• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Timneh info?

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
Hi, I’m curious about Timnehs. I have a cage that’s 34h 44w 27d is that enough? Also I’m curious about their personalities. Are they scared of everything? I’m end goal is free flight for all my birds. I have a sun conure currently and are planning on getting more birds. Are they friendly with other birds? Please let me know everything about your timneh. Thank you!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I’m end goal is free flight for all my birds.
So you've owned a bird for how long now? (a few months?) I can tell you right now that until you've got about 20 years experience under your belt and much of that time is spent actively learning about parrot behaviour and "training" yourself to do this, free flight is a pipe dream.

Your Conure is most likely going to be the instigator in any future flock. They're not known to play friendly with most species. Having said that all relationships are situational and all birds are individuals. What your asking is will Joe get along with Fred and live happily ever after. Good question.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I cannot tell you about timnehs. I can tell you about Edgar, but he is quite special. Why is he special? Because each bird is special, unique. Each bird has his/hers own personality.
Edgar is quite calm bird. Not very loud, not very aggresive, except... when he is aggresive (like now when he is hormonal).
He is scared of few things, like colorful, big toys. Or sometimes colorful small toys. Or new things I would never think could scare him. And sometimes I try to introduce a new thing very slowly, and it quickly appears that Edgar is not scared at all.
And sometimes he can get scared of something he already knows (like the sound of me closing the drawer). It doesn't mean he gets scared easily. It means that I never know what might scare him. That's why I would never dare to free fly him.
He is very receptive to our training sessions. I can tell he likes them. Not always, but most of the times and I believe those training sessions are necessary for his entertainment and mental development.
He bites. Not very often and usually he gives several warnings before. But sometimes he just bites - when he is angry, hormonal, surprised. He doesn't use his full strength though.
Usually he doesn't like when I do something and not pay attention to him. He wants to do this with me. He wouldn't let me talk through the phone (he thinks phone is his and tries to take it out of my hand), he wouldn't let me crochet (crochet is his just like the phone), he doesn't like when I use computer mouse (his as well) and a keyboard (gues what... his). I have to put him in the cage when I need to work. But when in the cage Edgar is calm and patiently waits for me to get him out.
So to summarize: he requires a lot of attention, patience and early training (I can see what huge benefits I get just because I started to train him from the very beginning - I got him when he was 6 months old and started to train him the second day he was with me)

Phoenix&Li

Walking the driveway
I cannot tell you about timnehs. I can tell you about Edgar, but he is quite special. Why is he special? Because each bird is special, unique. Each bird has his/hers own personality.
Edgar is quite calm bird. Not very loud, not very aggresive, except... when he is aggresive (like now when he is hormonal).
He is scared of few things, like colorful, big toys. Or sometimes colorful small toys. Or new things I would never think could scare him. And sometimes I try to introduce a new thing very slowly, and it quickly appears that Edgar is not scared at all.
And sometimes he can get scared of something he already knows (like the sound of me closing the drawer). It doesn't mean he gets scared easily. It means that I never know what might scare him. That's why I would never dare to free fly him.
He is very receptive to our training sessions. I can tell he likes them. Not always, but most of the times and I believe those training sessions are necessary for his entertainment and mental development.
He bites. Not very often and usually he gives several warnings before. But sometimes he just bites - when he is angry, hormonal, surprised. He doesn't use his full strength though.
Usually he doesn't like when I do something and not pay attention to him. He wants to do this with me. He wouldn't let me talk through the phone (he thinks phone is his and tries to take it out of my hand), he wouldn't let me crochet (crochet is his just like the phone), he doesn't like when I use computer mouse (his as well) and a keyboard (gues what... his). I have to put him in the cage when I need to work. But when in the cage Edgar is calm and patiently waits for me to get him out.
So to summarize: he requires a lot of attention, patience and early training (I can see what huge benefits I get just because I started to train him from the very beginning - I got him when he was 6 months old and started to train him the second day he was with me)
Wow. Thank you for telling me about Edgar.