• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

to buy a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thinking of getting a laptop for the bird room. I always get them from Best Buy so I can get the service contract. Where do you folks get yours and in the event of malfunction do you ship it off to the manuf.? There is so much more to choose from online so i thought i would see if buying locally is better in any way....

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I'm ready for a new one too, so I am very interested in everyone's opinion.

Ginger

RAC

Sprinting down the street
Apple is the way to go I love my macs their great

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
great question, Saroj, looking forward to everyone's input!

WenM

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Wendy
I only use Sony Vaio computers - they are top of the line. I buy directly from Sony online (SonyStyle.com) Some of mine are new and some are refurbished models - fully warranteed and usually up to 50% off. Great stuff - I love them.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Sony is great, that is the last one I killed LOL

working on a Dell now (both PC's vs laptops)

RAC

macbook pro is the way to go

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
question is, if a laptop you bought online develops a hardware problem, what do you do with it? Who repairs it? Do you ship it off to the manuf?

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
I'm getting ready to research laptops for my boss, she is ready for a new one. Want's all bells and whistles for cheapest price so I've gotten good at shopping for computers. Here are my suggestions for shopping:
1. Write down everything that you want to be able to do: I need excel, word, tons of photo room, DVD burner etc. What size RAM, Hard drive, how many USB ports, etc. (might I suggest an external backup hard drive) Don't start looking until you have this list.
2. Always buy at the end of the month, the end of the quarter is even better. They are feeling pressure to get sales up.
3. Call a vendor (say Dell - I'm not pushing Dell btw) tell them what you are looking for. Be nice, the nicer more pleasant you are the more they will toss in - especially during the times I mentioned above. Say "Are there any specials available that you can help me with?" You will be amazed at what they can offer. Last time I negotiated - I got a free printer,scanner,fax and a free camera and a free small photo printer, a ton of software and I only spent 800.00 on a fully loaded desktop. Get them to send the package to you in an email and tell them you will call them back (they will give you their line). Armed with that printout now go to Best Buy. Those guys have more power to lower the price than you think they do. Especially Saroj if you are going to buy their service contract. That's where they really make their money. Heck I've even trotted my Dell e-mail out and showed the guy at Office Depot. I ended up with a great buy on the last laptop I got for work.
3. Visit several places, my brother recently researched and ended up with best price at Sam's Club on a loaded laptop.
4. If you buy from Dell or other large name brand and get their service contract Saroj they will send someone to your house to fix.

Let us know what you end up doing and getting:) you'll save me some research!

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
If you got a macbook pro, you would not be sorry.
:)
Unless of course one of your fabys, not saying which one mind you, but if one of them ripped off, say, your Alt key or the FN key or the Ctrl key, I do think you would be quite sorrowful. :(

Ginger

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
4. If you buy from Dell or other large name brand and get their service contract Saroj they will send someone to your house to fix.
this is what i was wanting to know....:D
thank you Barbara!:laughing12:

RAC

hey i am the one who suggested the macbook pro lol

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

RAC

u have to wait till next week

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another Mac person here ..

Rarely do Macs have the software issues that Windoze machines do, but when they do, there are Apple stores that you can take them to. Nothing more fun that hanging out at the "Apple Service Bar" drooling over all the goodies .. almost, but not quite as fun as drooling over birdies toys.

I'm a die hard Mac user .. I've never been disappointed in hardware or software.

Diggin' the new iPad .. that's for sure ... lol ....

RAC

meet to cant wait till April when the 3g version comes out thats when i will get it

Status
Not open for further replies.