• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Timothy Hay for nesting material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuke

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nuke
Hello... (I'm new here and I've never really posted a forum/thread before, so excuse my amateurishness)

I got a new Ring-neck Dove last week on Dec. 28th. I got her so my Tangerine Dove would have someone to interact with other than me and my finch. They get along alright and after I woke up this morning I saw them kissing and then they mated. I thought it'd be a nice experience to see birds raise young again (last time I've seen it happen is with my parakeets back in 2006).

Would it be safe to use timothy hay for their nesting box? It's a Kaytee brand that I'd originally bought for my Sulcata Tortoise to eat, but we have a lot left.
Also, name suggestions for my new dove would be nice :3 Here's a picture of her: newduv.png (sorry for the bad quality)

kastelling

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Megan
Yes, we give timothy hay to all the birdies at my store, for enrichment, etc. It's safe!

Nuke

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nuke
Lucky you get to work at a store with birds :D
Thanks!

Missi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Missi
I don't know anything about doves, but I do love them! I found this article. Looks pretty good! Nest Construction

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa
I too think hay is a-okay! My only concern would be that it can be pretty dusty sometimes, so I'd just try to watch for agitation/sneezing to make sure it isn't too dusty! :)

She sure is pretty!

Nuke

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nuke
Oh wow really? Because I just created a post about my dove sneezing a lot and it just may be the reason why she's doing so. Thanks for telling!

Naiera

Real Name
Alyssa
Oh wow really? Because I just created a post about my dove sneezing a lot and it just may be the reason why she's doing so. Thanks for telling!

Ah, hopefully it's just the hay! If the sneezing began when you started offering it I wouldn't be surprised - it's amazing how dusty it can be. In my opinion timothy hay seems to be a dustier one. If you still want to use hay you could try orchard grass - I find it to be a bit less dusty than timothy typically. Pretty sure you can get it in the small pet section in most pet stores - I know oxbow sells it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.