• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Tired and puffed up cockatiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sldull

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stephanie
My sister has a cockatiel she got about a month ago. It was fine yesturday. Today all he has done is sleep unless you wake him up and he is puffed up. He isn't very active either. What should we do?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Stephanie it sounds like he may be sick. I would suggest taking him to an avian vet right away. When birds show signs of illness, they are already pretty sick. Do you need help finding an avian vet in your area?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Brookfield:
Elm Brook Veterinary Clinic
325 Janacek Road (195th and Bluemound), Brookfield, WI 53045 - Tel. (262) 786-8460
Jennifer Bloss, D.V.M. - website: Brook-Falls Veterinary Hospital & Exotic Care Inc.
Brook-Falls Veterinary Hospital & Exotic Care, 14885 W. Lisbon Rd, Brookfield, WI 53005 - Tel. 262-781-5277
De Pere:
Dr. Sarah Wolfe - Avian & Exotic Animal Care
703 N. Ninth St., De Pere, WI 54115 - Tel. (920) 336-5774
Mequon:
Dr. Ron Beatty
11422 N. Port Washington Road - Suite 103, Mequon, WI 53092 - Tel. (262) 240-2215
Milwaukee:
James Frank, D.V.M.
211 W. Bender Rd., Milwaukee, WI 53217 - Tel. (414) 962-8040

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
My sister has a cockatiel she got about a month ago. It was fine yesturday. Today all he has done is sleep unless you wake him up and he is puffed up. He isn't very active either. What should we do?

she needs to get him to the vet right away. This isn't normal and it doesn't sound good.

sldull

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stephanie
We are currently talking to our Avian vet. We live about 1 1/2 away and they close at 1. We are trying to get ahold of a 24 hour vet

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Keep us posted Stephanie. In the meantime, try covering three sides of the cage to keep him warm and move his food and water down next to him.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
keep him warm in the meantime and water and food close at hand, even if you have to put it on the floor..he is not well.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I hope your sister's tiel will be alright. Waiting for an update. :hug5:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any updates on him?

sldull

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stephanie
We took him to a 24 hour vet, which I say I would never take an animal back. They did a couple tests, she couldn't afford the hundreds of dollars needed for a complete work up. They didn't find anything abnormal. They did give him some fluids before sending him home. So other then that I don't know much. Thanks for everyones advice, I passed it on to her.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
It's good that they gave him some fluids....
What I would do is to make sure he is kept warm (air temps around him need to be about 90º)...kept him quiet and make sure that he has water and food to eat close to him...If he is not doing better in the next 24 hours, I would call your vet and set up an appointment...:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Stephanie, you may want to check with your friend to make sure there isn't an air conditioner blowing right on the cage or the temp too cold in the room he is in. Please let us know how he does.

sldull

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stephanie
I talked to my sister. There is no air conditionar the blows any where near the bird, actually they have hardly had it on this year. They moved him back to his big cage. She said he is eating and drinking but not very much. I'll find out more in the morning

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Can you take him to a vet tomorrow? another one that actually knows about birds?

Cockatiels go down hill so fast, they can be fine one minute and gone the next, so it's not something to muck around with.

Has anything been sprayed nearby - perfume, fly spray, deodorant etc or has your sister used anything with teflon?

I hope he feels better soon, I'd still take him in the next day to be safe rather than sorry - please keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.