• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tiny bird wants to be friends with a dog

Peepers

Strolling the yard
Peepers is getting more and more brave every day. Now she is curious about our dog (he's quite small) and MUST go over to him. Just now Peepers was hanging out with me on the couch, and my dog was at my side. She kept going over to him... I'd take her away, and she'd hop over to him again. She also wants to pull the fur on his paws. lol! Of course all of this happens quickly and my hand is close to my dog's face to shield Peepers (never know, right?). I finally had to put her back in her cage because she reallllllly wanted to be with my dog. Now she's all hyper in her cage! :laugh:
(I don't have a pic because I have to watch them too closely!!)
EDITED to add: My dog looks at the bird, then looks at me with a "what the heck?" look in his eyes.

Last edited:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You need to stop this interaction. You are not faster than a nip.
While it is cute, it's also a deadly accident waiting to happen.
Even the smallest, gentlest dog can easily damage or kill a bird.
Even accidently something could happen.
Your pup should be in another room while your bird is out.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
My lovebird thinks she's the Boss of all of my animals, and of me! In comparison to a finch, she's huge! but overall lovebirds are very small. Its hard to explain, she just is bossy haha

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Please heed @macawpower58's warning very carefully. Peepers and your dog should never be loose in the same room, let alone interacting in any capacity... personally, I wouldn't want the dog in the same room even if Peepers is caged. Birds and other pets simply do not mix and there's no such thing as being too careful when it comes to keeping them separated.

Peepers

Strolling the yard
Please heed @macawpower58's warning very carefully. Peepers and your dog should never be loose in the same room, let alone interacting in any capacity... personally, I wouldn't want the dog in the same room even if Peepers is caged. Birds and other pets simply do not mix and there's no such thing as being too careful when it comes to keeping them separated.
I know. My dog is a tiny breed, and can't reach the cage which is on a high stand.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I know. My dog is a tiny breed, and can't reach the cage which is on a high stand.
Make sure the stand is secure and couldn't be knocked over.

And continue to be cautious. You got solid advice here. Many of us have dogs and there is nothing wrong with having other pets. Though we can never forget the predator vs prey relationship. No dog is at fault.

Peepers

Strolling the yard
The stand is solid wood and can't be knocked over by a dog that is under 10 pounds.
Edited to add: My dog is a "velcro dog" and never leaves my side, so he is never in the living room alone with our bird.

Last edited: