• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tips for a first time owner of a young female lovebird

vrnkstxx

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronika St
Hey guys!
First time posting and first time being a lovebird owner (okay i will be getting her in 2 days but nonetheless). I have previously owned two budgies and a cockatiel so i do have some experience.
However, since this is my first time owning a lovebird i decided to ask you some questions if you could kindly help me.
1. First of all, i have attached a picture below and i would love if you could give me an exact age guess since the store i’m getting her from said she has around 4 months. The thing that is confusing me is that i read somewhere that their beaks are black until around 2-3 months and somewhere i have read that they are black until they turn a year. So help me please i am very confused :confused:
2. Next i would like some tips on how can i tame her, she (Luna is her name btw) isn’t hand raised and i know females are especially hard to tame so any help would be appreciated.
3. In terms of their diet what are some seeds, fruits and vegetables that you would recommend?
4. I know that they are very playful birds so how many toys would you recommend me to buy? Also how often should i change them?

Thank you for taking your time and reading this post,
Sincerely, a first time love bird owner :heart: 0E0D8FC0-8289-426B-9BBA-C716FE107BB9.jpeg
D91D4A87-E9F6-4A8A-8DDA-C839B5DF5FE5.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Welcome to the Avenue :hiya:

Hopefully some of the lovebird owners will be along soon to help you with some information :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Veronika! 1.welcome signs.gif

Congratulations!! :starshower:

1. First of all, i have attached a picture below and i would love if you could give me an exact age guess since the store i’m getting her from said she has around 4 months. The thing that is confusing me is that i read somewhere that their beaks are black until around 2-3 months and somewhere i have read that they are black until they turn a year. So help me please i am very confused :confused:
The black beak fades at just a few months old. Going off the top picture, if breeder says 4 months old, that sounds correct. Around 7 months old this bird will have their first moult (Main moult), and the greyness will go away from her face, and the brow line will become more prominent.

2. Next i would like some tips on how can i tame her, she (Luna is her name btw) isn’t hand raised and i know females are especially hard to tame so any help would be appreciated.
Spending time with her, and feeding her treats (millet is usually a hit). Be sure to respect her boundaries.
Here is a link you may find helpful: Some things to do with a new bird....

3. In terms of their diet what are some seeds, fruits and vegetables that you would recommend?
I feed seed mix, pellets and veggies (I use a few different vegetables, but only one small piece of fruit chopped up, smetimes I put sprouted lentils or mung beans, also I like to put a half pinch of poppy seeds and sesame seeds on top). Some faves among my little ones are peas, peppers (any colour/heat), zuchini, strawberries, lettuce, kale, carrot.
If you need help with the veggies, I like to use this for reference: My Chop "Recipe"

4. I know that they are very playful birds so how many toys would you recommend me to buy? Also how often should i change them?
Focus on getting a variety first. One or tow of each type (there´s lots to choose from), but get as many as you can.
Put a few different ones in the cage and see how she gets on. You can have a couple on hand outside the cage to play with her, or to lay on a table or somewhere safe to stop and play.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! She's adorable. Budgieluv tagged some people already who should be able to answer your questions better than me. I'll just add that I fostered a lovebird for awhile and she absolutely loved fruits and vegetables. More so than my other birds. Red and yellow peppers and apples were some of her favorites.

vrnkstxx

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronika St
Welcome to the Avenue Veronika! View attachment 365231

Congratulations!! :starshower:

The black beak fades at just a few months old. Going off the top picture, if breeder says 4 months old, that sounds correct. Around 7 months old this bird will have their first moult (Main moult), and the greyness will go away from her face, and the brow line will become more prominent.

Spending time with her, and feeding her treats (millet is usually a hit). Be sure to respect her boundaries.
Here is a link you may find helpful: Some things to do with a new bird....

I feed seed mix, pellets and veggies (I use a few different vegetables, but only one small piece of fruit chopped up, smetimes I put sprouted lentils or mung beans, also I like to put a half pinch of poppy seeds and sesame seeds on top). Some faves among my little ones are peas, peppers (any colour/heat), zuchini, strawberries, lettuce, kale, carrot.
If you need help with the veggies, I like to use this for reference: My Chop "Recipe"

Focus on getting a variety first. One or tow of each type (there´s lots to choose from), but get as many as you can.
Put a few different ones in the cage and see how she gets on. You can have a couple on hand outside the cage to play with her, or to lay on a table or somewhere safe to stop and play.
Thank you so much, you are a true savior. :heart:

vrnkstxx

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronika St
Welcome! She's adorable. Budgieluv tagged some people already who should be able to answer your questions better than me. I'll just add that I fostered a lovebird for awhile and she absolutely loved fruits and vegetables. More so than my other birds. Red and yellow peppers and apples were some of her favorites.
Thank you for the recommendations, i will definitely try :heart:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's very cute!

Can you tell us a bit more about your set-up? The cage she's in looks like a round cage which aren't suitable for birds - they're far too small and don't allow a bird to stretch their wings, and don't offer corners that a shyer bird will find reassuring. A big cage will also give you much more scope to add a variety of toys and create an interesting layout for her to explore.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can you tell us a bit more about your set-up? The cage she's in looks like a round cage which aren't suitable for birds
OP doesn´t have the bird yet, so it looks like that is the breeders fledging cage.

vrnkstxx

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronika St
She's very cute!

Can you tell us a bit more about your set-up? The cage she's in looks like a round cage which aren't suitable for birds - they're far too small and don't allow a bird to stretch their wings, and don't offer corners that a shyer bird will find reassuring. A big cage will also give you much more scope to add a variety of toys and create an interesting layout for her to explore.
Oh hi! Sorry if i replied a little bit late. First of all thank you for the compliment, she is indeed very cute.
However, i have mentioned in my thread that i will be getting her in 2 days. The cage in the picture is not mine, but i do indeed have a relatively large cage. Also, worth to mention that i plan on letting my bird stay in the cage only for sleeping and eating since most of the time she will be free to roam around my apartment.
Still thank you for your concerns and tips, they are very appreciated:):)

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@vrnkstxx Supervised roaming, hopefully!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good to know that you have a bigger cage :)

Make sure you read up on parrot-proofing a room to make it safe for Luna. There are lots of household objects that can hurt them. You will also need to be very careful about windows and doors. Parrots often like to perch on the top of doors and this is fatal if the door suddenly slams shut.

vrnkstxx

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronika St
@vrnkstxx Supervised roaming, hopefully!
Yes, of course! I am a student doing online school in my last year of studies so i am home pretty much all the time. No worries here :) :) And if by any chance i am not at home, my parents are (are also in love with her btw) so she will be looked after almost always.

vrnkstxx

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Veronika St
Good to know that you have a bigger cage :)

Make sure you read up on parrot-proofing a room to make it safe for Luna. There are lots of household objects that can hurt them. You will also need to be very careful about windows and doors. Parrots often like to perch on the top of doors and this is fatal if the door suddenly slams shut.
Will definitely do a good reading on bird proofing, thank you for the tip. May i ask, what place would you recommend for placing the cage ? I read somewhere that it shouldn’t be placed directly to sunlight, is this true ?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will definitely do a good reading on bird proofing, thank you for the tip. May i ask, what place would you recommend for placing the cage ? I read somewhere that it shouldn’t be placed directly to sunlight, is this true ?
She just needs to be able to move out of the sun so she doesn’t overheat. Part of the cage could be in the sunlight. Also, windows/things seen through windows can be scary.

Reactions: tka

jzarc17

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jackie
Welcome! :AArocks:

I am a new lovebird owner myself, my bird also loves bells and sea grass as @fluffypoptarts said. It’s so funny to watch them play so aggressively with the bells. There are lots of very helpful people here! @fluffypoptarts and @Zara where a big help to me when I first got Lovebug.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
:welcometrain: I have nothing to say except for :goodluck: as everybody covered up most of the things already :)