• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips on working with a rescued IRN

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
@fluffypoptarts I feel this way too. I just want to be sure I'm doing whats best for him. I got a pretty hefty guilt trip from this vet when I wanted to take some time to think about it.

Shrek has been through enough. I'm not trying to subject him to any more suffering than is absolutely needed.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@fluffypoptarts I feel this way too. I just want to be sure I'm doing whats best for him. I got a pretty hefty guilt trip from this vet when I wanted to take some time to think about it.

Shrek has been through enough. I'm not trying to subject him to any more suffering than is absolutely needed.
You are the person in the best position to make the right choice for him. Your sole interest is in doing what’s right for him. A pushy vet would be a red flag in that situation, I would think.

Skyandkiwi

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Misk
This thread is so heartwarming! Keep us updated, I’d love to see shrek’s progress!

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
You are the person in the best position to make the right choice for him. Your sole interest is in doing what’s right for him. A pushy vet would be a red flag in that situation, I would think.
Thank you for your input. I'm going to stick with our instincts and forego the rebreak. Going to start looking for another vet too. I don't know if there's a bright side here but at least I know why he's a little gimpy now. Makes me sad to know tho that he was hurting and no one helped him. I've broken bones before. I cant fathom how painful it must be to let it go untreated.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for your input. I'm going to stick with our instincts and forego the rebreak. Going to start looking for another vet too. I don't know if there's a bright side here but at least I know why he's a little gimpy now. Makes me sad to know tho that he was hurting and no one helped him. I've broken bones before. I cant fathom how painful it must be to let it go untreated.
You're welcome. I know how hard these kinds of decisions are. It’s really tough to find a vet that is skilled, experienced, and wise enough to know when they should intervene and to what extent.

Your poor guy has had such an awful life, but at least he has you now.

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
I got kind of busy this evening and I didn't have time to sit down with Shrek as has become our ritual. I have ducklings hatching and setting up the brooders takes a min. By the time I got hatched birds separated from the ones still trying and all my other evening chores it was time to go to bed. So I turned out lights and started to go down the hall. Shrek was not having it. He fluttered off his cage and started chasing me down the hall! I guess I'm not allowed to skip "Shrek time". 20200806_213703_HDR.jpg

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
So I was trying to get a video of Shrek playing with his box of treats but I caught something better! Shrek has gotten really good about stepping up on my shoulder or my arm but I haven't been offering my hands. Something just told me to try this evening.

IRNluv

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Olivia
I think this will be my last update on this thread. Around a week ago Shrek stepped up on my hand for the very first time. Since then he has become bolder and more outgoing. I've been taking him outside while I do my gardening and chicken chores. He likes to run between the flowers and jump out at my hands while I'm pulling weeds. He reminds me of a precocious, aggravating little boy. ...But a very lovable one. Last night i was sitting with him as per our nightly ritual. He came close to my face and pressed his beak against my cheek. I hadn't tried to pet him before this but it just seemed like the moment for it. I stroked his chin and he bent his head down and let me rub the back of his head and neck. I'm not much of a crier but I'll admit I let a tear slip.

I really am surprised by the progress Shrek has made in such a short time. It's hard to describe just how traumatized and angry he was at first. The vet tells us he's gained a healthy weight and the vitamin deficiency must be resolved since his feathers are growing in beautifully. He's even starting to get his ring.

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. This forum and the people here have been a wealth of wisdom and help. I know Shrek would not have come so far without the advice we've received from our bird friends.