• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips on Lovebird setup?

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
So I've been gathering some supplies for Kumo's new flight cage and was wondering what other Lovie parents find is a necessity for them. Or certain toys they go crazy for.

Kumo has been loving the shredder toys(Planet pleasures etc.) but do you find a certain toys yours loves?
Also, perches. Quite a few of my natural perches are a bit wider, should I go a bit thinner or does it not matter too much? Compared to Yuka and Mimi(my GCC and 'tiel), he's quite a little guy so I'm concerned about that as I don't want him to slip off them. He will have some rope perches/swings as well if he wants a break off the natural ones.
Pretty much any tips or advice on things lovies like, or needed things in their cages are very welcomed. :)
Thanks!

BindiWW

Walking the driveway
My lovebird, Piper, loves his mirror toys and pretty much anything he can attack and throw around-especially bells-but not all lovebirds like to attack their toys; you just have to find your birds play style by watching how he interacts with toys you give him(he may like shredding toys or attacking them etc.) and just find out what he likes best.
Most of the lovebirds I've come into contact with love hiding in snuggle tents/huts, jolly balls, etc.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
He for sure likes to snuggles into things, so he'll have a fleece toy instead of the huts/tents. The huts seem to be a bit of a danger, at least IMO.
Thank you for the advice, I'll pick up a few smaller bell toys for the little guy. :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
An able bodied bird is not going to "slip" off a perch. "If" that should happen for some reason, god have him wings.

Is best to have a variety perches with different thicknesses. They will choose the one they like.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
@JLcribber
Thank you. :)
The natural perches I have consist of smaller ones less then half an inch, to as big as almost 2 inches in diameter. So there is for sure variety.
Thank you for letting me know that though, it's good to know he won't slip off the larger ones.
@fluffypoptarts I'll for sure look into the platform perches. :)
My girls never took to them, so maybe Kumo will like them. Next time I'm at my local bird store, I'll get some bell and plastic/acrylic toys. I have a few coming for the girls, but will pick up some more for the boy.
Thanks for the links! :D

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
@fluffypoptarts
I may have to sign up for that. :D
I have a bird specialty store( Golden Cockatoo, if you've heard of it.) right by my house, so I stock up on toys pretty often. But their toys are so cute! I can see my entire flock ripping them up. :joyful:
Do you have an idea what their shipping would be to Florida?

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Shredder toys seem to be a hit for many of the lovies I've met. Those and the vine toys in whatever shape. I don't know if you can get something similar where you are, but I've also found that gum nuts and casuarina nuts are also well loved chew toys (Parrot Rescue Centre Gum Nuts - Caring for Pet Parrots in Australia and Parrot Rescue Centre Casuarina Nuts - Caring for Pet Parrots in Australia I actually got a few cute photos of her with these the other day.

DSC06496_zps7lzlpjub.JPG

image.jpg

Probably the least used toys in Luna's cage are the little plastic foot toys. She doesn't really care for them. She has dyed wooden ones as well, but these are apparently only good for attacking and throwing into her water when she wants out. Other toys she is content playing with are hanging ones with thin leather rope and plenty of knots for chewing.

As for perches, I don't think too wide is really an issue. In Luna's cage I have a boing, some gum tree and banksia branches of varying widths I grabbed and disinfected, and some natural perches that I bought. Because they're better for their little footsies and because Luna enjoys chewing them, her swing and T-stand is also made locally from natural branches.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Those pictures are adorable! :xflove:
I don't know if the Gum and Casuarina nuts are available to me, as I'm in the states, but I'll look into them. :)
The wicker toys are a huge hit with my flock, especially my 'Tiel. Kumo hasn't totally destroyed the one he has right now, but I'm sure eventually it'll be done for. :D
He has a couple leather and rope knotted toys on the way, so hopefully he enjoys them as Luna does.
Glad to know the wider perches won't be an issue with him, as I was a bit concerned with that.
Thank you for the tips, and the adorable pictures. :hehe:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@fluffypoptarts
I may have to sign up for that. :D
I have a bird specialty store( Golden Cockatoo, if you've heard of it.) right by my house, so I stock up on toys pretty often. But their toys are so cute! I can see my entire flock ripping them up. :joyful:
Do you have an idea what their shipping would be to Florida?

My shipping ranges from $5-8 a box and I have the bimonthly $50 toy package. :)

I've heard of the Golden Cockatoo, and I have Birds on Safari near my place, but they don't have IGAW toys! Just not the same.

My babies love chewing on toys made of natural materials.

Last edited:

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're worried wider perches will be difficult for him, just get ones with rough bark, like willow. That gives them more purchase. Manzanita and the like can be slick.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
For sure signing up for a box! :D
Think I'll go for the $25 or $50 monthly, as I'm at my specialty store so often the owners probably think I'm obsessed. :p
They really are such a great store, love their products. :joyful:
The willow perch is a good idea, may order one for the little guy. He has a bottlebrush perch right now which is on the rougher side, and some rougher dragonwood ones as well. But willow is a great idea, thanks! :)