• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To bird, or not to bird.. that is the question! :)

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
A lot of this will come down the quirks of an individual bird. the great unknown.

I dunno. I have a military macaw that was surrendered to a refuge because she became aggressive when she reached sexual maturity and the owners were worried she'd hurt the grand kids. She can be scary. With the Amazons I have (YNA, BFA and DYA), and the ones I've known, it's a toss up on what to expect. The two YNA we've had (one died 2 years ago) were both incredibly gregarious. Bug likes both of us, Fern liked me a lot more, but we never had to worry about a dive bombing green chicken. The DYA we have waivers between tolerating my existence and attacking me (like I can't be in the room if her cage door is open) depending on how much attention my partner gives her. The BFA is my bird and will attack my partner.

Owning a hyperaggressive one person bird is incredibly challenging and I wouldn't recommend it with children in the house. And I guess the question becomes what will you do if you wind up with one who is. I would either wait on getting a bigger bird, or find a rescue that has an older bird that might be a good fit.

And I wouldn't mix big birds with little birds. Birds mutilate and kill each each all the time.

Cndbirdy

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for the replies.

After my last post I had asked my husband if he remembered the ladies name who had my boy. I hadn't used my old email address since I got married (as it had ny maiden name in it) and though I was able to log into my old yahoo account.. it was completely empty.

My husband came clean. After my first was born (and while I was either pregnant or already had my second) she had contacted us. She was selling all tge birds (including mine)and was willing to sell him back for $ 2500. Considering it was almost triple what she paid and tge fact I had two very small kids, were in the process of moving and a reno.. he felt it was a bad time, told her no and deleted the messages. He didn't mention it to me because he felt I wouldn't have been "rational "

It took me a bit to process (and I still am in all honesty)and it opened up old wounds. I know he is out there again, and have no idea with who. I began my search for him again.

Because of a few messages I have decided against a cockatiel, or any other small bird. My boy will always be my heart and I will forever hold out hope that he will find his way back to me. It never occurred to me a small bird and a large bird could pose a problem (though my uncles cockatoo did kill a tiny Finch he was rehabilitating in a matter of seconds when he turned around...but I swear his bird was evil lol)

I do love amazons. I love their personalities.. the good, the bad and the ugly and I cannot imagine not having one for another 20 years if I had a Tiel or other parrot. So I HAVE decided to look for a rehomed adult or a rescue in the future. I am in Toronto.. there is still a lockdown, which poses the problem of not being able to go into a home or rescue and actually see the bird. There is a beautiful amazon near me that the man needs to rehome (he hand raised it from a month old he claims, but he is moving into a condo and they won't allow a parrot). Supposedly it is super friendly, loves everyone and is a complete angel. It is 6 years old a male and a yellow naped.. I would like to see for myself that it is a "complete angel".

So that is my update. Hopefully I will be on here one day soon with my boy Gizmo, and another Amazon. I may have to wait until things open up again, but everyone here really helped me make a very important decision and I thank each of you for your responses and information. :hug8: :heart:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
It is 6 years old a male and a yellow naped.. I would like to see for myself that it is a "complete angel".

:laugh: At least you're going in with your eyes wide open! I also would be hesitant to take that statement for fact. ;)

My friends YN never 'matured' to about 10 years old. So that 'angel' still may have some maturing to do.

And I'm with you 100% Amazons rule!

Manny2000

Meeting neighbors
A lot of this will come down the quirks of an individual bird. the great unknown.

I dunno. I have a military macaw that was surrendered to a refuge because she became aggressive when she reached sexual maturity and the owners were worried she'd hurt the grand kids. She can be scary. With the Amazons I have (YNA, BFA and DYA), and the ones I've known, it's a toss up on what to expect. The two YNA we've had (one died 2 years ago) were both incredibly gregarious. Bug likes both of us, Fern liked me a lot more, but we never had to worry about a dive bombing green chicken. The DYA we have waivers between tolerating my existence and attacking me (like I can't be in the room if her cage door is open) depending on how much attention my partner gives her. The BFA is my bird and will attack my partner.

Owning a hyperaggressive one person bird is incredibly challenging and I wouldn't recommend it with children in the house. And I guess the question becomes what will you do if you wind up with one who is. I would either wait on getting a bigger bird, or find a rescue that has an older bird that might be a good fit.

And I wouldn't mix big birds with little birds. Birds mutilate and kill each each all the time.
What did your YNA die of???

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
We don't know. On a Thursday she started wheezing so we rushed her off to the vet who ran every possible test they could think of. She was scheduled for an endoscopy on Monday because the xray showed something in her crop, but it was cancelled because the vet didn't think she would survive the procedure. She died Monday night. The necropsy didn't turn up anything definitive and the stuff they found in her crop was like a sludge of random bits of things she had eaten over the years. The vet didn't think that was the cause.

A lot of my birds came from the world parrot refuge where the conditions were horrific. A number of birds that lived there share similar health problems. Both Fern and Lily (YNA) had plugged/crusty nares. Lily was Dr M's bird so every possible test and treatment was tried out on her, but nothing worked and they couldn't figure out what it was. She died a few months before Fern did.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We don't know. On a Thursday she started wheezing so we rushed her off to the vet who ran every possible test they could think of. She was scheduled for an endoscopy on Monday because the xray showed something in her crop, but it was cancelled because the vet didn't think she would survive the procedure. She died Monday night. The necropsy didn't turn up anything definitive and the stuff they found in her crop was like a sludge of random bits of things she had eaten over the years. The vet didn't think that was the cause.

A lot of my birds came from the world parrot refuge where the conditions were horrific. A number of birds that lived there share similar health problems. Both Fern and Lily (YNA) had plugged/crusty nares. Lily was Dr M's bird so every possible test and treatment was tried out on her, but nothing worked and they couldn't figure out what it was. She died a few months before Fern did.
I'm so so sorry. How extremely sad.

Elizabeth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I’m just now reading this and want to say I’m so sorry for what your husband did. My heart goes out to you.

I hope you found the right bird for you!