• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips on a late night flight?

RotheGCC

Moving in
I am flying and bring Ro my GCC with me. She deals with situations and new environments well as long as I am around, but my flight to the location is from 6:00pm at night till 12 am. I was wondering if people had any tips for me to help her rest and travel in as much comfort that late as possible. There was no other option for the travel times as they were all late night flights. I have food and water plans in place, but it's so late at night. The flight home is in the am so she will be okay coming home as we are usually in bed and awake at 6. Any advice for a late flight?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
You could try chamomile which has a calming effect on birds, or talk to your vet and see what they suggest.

I would try and keep it covered with some soft toys and easy to grip perches so it's not pitch black yet she feels safer.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is not a normal time for any bird to be awake. They automatically go into the sleep mode when it is dark outside. Can you get a daylight time for this trip?

EagleClem

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I wonder if you just kept the cage covered and dark? Would it not be less stress than a day time trip?

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
The cage will be carry on, not checked?

RotheGCC

Moving in
She will be carry on. The reason it's so late is there were no other options. All were late night flights, this was the shortest, the others would have been 10 hours due to multiple stops and layovers. I've read that watermelon will be a good food to give her as it will keep her hydrated and have vitamins. I would prefer a morning flight as we are already up at 6 am, so avoiding most people and an early morning flight won't be bad. But I am stuck with a late night flight. I could soften her perches with some fabric as well? The only time she will be disturbed is when we go through security, which will occur when she would usually be awake. What fabric would be best for covering her then?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
When the rescue lady flew my grey from NY to Fl in the cabin, they made her take him out of the carrier. She got bitten severely because he was so stressed out with the crowds and didn't want to go back in the carrier. He was clipped at the time. You might want to check into the rules at the security gate and be prepared.