scams and shady dealings, I don’t think it’s inherently a bad place to get a pet. I’m a LITTLE biased since that’s where I got my Jazzy bird, and I know a few people who have gotten really excellent “gently used” dogs via craigslist as well. That said… if you aren’t ready and won’t be until next year, then you aren’t ready. It sounds like you’re being realistic with yourself about it and that’s best for you and the future bird.
i try to be realistic but that ad had me wanting to drive 2 hrs to go pick him up and never come back. i think i’ll wait a few. months and see if he’s still there and maybe pay for boarding or something? i honestly have no clue and i really feel bad for the guy :( especially since he’s an M2 and they can be so loud, i suspect neglect at least and abuse at most

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I got my macaw Seamus off a Facebook post asking for a new home (I joined the group for one day, saw his new post and immediately left that local bird page once I picked him up. I couldn’t stand seeing all the birds that needed homes). He was in awful shape. I wouldn’t change getting him for anything, but it is very much a game of unknowns. Vet bills for neglected birds, even ones with no outwardly obvious concerns, can rapidly skyrocket.

Behaviors are all so individual, but traumatized parrots often need a very understanding home with no judgement. Just consistent love and care regardless of how much they don’t want to believe they can trust us at first.

I don’t think it’s dumb to rescue a parrot in need from Craigslist if and when you’re ready. Where they come from, Craigslist or rescue, makes them no less worthy of the love they should have.
that’s so so good to hear. i really do wanna give him a good home. i just don’t want to make the current situation worse then it can be, but i have a suspicion it might just be the owners and their way of handling him

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would worry less about where the cockatoo came from and more about whether you're ready. As I know you're aware, a 'too is a huge commitment. You need the space, the time and the money. Hopefully, this bird has no medical issues but a vet check is going to be a must. And of course, a big cage and lots of toys. My cockatoo is a big food thrower. So in addition to just the regular food expense, he wastes a lot. I think that's pretty common with cockatoos. And he's loud. So, something else to keep in mind depending on your living situation. I don't have neighbors close enough to complain but there are days he drives my fiance crazy. I completely understand wanting to help this bird. He does sound sweet and in need of a good home. But you just have to make sure you're also thinking about this with your head and not just your heart.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I would worry less about where the cockatoo came from and more about whether you're ready. As I know you're aware, a 'too is a huge commitment. You need the space, the time and the money. Hopefully, this bird has no medical issues but a vet check is going to be a must. And of course, a big cage and lots of toys. My cockatoo is a big food thrower. So in addition to just the regular food expense, he wastes a lot. I think that's pretty common with cockatoos. And he's loud. So, something else to keep in mind depending on your living situation. I don't have neighbors close enough to complain but there are days he drives my fiance crazy. I completely understand wanting to help this bird. He does sound sweet and in need of a good home. But you just have to make sure you're also thinking about this with your head and not just your heart.
of course, ive been prepping for a long time. with the rep they get i was just a bit nervous having one in my home 24 hours out of the day. i’m gonna wait on it and see if he gets adopted out. i’m VERY happy i live in a house and not an apartment lmao. the money isn’t a problem, i just wanna make sure i dont regret the decision and make it worse for him. he seems like a sweet boy in need of a lot of attention

Gigibirds

Just because he's on Craigslist doesn't change anything. I've gotten some of my pets from there, and even Mango was a craigslist rescue! (she had foot issues from the lack of perches, she was on a terrible diet, she was stuck in a tiny cage, etc.)
I felt ready to take care of her, even though I knew she might need some extra help. If you feel the same way, then I say go for it! But if you are nervous or doubting yourself, maybe wait a while. Best of luck to you and the 'too!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The thing about CL is when you are going for a higher priced bird like a Cockatoo usually is you run into scammers many times so be careful no matter how bad the situation sounds.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
at the end of the day it’s up to what you think and feel, if u think ur in a place to take care of him I’m sure he would be very happy to come to you, even if he never becomes too big of a people bird, (or who knows maybe he turns out to be very friendly in a new environment), regardless I hope that poor bird ends up in a better place

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
Just because he's on Craigslist doesn't change anything. I've gotten some of my pets from there, and even Mango was a craigslist rescue! (she had foot issues from the lack of perches, she was on a terrible diet, she was stuck in a tiny cage, etc.)
I felt ready to take care of her, even though I knew she might need some extra help. If you feel the same way, then I say go for it! But if you are nervous or doubting yourself, maybe wait a while. Best of luck to you and the 'too!
your birds are the cutest!! i don’t mind that hed come from craigslist, i’m just a worry wart LMAO. ill be sure to update everyone when i can!!