• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

to buy a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
Won't it be possible to install a flash player after purchase? Isn't the iPad exactly like a notebook with a touch screen and no lid?
Nope! That' what a lot of people were truly hoping it WOULD be! But it's not.
Basically all they did was take the iPod Touch and enlarge it, add the Kindle, and add better GPS capability. It comes in the same sizes as an iPod Touch - 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB. Cannot install anything flash.
It's a real disappointment for a lot of people. Had it been what it was SUPPOSED to be - I might have considered getting it. I've already got an iPod Touch with my own Kindle/eReader app - I don't need a bigger one.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use Photoshop on my Mac .. there are others .. but that's the one I'm most comfortable with.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Personally I buy my computers from a small local vendor who I know wants my business and wants to keep me as a customer so he stands behind what he sells and goes the extra mile to keep me happy.

On the other hand a small vendor has a larger chance of going out of business because of competition or whatever and may not be around to stand behind it. So you must "know" your computer guy.

Absolutely. Or at least, know what the service plan offers, and trust the capability of the employees that are going to be honoring that service plan. Hence why I go through my Uncle. If he messes up my computer...I know where he lives :D

Bunkybird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Trish
I have always had HP's but got so sick of having to worry about viruses and having to purchase all the virus protections we ended up switching to a Macbook Pro a few weeks ago and I LOVE IT~

TITANIS

The limited software is why I waited to switch. That's not true anymore since a mac can run windows as well. Virtually anything you need in software is made for macs as well as windows these days.
I thought I would make the complete switch from pc to mac, but I find the need to keep a couple of cheap laptops for taking on location for photography ventures. I'll do my editing on macs from now on, though. Vista was the best thing that could have happened for Apple..because it drove so many people, in my case photographers, to finally get a mac for editing, it was so bad. Windows 7 is much better, but it seems that every other Microsoft OS is full of bugs. Apple, on the other hand, remains very consistent and the cost to upgrade is very low.
I build systems and install software for a hobby and I agree 100% with your opinion about MS. I have been a decades-long critic of MS both from a quality and marketing perspective. Vista is an unnecessarily bloated OS. I only use it on my laptop because it came with it and didn't want to install XP when drivers were either unavailable or less functional than the factory versions. I tried Win 7 on my laptop in a virtual machine, and it practically has all the drivers for my laptop already included in it. I will definitely be replacing Vista with 7. Win 7 is what Vista should have been, and if MS waited just a bit longer to perfect their next gen OS, they wouldn't have seen such an exodus to the Apple camp. Their loss.

Having said the above, I'm sticking with the Windows platform for as long as it is viable, which likely means the indefinite future. It's been too long and I'm an old dog that hates to learn new tricks, so to speak. If adapting to a completely new environment becomes mandatory, I'd rather switch to Linux. Unfortunately, the latter is just too far from attaining the position that MS or even Apple enjoys in ease of usability and software compatibility. I honestly wish everything was open source.

feebee

Jogging around the block
i have a acer pc and love it, had one issue and they talked me over the phone about it, i could of gotten someone out but im pretty computer savey, however i dont like the vista on it, im planning to upgrade to windows 7 when i get some money, im not a fan of Mac's like titanis i dislike having to learn new things, i can use a Mac but i havent for about 2 years and it was my friends and it drove me insane! so nope not going there!

on a side note my bf laptop is a hp pavilion 2004-5? xp, it is still going strong, however it has started to slow down and unfortunately this laptop was made before you could use F11/F10 to reformat and he has lost the cd's so thats a job for another day, once we get rid of all the unwanted programs (take it back to square 1) it should be sweet for a few more years :)

RAC

Sprinting down the street
i think u got ur answer a macbook pro

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
I currently have a Dell Inspiron 1525, and I LOVE it! It is an awesome laptop, IMO!
It is very sturdy, and has a lot of great features on it, I have used Macs before I and I don't really like them, but I would love to have 1 eventually, hehe!
I just got this Dell laptop last year, and it is last years model, the battery lasts for 3 hours, and the charger cord is thick, so does not bend/break easily. All of our computers are dells now, and they are great.

