• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To calcium or not to calcium. That is the question.

TAG-Aviary

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Angel
Hello Everyone,

I'm getting ready for Timneh African Grey baby estimated day is Early April. My husband was raised with budgies and a cockatoo, but we both admit that his family didn't do the best to take care of the animal. Not to mention there's better knowledge now then there is from the early 90s. I've read about diets are far as what foods are okay and what to avoid. But I've found little on supplements, such as Calcium and Vitamins (If needed). So if anyone could help explain if how much or often and the variables involved with proper calcium consumption. Also if there is anything else such as mention earlier like vitamins and other supplements please pass on the knowledge.

If there's a link to a thread I might have missed please post it. I'm always willing to better my knowledge and understanding to provide the best home I can for my animals.

Thank yall!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Welcome to AA.

If a parrot is on a good daily diet there is no need for vitamin supplements. In fact, excess vitamin supplementation can be harmful. Calcium is a specific issue with Greys and particular attention should be given to calcium rich foods and plenty of sunshine for vitamin D3 or a pellet that is supplemented with D3 for proper calcium adsorption.

Greys are also noted for atherosclerosis, so exercise and a lean diet are good for long term health.

TAG-Aviary

Real Name
Angel
Welcome to AA.

If a parrot is on a good daily diet there is no need for vitamin supplements. In fact, excess vitamin supplementation can be harmful. Calcium is a specific issue with Greys and particular attention should be given to calcium rich foods and plenty of sunshine for vitamin D3 or a pellet that is supplemented with D3 for proper calcium adsorption.

Greys are also noted for atherosclerosis, so exercise and a lean diet are good for long term health.
I figure outside natural sunshine is best, but when I'm away at work I dont feel comfortable leaving my bird outside in a aviary. I know windows dont help with natural light has it can filter out the nutrients they need.

My question is how often and how long do they need to be outside. And if we start going through a rainy season and I cant bring him/her outside should I worry?

Also is theres a good food with a D3 supplement can you please share.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I figure outside natural sunshine is best, but when I'm away at work I dont feel comfortable leaving my bird outside in a aviary. I know windows dont help with natural light has it can filter out the nutrients they need.

My question is how often and how long do they need to be outside. And if we start going through a rainy season and I cant bring him/her outside should I worry?

Also is theres a good food with a D3 supplement can you please share.
15 to 20 minutes a few times a week is what I've been told by my vet.

D3 is in most pellets made for parrots.

TAG-Aviary

Real Name
Angel
15 to 20 minutes a few times a week is what I've been told by my vet.

D3 is in most pellets made for parrots.

Thank you I really appreciate it!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I only use a little pinch of a calcium plus magnesium powder in my female lovebird's pellets (Roudybush) every other day or so when she's laying. She's finicky and all of my attempts to get her to eat fresh vegetables have been unsuccessful. I keep trying, but I know she needs a little extra during that time but since her pellets are fortified, I am careful to not overdo it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My avian vet always told me to feed my grey with Harrisons High Potency pellets because they had a bit more calcium for a grey. My grey at them like they were candy. Now they are a bit more expensive but well worth it.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I will only add that make sure the breeder don't clip his wings.
Most do that and you want a healthy bird and for that he needs to fly.

Good luck!

TAG-Aviary

Real Name
Angel
I will only add that make sure the breeder don't clip his wings.
Most do that and you want a healthy bird and for that he needs to fly.

Good luck!
Ive already contacted her about it. She normally does but said since I requested not to then she wont. She been super awesome and shes local so its a bonus. She helped with finding a avian vet and some small other requests.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is the link to the thread by @BertAllen that @Eloy mentioned. It can be your recreational reading for several days - LOL.

Keep in mind that each bird is an individual and your baby might not be like Tinker in many ways. But the thread will give you a good idea. Bert has done a great job with Tinker and I think Tinker has Bert almost completely trained now.