• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

To add another macaw?

CaliCash

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mike
Hi Everyone, as many of you know we got our baby Macaw just under a month ago. She’s been amazing and has been the best bird my wife and I have had. A breeder we had wanted to get a bird from just let us know they might have a baby ready around May 2021. This got our gears turning and I figured I’d ask your opinions on adding another young macaw? I’ve heard it can be great if you get a same sex bird and at a very young age and to not house them together. We thought it could be good for our macaw to have another bird to interact with, but definitely don’t want to lose any relationship we have and develop with her over the next 6-7 months. What are your experiences and thoughts on this? Our bird, Shaka, will be a year old in may 2021.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m waiting till Burt is a little more mature before I consider bringing home bird company for him so I have no insight on what it would be like. I would honestly think it would be as fun as it would be hectic to have two macs :laugh:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I had two (male and female), but both were adults. I didn't need to go through all of the baby silliness with them.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
We brought together a 5 month old male Blue Throat and a 1 year old male Severe and they became best buddies. We have had them 20 years now. We feel separate cages is best so they can eat their own diet and sleep well; then play together during the day. I play with them together also to minimize jealousy; it has worked well. Bringing them together as young companions it is easier than adding one with a long history of varying habits to relearn IMO. Keep in mind that every bird has their own unique personality and what works for one might not work for another. Flexibility and understanding is so important.

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So happy you are in love & things are going well.

Still you're being a new macaw person my advice would be to devote all your time to your baby bird & not bring in another Macaw for you know not what complications it could cause & interfere with your bond with your young bird & the many years ahead of you that could be very complicated.

If you really want two then you have to weigh the problems that could arise in the future many years while these birds mature. I don;t know if a new macaw owner will be equipped to handle it & you have to be sure you have endless time to devote & care for these birds well into a 50 year future.

Just do as much research & soul searching as you can so you don;t fall into more macaw than you can handle.
I never had a macaw & admit I feel its too much bird for me. You have a happy baby right now but what about the terrible teens that can happen in a few years?

Give it much consideration & Good Luck.

Your bird is adoreable & so happy for you.

CaliCash

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mike
Thanks Everyone! As always very helpful. As we think about adding a bird, do you think perhaps getting a different type of bird could be ok, and or perhaps better in terms of possibly fighting for human attention. Someone I was talking to mentioned getting a yellow shoulder Amazon, Pionus or Eclectus(which we had an Eclectus, loved him, but went with a macaw for more interaction). The thought behind this was that a macaw can perhaps fight for our attention and having two can be hard compared to one of the others listed. Feel free to chime in, I found it an interesting concept.
Today as Shaka was playing with me and snuggling she saw a bird flying outside and it was Bittersweet to see her excitement for this little bird flying from limb to limb. I also think the little bird was thinking what the heck is that bird doing inside.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Depends if you want the bird for Shaka & not yourself & are willing to accept the unknown outcome.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you really want two birds, similar sizes are a good idea.
Mine all (macaw, too, and zon) got along for years.
But once hormones hit, the macaw became a danger to my smaller two.
That means I now must have two separated bird areas.
It's a pain to put it mildly.

Just something to think about.
Even same sizes/species may not get along and you'd still have this problem.
So make sure you have space to separate just in case.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think of two parrots of the same sex growing up together like sisters; they will likely enjoy each other’s company and may even play together. Sisters can be very jealous of each other for lot’s of reasons..who gets out of their cage first, who gets their treat first or dinner served first, who you say “hi” first thing in the morning or “good night” to. Macaws tend to pick their favorite human and that favorite can change for reasons we don’t understand. My example is explaining what can happen and they can get an attitude and give each other a difficult time and as a result you as well. If you brought a smaller bird home you would have size safety concerns when troubles happen. Hormonal attitudes can cause problems as well even if they are the same sex. Just a few things to consider.

CaliCash

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mike
Thank you! @macawpower58 @Big Blues

This info is helpful in making a decision. If only there was a way to see what it would be like for the potential bird and Shaka. I’m going to give it a lot of thought. I can see positives and potential negatives. More than anything I was thinking having two could help with their mental states or when left alone while we are out they’d at least have one another close by in separate cages to feel more secure....not saying we leave our bird alone for extended periods often, just thinking of the times when we are out for a few hours shopping, etc. Again, all great feedback and I enjoy hearing the thoughts from all.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Having two birds is 100% good for them.
Just having nearby flock members is an emotional and mental boost.
Most of us are just letting you know it's not always easy on you.

Even my birds in separate rooms call to each other.
If I ask my macaw if he wants to visit the small birds, he gets excited.
He likes them. He grew up with them. They are his flock.
It's not his fault he can also be a danger to them.

Last edited:

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe our macaws are much happier thus healthier having each other to interact with. Macawpower58 was correct and your asking questions before you act is smart so you can train and prepare for possibilities.