• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To buy or not to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
That is one very serious question.
I love admiring all of your photos, both of your fids and when you're showcasing your photographic talents! I've always had a mild interest in photography, but never serious enough to actually commit to it. It probably will end up being a class I take to kill time next semester, as I wait for Survey Calculus to finally have an opening so I can complete and transfer. (I would have taken that class FIRST if I had known everyone else in my entire college would procrastinate and not take that class until the very last semester.) :mad:

So anywho, a friend won this camera a while back and was pretty excited about it. However, she's never really used it since then, and now she's hard up for cash for this Christmas and has asked me if I'd be interested in purchasing it. The model is:
Canon EOS Rebel XSI

And it comes with the lens kit and the original box, etc. Basically a new camera. She says she's maybe snapped 75 pictures on it, or less. Now, her asking price is a very sizable sum, to me. But as I am doing research on this camera, it seems these things are quite pricey to begin with? I own a crummy digital camera that was given to me for free that I use right now, and I am aware that this would be quite a significant upgrade (it had better be for that price! :lol:). So, for you camera gurus out there, do you think this would be a good camera for a "beginner" photographer?

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Oh boy, I am the wrong one to answer this. I have a Canon Rebel XTi, and I hate it. Why, because I have to look thru the veiwfinder to take a pix, rather than looking at the LCD screen. I've had it a year never used it, it is still under warrenty, and I told my daughter to take it, and go to the camera store and see if we can trade it off.

I have found that if watching the lighting, and the composition that a person can take great pix's with a cheap no bells and whistles camera.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I wasn't ready for a DSLR until this feb. Before that I deliberately chose a high end digital (non DSLR) camera which cost as much as a low end DSLR because I couldn't be bothered with the learning curve and missing shots while I was fiddling around with the settings and trying to look through the view finder. Played with that for two years and was perfectly happy and finally felt I was ready to upgrade to DSLR. And now I find that you can pretty much point and shoot with DSLR's as well if you so choose.
So it all depends on what you feel is important to you. Two years ago the perceived complexity of DSLR's turned me off. Today the inflexibility of digital point and shoots makes them a little boring :hehe:

Does that help? :lol:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I think the Canon Rebels take awesome pictures. I wish I would have bought that instead of the point and shoot I did. My high end point and shoot takes great shots but still not the quality of the DSLR's. I was like you Saroj just didnt think I wanted to be looking through a viewfinder and fiddling with settings all the time. Now I wish I would have just went for it.

If you decide not to buy it let me know maybe I will :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I have that camera with the kit lens, 90% of the pictures I post were taken with it. I would recommend it if you're getting a good deal.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Sounds good Chris, I will definitely let you know. I'm hemming and hawing now, and she's pushing hehe.
"You can make payments, Natalie! Just don't tell Paul how much you paid for it. I just need $100 for Christmas, you can pay the rest later..." hehe.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I would!

I have a point and shoot fujifilm (well I think it's P&S) and I am fed up of it so I wanted to look at something better, and I was going to get a Nikon D40, but I came across a really good deal which is a (DSLR) Canon EOS 350D Digital Rebel XT and it comes with all accessories and etc.

You CAN'T go wrong with DSLRs!

Last edited:

Raizer

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shiloh
The XSI/450D is a really good camera, if you can get it for a good price its even better!! lol

I have a Canon Rebel XTi, and I hate it. Why, because I have to look thru the veiwfinder to take a pix, rather than looking at the LCD screen
That is the point of having a single lens reflex camera though!
Later rebels (including the XSI) have "live view" which lets you use the LCD to shoot but it is slow and clunky at best in my opinion.

Last edited:

hsmoscout

Rollerblading along the road
I am hoping to get a Rebel XS for Christmas. Looking through the viewfirnder is not bad AT ALL for me, especially when it is sunny. I would go for it! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.