• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips for taming 1.5 year old flighted budgie

edenic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eden
*EDIT: There’s a typo in my title I didn’t notice and I don’t know how to change it. I meant to say “taming”

Hi all :) I’ve recently adopted a year and a half old budgie. He’s very scared of us at the moment and he’s fully flighted (and a very strong flier at that) so it’s hard to get him back into his cage after we let him out. He bonded with our older budgie that we had and we were hoping her attachment and trust in us would influence him at least a little, but it seems that instead she’s become less tame and harder to handle as well. She still steps up and comes when I call her maybe 30 - 40% of the time but the other times she just flies away or follows the new budgie. It was quite a surprise to us because we’ve had her for 8 years and she was extremely attached to me before we adopted the new budgie. I don’t mind too much that my older budgie pays less attention to me now because I think she was a little too attached and dependent on me anyway, but it’s unfortunate that she doesn’t listen as much anymore.

It has only been a few days so the excitement might wear down in a while (I’m not sure) but I’m pretty worn out and I don’t know what future training is going to look like for my older budgie especially. I knew adopting this bird was going to be a lot of work and that it would completely change the dynamic between my family and the birds in our household, and I’m prepared to handle that, but if anyone has any tips on how to tame this new bird and continue training my older bird it would be greatly appreciated. Pics included just because I think they are very cute.

Attachments

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Wow, they are both gorgeous, so pretty!

Its only been a few days, I think you need to give it a little time and patience.

Did you quarantine the new bird? This would have also been a good opportunity to bond with him.

I think you need to go back to the basics, offer millet and talk gently to him.

The older bird may just be a little excited. When we got a second bird, Flynn was like that too but eventually settled (although he was younger) I don't think you ever really lose your bond.

edenic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eden
Wow, they are both gorgeous, so pretty!

Its only been a few days, I think you need to give it a little time and patience.

Did you quarantine the new bird? This would have also been a good opportunity to bond with him.

I think you need to go back to the basics, offer millet and talk gently to him.

The older bird may just be a little excited. When we got a second bird, Flynn was like that too but eventually settled (although he was younger) I don't think you ever really lose your bond.
You’re probably right haha, I just got so worn out I took straight to the forums. I was going to quarantine him but his previous owner said he was very healthy and had been playing with and around their other birds who are all fine so I thought it would be ok ... he’s been very active since he’s been here, and his poop looks great too. Our older budgie noticed him straight away when we brought him in and was dying to play with him so after a few hours we let them interact. I’m not sure quarantining him now will work out since he and my other bird are attached at the hip ...

He did eat from our hands today which was a great first step. It’s honestly been so long since any of us have tamed a new bird that it feels new to us again. Previously we just had our budgie which we’ve had for 8 years and a cockatiel we’ve had for a month and a half who was already super tame and sweet.

Reactions: Ali

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
it’s unfortunate that she doesn’t listen as much anymore.
They look like twins! You did a wonderful thing for your first budgie by getting another one. Of course the dynamics in your home will change. What is important is that your birds will enjoy each other and play together. Remember birds retain their wild nature and to expect them to listen to us as a child would in not reasonable.
Have fun with them and keep them safe.

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
They are both so pretty! Congratulations on adopting the new bird. I had Tweetie and then brought Buddy home. Buddy was very tame, Tweetie not so much. For about a month the two were enthralled with each and didn't pay much attention to me. I just kept interacting. After about a month they settled in and started showing their own personalities. Buddy became less tame and Tweetie more tame but they don't "play" with me. They'll come if I'm holding a treat. I'm still interacting and hoping they will get more comfortable with me.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Awww...8 years? Don't worry, she is just experiencing the thrill of a new friend. She maybe "into" your new bird but she will never stop trusting you. Give them time to get used to each other. She will most likely show your new bird that she is not wary of you. He will come to learn this. She may not be the same glued to you bird that she was but she will never become scared of you. Give her time with your new boy....she may teach him that fear of you is silly...

clarousel

They're both so pretty! Glad he's settled in well with you current budgie :)

Sounds like your going in the right direction! How exciting! :cantwait:

edenic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eden
Awww...8 years? Don't worry, she is just experiencing the thrill of a new friend. She maybe "into" your new bird but she will never stop trusting you. Give them time to get used to each other. She will most likely show your new bird that she is not wary of you. He will come to learn this. She may not be the same glued to you bird that she was but she will never become scared of you. Give her time with your new boy....she may teach him that fear of you is silly...
Yes I’ve had her since I was 12 years old so we’ve basically grown up together :D I was very sick for most of those years so I spent a lot time with her at home just the two of us. I think that’s what made our bond so strong. Good to know she’s just experiencing the excitement of having a new pal and that we haven’t lost anything too significant. Hopefully the new birdie will come to trust me as well!

edenic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eden
An update: Sky really was just super excited to have a new budgie friend :) Starting today she’s begun flying to me again for kisses and playing, calling for me etc. She’s not as attached as before but I’m actually glad for that because she really was quite a handful before, haha. Our new budgie Snow isn’t as scared of me now because of her as well, and when Sky landed on the pillow beside my head today he actually followed and sat there too! Very happy with how things turned out.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds like a happy budgie home. We would love more photos.

edenic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Eden

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Two handsome males. One, Sky appears to be sky blue mutation and the other looks to be violet from the photos. You can really do a nice play area on a flat top cage. I hung a scarf holder just above the flight cage of my budgies which they enjoyed endlessly.

Attachments

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Wonderful to hear that your bird has not forsaken you. You have done a wonderful thing in getting you bird a new freind. But like I said, you are a trusted bystander and will not be ignored. Here's to a happy friendship to ALL of you!