• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To do bloodwork or not?

PrrtFriemd

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello. We have a male 6 month old white bellied caique named Bojji, have had him for about 4 months. I am not sure when it started, because at first we tried to convince ourselves it was his diet, but approximetely 50% of his poops are polyuric when he is out of his cage. Usually the first poop he has after we take him out is liquidy but afterwards it becomes more dry and theres less urine. Its hard to say how he poops when in his cage. It has been going on for at least a month. The feces part of his droppings is uniform and of normal consistency, urates white. No abnormal smell, no blood.

His behavior is normal. He is active, chatty, friendly, and playful. His usual self. He eats well. As far as we can tell, his water intake is normal

On Tuesday, I finally decided to take him to see a vet. At that point we had him on pellets only for 2 days to rule out stomach upset or any kind of food intolerance. No abnormalities were found on physical examination. His droppings were swabbed for pathogenic bacteria, yeast, and parasites. The test came back negative for everything

Today, I received a call from the vet and they suggested possible steps we could take next to figure out whats going on.
1. Bloodwork
2. Sedated xray
3. Course of antibiotics just in case

Of course, there are risks with all of these. I am not sure what to do. He is a small bird, and I am scared that he would get too stressed during bloodwork or wont stop bleeding and ultimately go into cardiac arrest. Should we try antibiotics? But what if he has kidney issues or diabetes? Could polyurea be caused just by molting? Ir maybe he is just very excited when we take him out of the cage? I am scared to hurt him with these procedures but at the same time I am scared to miss something in case theres something more going on.

Please anydvise would be very appreciated!

20231027_151437.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've had blood work done on a 55g green cheek without issues (not to mention a Hahns, 2 Quakers, and a Jardine's). If you trust your vet, blood work is a usually a safe procedure :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've had to be both ways. I had bloodwork every 3 months on my at least 12 years old Greenie with fatty liver disease and she never had a single problem. I'd also gotten her sedated xrays and ultrasounds and she went on antibiotics several times over the years for minor infections.

But sadly I did lose my 3 years old healthy Green Cheek to a blood draw but it was just a terrible fluke and no one's fault and she'd had 2 previous blood draws that went picture perfect.

Even having lost her to that I'd still always say get a baseline blood at least once to know and you can go from there. I never had a single issue before that and that's almost a dozen at least blood draws between the 2 birds.