• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tilly lives on!

mama.marci

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Marcela
Hello All, I am on here to tell you, Tilly lives on! <3
As a family we read all the amazing comments and suggestions on the 2 other threads that i posted and agreed that we were going to let him go in peace, so we decided that we would make him as comfortable as we could until it was our day to take him in. He must have known something was up, maybe it was the extra attention or the extra treats but he was squawking and "dancing" and saying all the phrases my mom had taught him (side note it was really eerie to hear my mothers voice) anyway, he was just being his old self and i thought to myself "oh god he knows we are going to put him down...why are you doing this to me bird"

Fast forward a week or so and its the day of... the vet has to cancel our anointment (emergency) we are to come in the next day...Guess what cancelled AGAIN. I thought "either this bird has nine lives or the universe is saying something" So ill be honest with you Christmas was coming up we put off putting him down and just enjoyed him. My dad unknowing bought this food called avicakes and was telling me that Tilly was actually eating again. Now my dad is seeing food is actually being eaten and water is being drunk. No longer do we have this frail, weak shivering bird. He is looking so much better<3. But with the mass still a cause for concern I found a vet that would see him at the end of January which worked for us because we started saving like crazy!

So with that being said ... Bad news? the mass has grown 2x bigger since she was last seen and she is too weak to go in for surgery. Good news? The doctor said with a diet change, vitamin supplements and some antibiotics, he believes she will make it through surgery to remove the mass which could be fast growing because she has a high fat diet. Not once did he utter the words euthanasia nor did i feel the need to ask it. I am feeling this hope that we might make it after all...The scariest part about all of this? i have to administer her meds 2x a day...THAT IS SCARY lol! They showed me how to hold her and all but eesh im nervous...now that she is feeling better she is BITING...her first dose is TONIGHT lol pray for me that Tilly doesn't get my fingers :lol:

P.s I was thoroughly educated today and Im feeling much more prepared...its basically like a child just feathered and squawks :heart:
And also a HUGE THANK YOU to all the support I was given months ago.:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Wow, what a turn around! Hopefully she will get strong enough to go through the surgery and it will be a success. It does seem like everything has been pushing her and you in that direction!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
What a fantastic update! I wish Tilly a safe and successful surgery!

:strhng:GO TILLY!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Wonderful news! We're rooting for you and Tilly!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Just reinforces my belief that You (the collective you) should never give up on your bird. I hate seeing people say that they need to euthanize one when there is just the tiniest chance.

Thank you for giving this baby an opportunity.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful news!

With practice, you'll be able to get medication into Tilly more easily. My first few attempts with Leia were a mess! But by the end of her course of antibiotics it only took me a few seconds to dose her. One thing to be aware of is that Tilly will probably try to chew on and destroy the syringe - keep a backup supply.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's wonderful! I hope the surgery goes well and thanks for the update.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Wonderful update!

I´m sure you will get the hang of administering the meds. I wish Tilly well and an unprobematic surgery and recovery :hug9:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thanks so much for the update! That's great news! Please keep us updated with any further news! :)

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
So glad that you're able to have so much more time with Tilly!!! Galahs are really prone to Lipomas (a kind of benign fatty tumor). Once Tilly is feeling stronger and recovered from surgery, transitioning to a lower fat diet might be helpful... But talk to your vet before making any major changes. We're all here to support you through the ups and downs of getting a bird through a rough patch. Big hugs to you!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Geez the universe definitely in your favor! Go Tilly! :cantwait::cantwait:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award