• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips for New Birds

Branch

Meeting neighbors
The beginning stage of taming a pet bird is arguably the most important, which is why it's frustrating when you try to be nice to the bird only for it to run away. So here are some of the tips that I used to introduce myself to the bird and get it to bond with me.

Step 1: When you first get a bird, don't make any loud noises around it. It's already quite overwhelmed by the sudden change of environment, so no need to scare it even more. Don't directly stick your hand in his cage, it will make it even more terrified of you. Instead, I would say for the first day that you got him, just stay in the same room as it and make sure it has a good night's sleep. Also make sure your bird diet isn't so sugary or it will cause problems later in the training phases.

Step 2: For the first part of day two, gradually get nearer and nearer to your bird's cage without it showing signs of fear. The time it takes for your bird to let you be right next to his/her cage varies from bird to bird depending on its personality and past experiences with humans. When the bird lets you approach give him a fruit or veggie. Some that you might want to give are apples, cucumbers, or mangos. You don't want your parrot to grab the food and run, instead, make sure it's comfortable eating close to you. If the bird won't eat from your hand, try a long vegetable or fruit so you can distance yourself and your bird apart. Gradually make your fruit/vegetable shorter and shorter until your bird is comfortable eating close to you.

Step 3: Now, for the part you've all been waiting for, actually playing with your bird. You now can open the door to its cage. You can give it a toy to play with. Of course, this means the training will now have to begin.

I know BraveheartDogs posted a topic similar to this one so definitely go check him out, link to his forum ->Some things to do with a new bird..... This was just like the 'as soon as you get your bird what do you do' kind of thing.