• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

tip for sanitizing branches

ali_and_birdie

Meeting neighbors
Wood needs to reach an internal temp of 133ºF for 30 min to be fully sanitized per USDA guidelines. If you want to give your bird a branch from outdoors that's too large too sanitize in your oven, you can sanitize it in your car on a hot day.

When sitting in the sun, cars reach 48ºF hotter than the outside air. That means that on a day that's hotter than 85ºF, car temps will reach 133+. Of course, depending on the thickness of the branch (e.g., 1" vs 3") and the external temp (e.g., 85 degrees vs. 100 degrees) you would probably need to leave the branch in the car for anywhere from 3-8 hours. Not super efficient, but useful in a pinch.

(BTW, I'd still spray the wood down with a hose while scrubbing it, and then spray it with F10, in addition to the heating).

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hubby just picked up pine cones at the farm for Secret.

@Macawnutz I don't have F10. The farm is old, no chemicals. Can I put pine cones in the oven or should I do car since high heat in Missouri this week?

Should I just rinse?

ali_and_birdie

Meeting neighbors
Can I put pine cones in the oven or should I do car since high heat in Missouri this week?
I personally would always use the oven instead of the car for anything that fits in it. Much easier to control/ensure sufficient temperature. I'd just use the car trick for branches that don't fit, as a second-best option.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
This deos seem alot better than bleaching, thank you for the information.