• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips on how to avoid a relapse?

Animallover_84

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hey!

In the very near future all my windows and the patio door are going to be replaced. My parrots (and also bunnies and dogs) are going to stay at my mom´s house, when the work is going on (and afterwards to ensure the safety of the birds).

One of my parrots (Munin) is a plucker and at the moment he is doing quite well (he doesn´t quite look normal yet, but has at least gotten back a lot of his feathers). He immediately got better as soon as he got a friend (Hugin) and is overall a happier boy now.

This whole “temporary move thing” has gotten me rather worried that he might get back to his old plucking ways…is there anything I can do to make it easier for him?

I am going to stay at my mom´s house during the evenings/nights (and spend the day/days when the workers are here, in my apartment). When the work is done, I will spend most of the time at my mom´s house (just going home to feed and check on my other animals) until it is safe for the birds to move back home again.

I will in other words not “abandon” them fully during this time…but I am scared that Munin might think that I am and that he is moving again (he has sadly been rehomed quite a lot during his life).

Thank you for any advice.

/Animallover_84

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Has he been to your mom's place before? Maybe you could soften the transition by bringing him over there to visit a few times. Keep things familiar and have lots of distractions, foraging toys, tv/radio, showers, whatever occupies his attention.
Those are just my thoughts; I adopted a plucker a few months ago so I know how it is to worry. I am going on a trip in a few weeks, I think he will feel abandoned too. :(

Animallover_84

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Has he been to your mom's place before? Maybe you could soften the transition by bringing him over there to visit a few times. Keep things familiar and have lots of distractions, foraging toys, tv/radio, showers, whatever occupies his attention.
Those are just my thoughts; I adopted a plucker a few months ago so I know how it is to worry. I am going on a trip in a few weeks, I think he will feel abandoned too. :(
No, he has not been to my mom´s house before. Normally, it is not a birdsafe place. I am going to make sure it is safe during the time that they will be spending there…but sadly bringing them there before will probably not work. My mom is happy to help, but perhaps not overly keen to make her place safe for more than the absolute necessary time… Still hoping she will change her mind regarding that…but she is rather set in her ways, so making it permanently birdsafe is sadly not that likely. I wish I could bring my parrots over just as easily as I can bring the dogs…but that is just not the case.

/Animallover_84

Animallover_84

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks for the tips and good luck to you (regarding the trip and your plucker). Because of the fact that I do not have a driver’s license and their regular cage is quite large, I have had to get a new smaller temporary cage for them (to keep at my mom´s house). Now, this cage is a lot smaller than the cage that they are used to, but I will still try to make it as fun as possibly with lots of opportunities for foraging, lots of new toys etc. and naturally have them out as much as possible. It is most likely not going to be more than a few days…but still I am rather nervous about it.

/Animallover_84

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Well good luck!:hug8: