• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tiny chick

Jessatiel

Meeting neighbors
Hello,
I’m caring for a chick that my cockatiels rejected. I’ve never have-fed a chick, and I hope for input from folks experienced with very young chicks. I’m researching as much as possible, and am feeding with a syringe according to the formula’s instructions for amount, temperature, etc. But my chick’s crop shows some veins, and I’ve read that can be a sign of infection. I’m letting the crop empty between feeds, and the chick is pretty alert and happy to eat. I’ve attached a post-feeding photo of my Peeper, hatched on 7/9. Please let me know what you think (any red flags, info you need, etc...) and THANK YOU!
(edited for typos)

Attachments

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Do the parents have any other chicks?

What formula are you feeding? At what temperature?

Is there a local breeder who may be able to give you a handfeeding demonstration?

Where are you keeping the chick?

I’m letting the crop empty between feeds,
The crop does not need to completely empty between every feed. Just once per 24 hours. Feed this bird every few hours.

I’ve never have-fed a chick
It would have been helpful to learn this when you decided to allow the birds to breed. It is very important skill to learn, as it can easily be done wrong.
Normally I recommend spoons to novices, however the bird is so small, ( @Mockinbirdiva ? )

Jessatiel

Meeting neighbors
Do the parents have any other chicks?
—> no other chicks... a previous check hatched, but did not survive (I now believe he or she got too chilled

What formula are you feeding? At what temperature?
Katee infant bird formula, and 104-105 F

Is there a local breeder who may be able to give you a handfeeding demonstration?
I have checked on Nextdoor, but have no replies. So far, I‘ave watched YouTube videos to learn some technique.

Where are you keeping the chick?
currently in a container,under a heat Emitting bulb. Chick has an area away from the bulb in case it’s too intense, butthe area temps in the 90s. I change the paper After each meal. Since the baby is more mobile, I plan on transitioning to an old, clean fish tank (10 gallon

The crop does not need to completely empty between every feed. Just once per 24 hours. Feed this bird every few hours.

I am feeling every 2-3 hours, with a gap between midnight and 6am. I’m glad crop doesn’t have to empty each time... I was worried about sour crop.

It would have been helpful to learn this when you decided to allow the birds to breed. It is very important skill to learn, as it can easily be done wrong.

I’ve been told removing eggs will just make the mama lay more and more. So I left the eggs alone. This is the first time any have hatched. For the future, I’m getting false eggs, as I do not intend to have my pets breed ( they were Hand-raised, and perhaps that is why they are not excellent parents, so far

Normally I recommend spoons to novices, however the bird is so small, ( @Mockinbirdiva ? )
I know the photo is small, but dies the crop look ok?

thank you!!

edit: apologies for typos... it’s difficult to type accurately on my phone.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I know the photo is small, but dies the crop look ok?
A little over fed, see the bulge at the top left. The food must go down into the crop.
But hard to say from just looking at a picture.

When you speak of veins, those little veins you see at the front are normal.

Dummy eggs are a handy tool to have. Other options are to boil, allow to cool and put back. (I prefer dummy eggs because then you can even replace broken eggs)

I don´t know about heat lamps, I prefer a heat pad under the brooder.
@Laurie @finchly

Jessatiel

Meeting neighbors
Thank you so much... I’ll reduce volume of formula at the next feeding.

I appreciate your help!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
If you have made it this far then keep up the good work. As was mentioned you can offer a little less food so that the neck area is not bulging.

I would not leave the baby for more than four hours at this age, even overnight. I am not sure the schedule for a cockatiel. I would say once it takes four hours for the crop to empty then you can leave it six overnight. So if it is taking 3 hours then maybe leave it for five at night. When it is taking 6 hours to empty then you can leave it 8 overnight.

I am feeding an 8 day old caique and he empties about every four hours so I will leave him six hours over night and try to get 5 feedings in during the day most likely. Today is the first day so I am monitoring and figuring out the schedule. You really kind of need to figure out the schedule that allows the baby to take in the most total amount of food for the day.