The customer service is AMAZING for Dell, my dad's hardrive crashed, so he called them, they sent him a box to mail his whole laptop in, and they fixed everything that was wrong with it for free, and then sent it back like it was brand new. I have had experience with Acer, and I am sorry to say this, but Acer is terrible, the one that I had the lid was floppy, the keys would stick, etc (and it was only about 2 years old, and I took very good care of it). Good luck on your choice!

Last edited:

RAC

Victoria u dont like macs but u want one that does not make alot of sense

feebee

Jogging around the block
I currently have a Dell Inspiron 1525, and I LOVE it! It is an awesome laptop, IMO!
It is very sturdy, and has a lot of great features on it, I have used Macs before I and I don't really like them, but I would love to have 1 eventually, hehe!
I have had experience with Acer, and I am sorry to say this, but Acer is terrible, the one that I had the lid was floppy, the keys would stick, etc (and it was only about 2 years old, and I took very good care of it). Good luck on your choice!
you didnt like the mac but you want one? :confused: :lol:

actually yes if your looking for laptop then dont go for acer, i didnt like the look of them in the shops.. but liked their desktop better :lol:

TITANIS

Acer is one of the manufacturers that have had many problems with their laptops over the years. I'm partial to HP. :cool10:

feebee

Jogging around the block
Acer is one of the manufacturers that have had many problems with their laptops over the years. I'm partial to HP. :cool10:
yes i think HP is good, cause of what i mention about my partners one, he was a uni student at the stage so his got 'bashed' around heaps! not like it was sitting in one place hardly been used! it was well loved, and still is well loved as im not gentle on items!

Titanis, im assuming now they will have a F10/ F11 function on start up to delete everything back to the beginning? without the need for cd's?

TITANIS

Titanis, im assuming now they will have a F10/ F11 function on start up to delete everything back to the beginning? without the need for cd's?
I believe that is the case for the Vista models, not sure for older ones. I have used only 2 HP laptops, my current and last one. Both were Vista. Best thing you can do is look at the HP page for the model you have and check at their recovery options.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
HP machines are good machines but I've never seen a machine with so much crap ware preinstalled. It's also on the restore disks so restoring your machine puts all the crap ware back on that it takes forever to get rid of.

LG makes very good business class machines that come "clean" with a true windows disk and no crap ware.

TITANIS

HP machines are good machines but I've never seen a machine with so much crap ware preinstalled. It's also on the restore disks so restoring your machine puts all the crap ware back on that it takes forever to get rid of.
That's just about the biggest and only negative. Yes, it's tedious to remove but HP is not the only culprit in the industry for doing this. If you can get rid of the bloatware or have someone do it for you, they're excellent machines. The only other quirks usually arise from MS and no fault of HP. :2cents:

Jacob

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Herdis
I'm a mac person. My first mac was an ibook 3G. The only problem I ever had with it was that the battery was faulty when I got it. They replaced it and since then it never had any problems. After 5 years it was starting to slow down and I was looking into upgrading the RAM and getting a newer OS (I was still running things on Tiger) but then my family gave me a new Macbook for my 30th birthday.

If you are used to windows there is a bit of a frustrating transition period but after that you wont go back. The thing with mac is that things just work. I had a logitech web cam for my old ibook and I just plugged it in and it worked. Didn't need to install anything.

I use gimp to edit pictures and to make graphics for my webstore.

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
Well, I guess I will offer my 2 cents. :) First, I love reading all of the great reviews on Dell. My dh works for them thus that's all we have in our home. I just got a new Dell laptop with Windows 7 at Christmas. I had my previous Dell laptop for 4-5 years. It was AWESOME. Never anything wrong with it, and it still works fine just slow. I needed more memory and wanted to go from a 17" laptop to a 15".

We currently have 6 Dell laptops and 2 Dell desktops. We only had a problem with one when we had a bad hard drive on one of my daughter's laptops. Again, we got one overnight, dh installed it, and all is well. We have a Dell wireless printer too that is amazing. We have a nice family wireless network setup, and Dell is the way to go!!!!! :)

RAC

so far macs are winning and are the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.