• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Timeh African Grey

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
I am getting a 16 year old Timeh African Grey.. im meeting Max today after work.

I am slightly worried how he will view Zazu.. My GCC

Zazu surprisingly gets along with other birds. A neighbor who lives in the basement has the exact same parrot just male from and she also has cockatiel. Zazu isn't mean. At first a little bit of puffinf of feathers but after 15 min she seems fine. No hissing. No lunging. As for the neighbors parrot, Petey he is a character! Wants everyone's attention on HIM. He seems like a bully.. we are working on having them play nice via birdy play dates. So this is why I feel Zazu won't be a problem with another bird.. Zazu was just very comfortable.. though we were also in their home so perhaps ZaU has outstanding birds manners and was just not making any trouble. Haha.

I am worried bout the beaks... greys vs. gcc...

Any tips or advice on Timehs and how to properly introduce Max to Zazu...

Max is being removed because he drives his owners parents nuts. So I am working with a possible loud bird but I am sure with lots of love and treats he will change his ways. :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new bird. I know some people here successfully do it, but I don't mix beak sizes. I have a goffin and 2 cockatiels. I never let my goffin out with my tiels. During the day, I have their cages in the same room. So, they hang out together that way but that's all. I don't think my goffin would purposely hurt the tiels but accidents can happen so fast. So, I just don't risk it.

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
I do understand the risks of having a larger parrot out with a smaller parrot. I live in an apartment and I am by myself (parents fell ill.. and well...) I am pretty certain ill be in this family apartment until at least next year. I'm pretty much piling my money into my savings so when I do have to move I have no issues. (Of course I'm looking at pet friendly places and even am considering having Max as my ESA like I have done with my Cat, Angel that way housing won't be a huge issue.)

They will have their own cage and once I move i will buy a large tree play stand so they have a neutral area to hang out on if they so choose.

I just am not sure how Timehs are.. I know they are smaller and aren't as loud as CAGS. Are they more independent? I understand most aren't too touchy/cuddly but there are some that love cuddles. Im not looking for cuddles i get PLENTY of them from Zazu and Angel.

I plan on getting infant toys for Max but im not sure how to hang them in the cage or if that's even a thing.. or just leave them on the cage floor?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I do understand the risks of having a larger parrot out with a smaller parrot. I live in an apartment and I am by myself (parents fell ill.. and well...) I am pretty certain ill be in this family apartment until at least next year. I'm pretty much piling my money into my savings so when I do have to move I have no issues. (Of course I'm looking at pet friendly places and even am considering having Max as my ESA like I have done with my Cat, Angel that way housing won't be a huge issue.)

They will have their own cage and once I move i will buy a large tree play stand so they have a neutral area to hang out on if they so choose.

I just am not sure how Timehs are.. I know they are smaller and aren't as loud as CAGS. Are they more independent? I understand most aren't too touchy/cuddly but there are some that love cuddles. Im not looking for cuddles i get PLENTY of them from Zazu and Angel.

I plan on getting infant toys for Max but im not sure how to hang them in the cage or if that's even a thing.. or just leave them on the cage floor?

I wasn't trying to discourage you. You can make it work. :) I do. You jut have to be careful. I'm not sure what you mean by infant toys?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
The one thing you must remember is the "powder down" from the Grey kept in the same living space with a new world bird ( your green cheek) is extremely harmful to the lungs of your Zazu. Not to rain on your happiness for giving a home to a bird in need but this is an important reminder about mixing Old World and New World birds and the consequences of doing so. It requires diligence on your part keeping the two separated and ample QUALITY air purification systems in your home even if they aren't kept in the same room.

Coldbreeze

Real Name
Alana
The one thing you must remember is the "powder down" from the Grey kept in the same living space with a new world bird ( your green cheek) is extremely harmful to the lungs of your Zazu. Not to rain on your happiness for giving a home to a bird in need but this is an important reminder about mixing Old World and New World birds and the consequences of doing so. It requires diligence on your part keeping the two separated and ample QUALITY air purification systems in your home even if they aren't kept in the same room.

I do plan on buying a good air purify for the grey along with a humidifier to help keep the air moist. :) i don't know if ill be able to keep them in separate rooms though.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
I had an Amazon with two Cockatiels and it was not a good. They were ok if out at different times. The tiels would bite at the Amazon's toes if she landed on their cage and I couldn't let them out when the Amazon was out. One time the tiel did get out and almost lost a foot when the Amazon went after her. It can be done, but it wasn't worth the stress of having two different "beak" sized birds. The best of luck to you.

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
I've had my timneh just shy of 20 years. I've had my lovebird for 15 years, and if she could my grey would definitely kill my lovebird. I've had to be very careful for 15 years. Just my experience.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I do plan on buying a good air purify for the grey along with a humidifier to help keep the air moist. :) i don't know if ill be able to keep them in separate rooms though.
Just so you know how deadly the dust from a Grey can be for your green cheek. There have been members here who have lost their New World birds to a painful death because they kept their birds in close proximity. Even with air purifiers.
@Hankmacaw