• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Titus shower!

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Hey all! So Titus just took his first real shower with me (he’s been in the bathroom while I showered before, but mostly on his cage outside the actual shower). I have a couple questions about the experience haha
1. How do I know the difference between him calmly enjoying the shower and him being too scared/stressed to run away? He seemed to enjoy it, he had his beak open a little and seemed to be catching water with his tongue. He would also step across my arm away from the shower if it was too much, so I feel like he had agency. That said, he was a little spooked at first so I’m worried what I took as him calming down was instead terror.
2. He let me scritch him for the first time ever! While this makes me SO HAPPY, I’m worried again that he just didn’t feel like he could say no. He’s usually pretty lightning quick about telling us he doesn’t want us to touch him.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A perch on the wall away from the water could be helpful. So your bird can observe and decide if they want to get wet or not.

He let me scritch him for the first time ever! While this makes me SO HAPPY, I’m worried again that he just didn’t feel like he could say no. He’s usually pretty lightning quick about telling us he doesn’t want us to touch him.
I would not do that. If you take advantage of the situation ,he may grow to dislike the shower and everything associated with it.

A happy bird will bathe in the water, spreading wings and not sitting still.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
A perch on the wall away from the water could be helpful. So your bird can observe and decide if they want to get wet or not.

I would not do that. If you take advantage of the situation ,he may grow to dislike the shower and everything associated with it.

A happy bird will bathe in the water, spreading wings and not sitting still.
Thanks for your response. I will say, though, that neither of my birds have ever been very enthusiastic bathers. Even when they bathe themselves in their water dishes it’s a pretty lowkey affair haha
I plan to get a shower perch, but I did make sure that while he was using my arm as a perch, he was able to leave the water if he wanted, and he did.