• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To Clip or Not To Clip...

To Clip or not to Clip...

• Clip those suckers!

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Long and luscious!

Votes: 24 92.3%

• Total voters

issajoy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa
People get very heated about this subject here.

Remember that a properly clipped bird can still fly - they just can't gain much height or go very far distances. They can fly down from the top of the cage, or parallel to the floor. Even with a clipped bird, it is important that they know how to fly.

Clipping is a very personal decision and there are a lot of factors that play into that decision. You really have to weigh the personality of the bird, the situation in the home, factor in whether they go outside, ect.

If you decide to clip, I personally think the best method is do it gradually, getting a few feathers trimmed at a time so the bird has some time to adjust to the clip. This also lets you see how the clip affects the bird, and figure out the right number of feathers to clip. This is what my vet suggested to me - it is less drastic of a change for the bird as well, and helps them adjust better.

A proper clip does not make a bird unable to fly. It's more like managed flight.

New Concept: Managed Flight, Not Wing Clipping - Hari

CupcakeKeator

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
By clipping the birds wings you're forcing it to interact with you, You need to earn your bird's friendship and respect, not force it and if you read a lot of posts on training, there is one common theme "don't force the bird". Some people call wing clipping "forced helplessness' others call it "forced dependence". either way it's the same thing. The bird is now handicapped which makes it impossible to for the bird to successfully escape or control a stressful situation.

This is a good point, Hiro came clipped when we picked him up from the breeders, which is prolly an okay idea on the breeders part, especially for new bird owners. Gives us a chance to interact with the bird, understand their body language, and now that his wings have grown back, I now know what to expect being that he has slowly began to start flying, gives him time to adjust as well as me adjust to his new flight feathers. Very scary when they first start flying around, I sure was in a total panic. But he seems to just fly to me when he starts flying. He has never flew away from me to get away, yet. When he does fly, its usually when he is startled by something outside, or from some loud noise outside, to which he flies over to me.

He seems to stay either in his cage, on his playtop, or somewhere on my person. He has not decided to just fly around the house yet. Which I'm actually really glad he has not done that yet. I'm very short, and if he was to get stuck somewhere high, I wouldn't be able to help him back down. But I guess we will cross that bridge when we get there!

I did begin to see him get startled, take flight, then land back on this playtop. So I think he is getting used to it. It's still scary for me though. But I am adjusting to his flight feathers. My hubby has to pay extra attention when he goes out on the back porch though now, because Hiro loves both of us, and hates when either of us leave the room where he can't get to. So we've been watching more carefully so he does not think he can just join us out in the vast open sky :scared3:. I would be one very unhappy lady if he got swept by the wind. :dontgo::sad4:

Sorry, got distracted. But yes, giving the bird the independence to go where he wants, i like that idea. Because as you mentioned, some birds once they have their wings cant wait to get away from their owners because of the forced dependence. I'm glad my little birb has been flying TO me and not AWAY from me. Still working on the recall... LOL. But takes time. So by you saying that it makes me feel like I have created a pretty solid bond with my birb. I never force him to do anything, I have made sure that it's usually on his terms. I've heard they know very well how to hold grudges. :angry101: HAHA. :roflmao:

I'm also going to need to invest in a good flight harness. because he used to come outside with me on this play top when me and hubby sat outside and enjoyed our coffee in the mornings. but.. he can't now that he can fly. And I miss that. I'm sure he does too. He loves snuggling up to my warm cup of coffee in my lap (no, he does not get any) HAHA.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I think I'm just going to have to focus more on training him with wings, It's just so hard when he gets startled and flies every which way.

I will say it was convenient when he was on my shoulder, needed to relieve himself, he flew off of me, went, and then asked to come back.

I'm just a worried Mom because he has flown into the window twice. It has internal blinds in the glass, so I've kept those closed, but he still decided to fly into it. I'm not sure what is so appealing, maybe he sees reflection? not sure. But I've read horror stories of snapped necks, due to smacking into the window or the wall. But I suppose as you've all mentioned, even when he was clipped he was able to hover to where he wanted as well.

