• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips on changing my tiels and budgies to pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilianasmami

Moving in
Real Name
Bonnie
I have 2 budgies and I just bought 5 tiels:lol: , all of them are being fed seed because that's what they were being fed when I bought them. I want to change them to pellet, because I know its better for them and one of my budges, possibly both, is underweight. Can anybody with experience changing food help me with some tips?

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Hi Bonnie, and welcome! I don't recommend a totally pelleted diet for your tiel and budgie. They do need some seed in their diet. I would recommend a very good quality seed with NO sunflower or safllowers and a bowl of pellets in a separate bowl (not mixed into the seed). They will eventually explore the pellets. Don't put the pellets in with your seed mix, as you are tossing that every day and tossing all the pellets in the mix. I have recommended this method to many and it does work 90% of the time. Good luck!

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
I smashed some TOPS and Oven Fresh bites into teeny tiny crumbs and sprinkled some on my tiel's seed so she'd "accidentally" taste them. Now she will eat them out of a separate bowl like Kathie says they should do. Kathie is right though they need a mix of seeds and pellets :)

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
My budgies were on a seed-only diet when they were given to me, and the method I used to get them to eat pellets was to sprinkle millet-sized pellets (Roudybush Nibbles) on a plain plate at the bottom of their cage. At first I used a mixture of seed and pellet, reducing the amount of seeds over a few days until there were only pellets on the plate. Once they would willingly choose to eat the pellets out of a separate dish while there were still seeds in the cage, I moved on to introducing them to fresh foods. Now they look forward to getting their breakfast plate of veggies and grains every morning.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
actually a pellet only diet is NOT recommended for the smaller species..new studies have been done to indicate that kidney and liver disease can result...I recommend a good seed mix plus fresh veggies etc...absolutely NOT NECESSARY to change your budgies and tiels to pellets...in fact, pellets are not good on their own either..they must be supplemented with all t he good stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.