• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

to buy a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
We have dells. one of them the hard drive crashed after my son dropped it on the floor. We called Dell they walked us through a couple of things, determined the hard drive was indeed dead and overnighted us a new hard drive. It was really easy to install. It took longer to load all the software back on it than it did to take the old one out and put the new one in. I really like Dells service I have never had any problems dealing with them. One time when I called I had a really hard time understanding the person, I asked if I could speak to someone that was US based and they promptly transferred me to to someone that was actually in canada but I could understand them :)

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I bought mine at best buy - I didn't get an extended warranty or anything
mine is a Compaq Persario (spelling?)

well it was almost a year after I got mine (2 months before a year) and my power cord wouldn't stay connected so the battery kept draining quickly

I E-mailed Compaq, they said they would ship me a box to send it back to get it fixed, and it would be done over night

I got the box, followed the directions, Put it in a drop box for UPS on a Wednesday night around 6PM I got my fixed Laptop back Friday Morning around 9 Am and didn't have to pay anything not even shipping

My old Desktop was a Dell- Never again their stuff is crap Only reason I'm on a Dell right now is it's because its all I could afford from Craigs list at the time and I needed one. But I am often (at least 15 times a day) threatening to throw it out the dang window or take a sledge hammer to it.

Last edited:

BamaBirdMom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Janet
Saroj,

Everything I say is from experience from owning the computers in question.

You don't want a Dell laptop. You won't get nearly the computer you need for your money. And they die quicker than others. A tech once told me that if a laptop lasts more than two years, it's on borrowed time. I have one (not a Dell) that is going on six, but it's beginning to sputter it's last breath, LOL.

My first choice for a PC would be the Sony Vaio. They are made as close to a mac laptop (quality wise and design wise) as possible, just extremely well made in every way....HOWEVER...
I really would say if you don't mind switching OS, go with a mac. You can't go wrong, you don't need to purchase virus protection, and if you are lucky enough to have an Apple store within an hour's radius, that's all you will need when it comes to service. They are the best at customer service I have ever dealt with.
The MacBook Pros are pretty pricey, but when you see the design, you'll see why. They just don't break. They are made with one piece aluminum construction.

IF you want a reasonable alternative to a Macbook Pro, you could try a Mac Mini. It isn't a laptop, but the cool part is you buy the monitor that you like (there is no laptop monitor good enough to edit professional photos on, so that's what I do), and get a wireless keyboard and mouse from Apple, and you have a very portable computer that is compact and is really fast for about half what you would spend on a MacBook Pro. You could get a giant monitor, but not the mess and wires that a desktop pc would add. I use my Mac Mini to hook up to my tv to watch Netflix movies on, as well as edit photos, etc. It's so versatile.

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Macs can be great - no virus worries, repairs can be taken in to the local stores or sent away, pretty much plug and play - BUT takes some time getting used to when you are used to Windows AND parts (like keys) are expensive and not easy to replace. The computers and laptops are fairly expensive - close to the $1000 range I believe (I could be wrong tho as it might be Canadian prices)

Windows PC's are just as great altho you do have to spend a bit extra for a good anti-virus program. Windows 7 is supposed to be very user friendly and easy to use. PCs and laptops are fairly cheap, easy to upgrade, parts are cheap and easy to replace.

Like someone else said, sit down and figure out what you want your laptop to do and go from there. :D

I do recommend Dell if you are going with an online store. I've had my Dell desktop pc for just over 6 years, and while it is slowing down, and I do want an upgrade, it's only ever failed me once(my hard drive blipped and I had to reformat to get it going again, but been working fine ever since). I've never had an issue with viruses or parts - and I download from bad places sometimes... ;) ;) :rofl:

My next computer is going to be an Acer laptop with Windows 7 and LOTS of RAM! :rofl:
I'm hoping to get it soon. Was supposed to be for Xmas, but things came up. Then I gave up a down payment for my CA Bird Nerds order... lol

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
thank you Janet!
Have to see if my logitech webcam software will run on a macbook....that is the deciding factor. i have a windows 7 cd i got and can't use for this very reason...
good to know about Dell. The viaos are so pretty!

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
meet to cant wait till April when the 3g version comes out thats when i will get it
Oh, Alex, I was so hoping that the iPad could replace a laptop for me just for internet surfing and simple editing and uploading photos...but I'm so disappointed that still no Flash Player will be installed. As a photographer, I view a lot of websites that use Flash...so I guess it really IS just a big version of iPhone. I'll wait until they wise up about the Flash, I guess.

TITANIS

Oh, Alex, I was so hoping that the iPad could replace a laptop for me just for internet surfing and simple editing and uploading photos...but I'm so disappointed that still no Flash Player will be installed. As a photographer, I view a lot of websites that use Flash...so I guess it really IS just a big version of iPhone. I'll wait until they wise up about the Flash, I guess.
Won't it be possible to install a flash player after purchase? Isn't the iPad exactly like a notebook with a touch screen and no lid?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
thank you Janet!
Have to see if my logitech webcam software will run on a macbook....that is the deciding factor. i have a windows 7 cd i got and can't use for this very reason...
good to know about Dell. The viaos are so pretty!
The webcams are built right into the macbooks.

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
I cant say enough good things about macs. I have had this laptop since 2007. It had one problem, but I took it to the apple store and they fixed it, I did get the three year service.

Here in the next couple months I am going to upgrade to a macbook pro.