I just hope he gets less clumsy with his flying... he's a total mess at the moment.
He might be seeing the reflection of the room in the window and figuring there's more space than there is. If he steps up for you or if you can hold him, show him the windows and tap his beak on them all over the place. I know it sounds stupid but I've found that it helps. If you have ribbons or even newspaper in your house cut/tear strips and curl them with scissors and tape them in different locations on the windows he is flying into. Remember mirrors too. There are window decals you can buy online which are a pretty good deal - I found one with 24 UV decals - they can be used inside or out - so if you have birds hitting your windows outside these will help stop that too. Cling Designs - SuperClings

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella gets clipped once a year and that is around the Halloween party. With 80 people in the house and her crying in her cage to be let out, I don't trust her so I clip her but she grows out her feathers pretty quickly so before long, she is back to flying. She flies so much that when she was at the vet for a routine visit, the vet couldn't figure out why she was solid but still weighed the same and that was because she has muscles!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
People get very heated about this subject here.

Remember that a properly clipped bird can still fly - they just can't gain much height or go very far distances. They can fly down from the top of the cage, or parallel to the floor. Even with a clipped bird, it is important that they know how to fly.

Clipping is a very personal decision and there are a lot of factors that play into that decision. You really have to weigh the personality of the bird, the situation in the home, factor in whether they go outside, ect.

If you decide to clip, I personally think the best method is do it gradually, getting a few feathers trimmed at a time so the bird has some time to adjust to the clip. This also lets you see how the clip affects the bird, and figure out the right number of feathers to clip. This is what my vet suggested to me - it is less drastic of a change for the bird as well, and helps them adjust better.

A proper clip does not make a bird unable to fly. It's more like managed flight.

New Concept: Managed Flight, Not Wing Clipping - Hari
There are at least two types of wing clips - a "show" clip which leaves the flight feathers so that a folded wing looks as if it is intact. The complete clip trims all the feathers. That said, if you take a smaller bird like a tiel or gcc (or even a sun) they can still fly with a show clip - it just takes a bit more effort and you hear the flapping. The complete clip does not stop the smaller ones and if you are outside, no matter what type of clip or size bird, your bird can be gone in a split second if it isn't harnessed or in a container and there's a strong breeze or a gust of wind. Been there, done that, never again.

Leaving them flighted means they exercise all the muscles God gave them to use for flying and it makes them stronger and healthier (in my book). As @issajoy said, it gets very personal just like free-flying or not.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
All our birds are not clipped. We feel birds need to the ability to respond to any perceived danger with fight or flight. With clipped wings the flight can't take place so all they have left to defend themselves is with FIGHT and FIGHT they will even if that is with you.
Fight-or-Flight-Response.jpg

Birbs&Poodles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julia
My newest budgie Kiwi was clipped on the breeders advice, my first budgie was clipped as well when he came home and his personality and bonding with me was so nice that I thought it would be best for Kiwi. But really it's too short a clip, she can only jump and climb at the moment and she can't keep up with Sweetpea who is now flighted. My poor girl, now that I know better I'll never clip again. Hurry up and grow those feathers my sweet girl.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Unclipped 1,000%.

My then-17-year-old Meyer’s came clipped and was miserable and mean. I let her feathers grow in and she became more loving, trustful, confident and happy.

Sure, she got into things and chewed up one picture frame. It’s our job to redirect that energy in healthy and safe ways.

My then-8-year-old CAG came clipped and it’s taken her 8 more years to grow confident enough to fly on her own, and it’s amazing! A few weeks ago she flew from the kitchen counter across the dining room into the living room and landed on top of her cage. It was amazing.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My little girl came clipped and it will be a long wait until she is fully feathered. Right now she can fly to the chair next to her cage and down to the floor. She often does a vigorous flapping session on a perch so hopefully she is using those muscles. We will see what happens when she gets her wings back, might be a long time, but I'm looking forward to it.

Birbs&Poodles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julia
My little girl came clipped and it will be a long wait until she is fully feathered. Right now she can fly to the chair next to her cage and down to the floor. She often does a vigorous flapping session on a perch so hopefully she is using those muscles. We will see what happens when she gets her wings back, might be a long time, but I'm looking forward to it.
My boy budgie grew his feathers back fairly fast...3 months? He was clipped early March and can now fly everywhere in the house. There are still clipped feathers present but he's got enough back that his flight is good. Hopefully it won't be long for your little girl!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My boy budgie grew his feathers back fairly fast...3 months? He was clipped early March and can now fly everywhere in the house. There are still clipped feathers present but he's got enough back that his flight is good. Hopefully it won't be long for your little girl!

It definitely depends on when they were clipped vs when their next big molt is. Most birds only drop flight feathers once or twice a year, so for my quaker and green cheek, they were not able to fly until I think 15 months old (Jingo was clipped at 3 months, Koopa kept clipped until I got her at 10 months)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It definitely depends on when they were clipped vs when their next big molt is. Most birds only drop flight feathers once or twice a year, so for my quaker and green cheek, they were not able to fly until I think 15 months old (Jingo was clipped at 3 months, Koopa kept clipped until I got her at 10 months)
We saw the vet this week and she said it could be winter when she gets her flights back, so I guess she did some math about Gigi's age and the fact that she is currently going thru her baby molt.

Birbs&Poodles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julia

Birbs&Poodles

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julia
I didn't know about this, thank you. When do budgies have their molt? I think Kiwi is about a year old.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
I'm waiting on Krem's moult myself. I think he's due to moult around my birthday, if not a little later.

I just wish there was a way to trigger an early moult....

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thankfully the breeder I got my bird from does not like to clip birds wings as I was not keen on the idea of my bird being clipped. I will leave his wings as they are, this is how he hatched. I personally do not like watching how helpless they are when clipped, it makes me worry about how they will keep safe if needed.
I suppose it is a matter of what works best for each situation.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Sweet Pea came to my house with show clip, because I requested that from @SandraK . She was little baby of 3months and in new place. I was able to work with her more. She is fully flighted now. She gets around pretty da&* well. She also doesn't get how to stop once she is in flight. And will circle ceiling bumping until she is tired even though there are places to land. We are still working on that.
Bebe is a whole other banana. He is top gun flight instructor. 90 plus miles per hour. He lands wherever he wants. And is impossible to catch. He has a show clip and can still get anyplace he wants to go too. I worry myself silly whenever he is out. He has gotten behind the frig behind the entertainment center behind couch. And will bite the hand trying to rescue him.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
@rocky'smom , I hear you! years ago...I used to get my tiels clipped...that is what you were supposed to do, right?? I would take them to the vet and get them clipped so that they would "glide" to the floor. I just spent this money and they would fly out of their carriers! Really?? I found that some were more clumsy and I worried more about them crashing into walls when clipped. I became more worried after they were clipped. This was not natural. I leave them all fully flighted now and take extra precautions in my home to keep them safe. I like seeing them have control of where they are going. Mine have had these show clips also in the past. Now I let them fly. Love watching them maneuver and swoop and dive. Even my 2 budgies will zoom right in front of me and have full control of where they are going.

Birds are meant to fly...why deny them? If they ever got loose, I would want them to have the advantage of flying away from a predator...

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Rocky was always clipped and could ' top gun' any place he wanted to go. Even after he lost his sight in one eye. He was sp good about 'come to me' command. Right down to my hands.

Katlovesbirbs

Meeting neighbors
@Mizzely Really hit all the important parts, great post.

Personally, when I bought my tiel he came clipped. I feel like it was good at first bc he had to figure out that he could trust me, without just being able to fly away. That being said, I chose to keep him flighted once he went through his first molt, and that's when his personality really blossomed!! He already knew he could trust me, so he would willing fly to me and hang out with me, but also had the option of being his own bird and coming and going as he pleased. His confidence really grew once he became a proficient flier.

Unfortunately he also flew away when the backdoor got briefly opened by someone. My heart is still completely broken over it. Lesson learned though, no birdie out of cage with company over. Even when you've told them the rules, non-bird people forget and it's not really their fault.

Even so , I wouldn't keep a bird clipped. Things will just be done differently in the future.