As for the heat emitting bulb, as long as it is not to hot you can use it. Is it a ceramic one, like for reptiles. Those are fine but they do get quite hot so you need to monitor the temperature. Also if the room temp warms it could get hotter so once you get it set keep checking it.

Best wishes.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You’ll feed about 10% of his weight at each feeding. More than that is usually too much. I say that with caution cause they get these growth spurts. But their crop can’t hold much more, and over feeding can stretch the crop too much.

Formula should be around 104 F, he should be kept warm maybe 80 degrees at this age. I’m surprised he’s going 4 hours!
He’s a cutie. Keep us updated ok?

Jessatiel

Meeting neighbors
You’ll feed about 10% of his weight at each feeding. More than that is usually too much. I say that with caution cause they get these growth spurts. But their crop can’t hold much more, and over feeding can stretch the crop too much.

Formula should be around 104 F, he should be kept warm maybe 80 degrees at this age. I’m surprised he’s going 4 hours!
He’s a cutie. Keep us updated ok?
Will-do! :)

Jessatiel

Meeting neighbors
If you have made it this far then keep up the good work. As was mentioned you can offer a little less food so that the neck area is not bulging.

I would not leave the baby for more than four hours at this age, even overnight. I am not sure the schedule for a cockatiel. I would say once it takes four hours for the crop to empty then you can leave it six overnight. So if it is taking 3 hours then maybe leave it for five at night. When it is taking 6 hours to empty then you can leave it 8 overnight.

I am feeding an 8 day old caique and he empties about every four hours so I will leave him six hours over night and try to get 5 feedings in during the day most likely. Today is the first day so I am monitoring and figuring out the schedule. You really kind of need to figure out the schedule that allows the baby to take in the most total amount of food for the day.

As for the heat emitting bulb, as long as it is not to hot you can use it. Is it a ceramic one, like for reptiles. Those are fine but they do get quite hot so you need to monitor the temperature. Also if the room temp warms it could get hotter so once you get it set keep checking it.

Best wishes.
Thank you! Yes, it’s a small ceramic bulb that we use to supplement our resident lizard’s heat during the chilly months. :)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Glad he´s doing ok! Thanks for the update :)

Raptor40

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cody
Hey!

Not sure if this helps, but I made the following blank Logbook when I was rearing my chicks. It helped me to record their weight at each feed to make sure they were eating exactly 10% (I used a cheap supermarket gram scale, but it worked fine) as well as to keep track of feeds and chick development. It helps to track overall weight gain and growth too so you can identify any problems such as sudden weight loss or stunting.

All the best with your little one!

Attachments

Jessatiel

Meeting neighbors
Hey!

Not sure if this helps, but I made the following blank Logbook when I was rearing my chicks. It helped me to record their weight at each feed to make sure they were eating exactly 10% (I used a cheap supermarket gram scale, but it worked fine) as well as to keep track of feeds and chick development. It helps to track overall weight gain and growth too so you can identify any problems such as sudden weight loss or stunting.

All the best with your little one!
That is a great idea! Hard data can be really reassuring, too. :) thanks!

Jessatiel

Meeting neighbors
Day 11 update: chick is not so tiny! (Relatively). He or she eats like a champ, and always cries for more, but I’m sticking to the 10% rule. Lots of feathers coming in. Mom is a cinnamon/pearl, and Dad is a pearl/pied... I’m looking forward to seeing how their baby turns out. :)
EF600474-8E38-48D7-BC38-C2500C9C1AB0.jpeg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Day 11 update: chick is not so tiny! (Relatively). He or she eats like a champ, and always cries for more, but I’m sticking to the 10% rule. Lots of feathers coming in. Mom is a cinnamon/pearl, and Dad is a pearl/pied... I’m looking forward to seeing how their baby turns out. :)
:devil:Want me to tell you how it will turn out?

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Any photos of the parents , in case you got their mutations wrong? Or are you sure thats what they are?