I have went through way to many dells. WAY TO MANY. They at one point had me taking my computer apart over the phone, they lied and I couldn't understand anything they were telling me as I was sent elsewhere. Thats why I prefer to just take it in to the store and talk face to face.

Also a plus for macs is most viruses are designed for windows based computers. I had many viruses with my windows based laptops and have not had one with my mac.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I've heard Best Buy usually has a pretty good selection for computers :)
I personally get mine custom-built by my uncle--much cheaper this way as his company gets a discount for the parts, and I can leave out some otherwise expensive features that I wouldn't use, meaning I get more bang for my buck. My laptop right now is nothing special at all, but its absolutely perfect for me, and it only cost me $125 :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
I edit video EXTENSIVELY and this was my original reason for getting my first Vaio way back when VHS was the only video medium out there - I was able to digitize video on my Vaio way back then and still do.

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
gotta have my logitechs!:hehe:

Seriously, unless you want a laptop for travel, look into the Mac Mini. You can spend the difference for a cool monitor. Logitech makes great products..there should be a driver on their website that would help your webcam to work with whatever OS you have.

Titanis, to answer your question, some people speculate that Apple doesn't allow use of Flash Player on the iPod, iPhone, or the iPad because it would eliminate the need to purchase a lot of the apps, plus it's a memory drain. If you try to install the software, it just won't work, it will say it's unsupported. I don't know really...but this is a quirk of Apple. To make a really great product that is sometimes lacking something that is basic to other products....that said, I'm such an iPhone addict, and because of the extraordinary service, I'll always be a fan of anything Apple makes.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Macs make "quality" hardware. Because Apple controls all the hardware and software that goes into them you will have a lot less problems with them. It comes with almost all the software you will need so you won't have to spend money on that. No spyware or virus software needed (at this time) so you will save money there too. They have the best service of all the laptops that I've found. The "geniuses" at the genius bar are true computer geeks and can fix most problems right there on the spot. If has to be a pretty severe problem before they need to ship it back to Apple.

A mac will also run windows either using boot camp or in virtualization using something like the free "virtual box" software.

If booting into windows using boot camp it will run windows better and faster than a true PC.

You can not lose with a mac but they cost more. I am of the belief that you only get what you pay for anyway. With a cheaper PC laptop you will need to buy software.

And I'm a PC guy so I don't say this lightly. :)

Last edited:

TITANIS

Titanis, to answer your question, some people speculate that Apple doesn't allow use of Flash Player on the iPod, iPhone, or the iPad because it would eliminate the need to purchase a lot of the apps, plus it's a memory drain. If you try to install the software, it just won't work, it will say it's unsupported. I don't know really...but this is a quirk of Apple. To make a really great product that is sometimes lacking something that is basic to other products....that said, I'm such an iPhone addict, and because of the extraordinary service, I'll always be a fan of anything Apple makes.
I like Apple products but to date the only thing I ever purchased from them was a monitor, and that's only because the size and resolution was simply not available from any other manufacturer at that time. I don't like to be limited with my choice of software, which is why I have avoided Apple systems in the past and why I only use Linux when I have no other choice. Even if a MS environment has some serious downsides like greater instability, at least you're not as limited with your choice in software.

I agree what other stated about Dell being generally overpriced and prone to problems. I could say the same for other notebook manufacturers as well (Toshiba has a checkered history). There are many great manufacturers of portable computers, but they all produce bad series from time to time. Your best bet is to go to several stores and see many before you buy. Then make a choice and read what the online reviews say about the models you prefer. From there, choose the best out of the lot and look for the nicest deal you can find. I advise against mail-ordering any laptop (too many reasons to list). It's best to get a hands-on feel of the machine you'll be spending so much time on before you purchase. :2cents:

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
I like Apple products but to date the only thing I ever purchased from them was a monitor, and that's only because the size and resolution was simply not available from any other manufacturer at that time. I don't like to be limited with my choice of software, which is why I have avoided Apple systems in the past and why I only use Linux when I have no other choice. Even if a MS environment has some serious downsides like greater instability, at least you're not as limited with your choice in software.

I agree what other stated about Dell being generally overpriced and prone to problems. I could say the same for other notebook manufacturers as well (Toshiba has a checkered history). There are many great manufacturers of portable computers, but they all produce bad series from time to time. Your best bet is to go to several stores and see many before you buy. Then make a choice and read what the online reviews say about the models you prefer. From there, choose the best out of the lot and look for the nicest deal you can find. I advise against mail-ordering any laptop (too many reasons to list). It's best to get a hands-on feel of the machine you'll be spending so much time on before you purchase. :2cents:
The limited software is why I waited to switch. That's not true anymore since a mac can run windows as well. Virtually anything you need in software is made for macs as well as windows these days.
I thought I would make the complete switch from pc to mac, but I find the need to keep a couple of cheap laptops for taking on location for photography ventures. I'll do my editing on macs from now on, though. Vista was the best thing that could have happened for Apple..because it drove so many people, in my case photographers, to finally get a mac for editing, it was so bad. Windows 7 is much better, but it seems that every other Microsoft OS is full of bugs. Apple, on the other hand, remains very consistent and the cost to upgrade is very low.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Personally I buy my computers from a small local vendor who I know wants my business and wants to keep me as a customer so he stands behind what he sells and goes the extra mile to keep me happy.

On the other hand a small vendor has a larger chance of going out of business because of competition or whatever and may not be around to stand behind it. So you must "know" your computer guy.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thank you all for your input! :)
Janet, what photo editing software do you use on the mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.