• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tile?

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Is there any concern with having tile flooring installed? We need to have our kitchen floor replaced and I wanted to see if any of you know of any concerns I need to worry about? I can't think of anything but better safe than sorry and all that.

@JLcribber

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Need to know all the materials used to check for bird safety

To be sure can you remove bird to another floor etc.

Hazards
Construction dust taking out old floor & baseboards & mixing of grout powders cement etc
Ceramic or vinyl tile?
Both likely need some adhesive or cement to adhere them to floor which could have chemical odor.
Glue can be very toxic.

Some chemical free examples but still does not prove bird safe but safer.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I’m assuming ceramic tile. That’s going to mean either glue or mortar. Then there will be grouting. All toxic procedures.

I’ve mentioned this many times in the past. The secret to doing any renovations is “ventilation”. You must create a negative air space where the construction is happening. This is achieved by putting a large box fan in a window in that space and pointing it “out”. This will create low pressure in that space which will cause the air in all other parts of the house to flow “towards” that area and out the window. The bigger more powerful the fan. The more effective the whole thing works.

There could be a dead skunk in that room and you would not know it any where else in the house.

This is how firefighters quickly clear a building with smoke except they put a second powerful fan on the other end pointing in to power rinse the air.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Wow Thank you all I had no idea! Porcelain tile is what it will be with grout and at least a portion of new sub floor. Does it matter if the space is extremely open John? We have a window in the kitchen so the fan would be no problem. The kitchen is pretty open to the dining room and the living room though.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Wow Thank you all I had no idea! Porcelain tile is what it will be with grout and at least a portion of new sub floor. Does it matter if the space is extremely open John? We have a window in the kitchen so the fan would be no problem. The kitchen is pretty open to the dining room and the living room though.
Everything heads towards that fan. The best place for the birds is at the far end of the airspace opposite the fan But not in the same room. There must be some physical separation like a door.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Everything heads towards that fan. The best place for the birds is at the far end of the airspace opposite the fan But not in the same room. There must be some physical separation like a door.
Jenks would be in his room at that time so there is a door and his room is opposite of where a fan would be. I could put a few fans in the exterior doorway in our plant room, it is off of the kitchen. That door will be open anyway as they will be using it to bring things in and it would put the fans in a place that is out of the way for the workers.

Would it still create proper negative air space if the fans are not in the exact room that construction is happening in and in a door instead of a window? I would think it would pull everything through the kitchen and out the door, but this is for sure not my forte. I am horrible at describing things, if I take video of our layout will you take a peak and give me your opinion? I want to do everything possible to make my little buddy as safe as I can.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Jenks would be in his room at that time so there is a door and his room is opposite of where a fan would be.
That's all I did for my birds. Everyone lived. :D
Would it still create proper negative air space if the fans are not in the exact room that construction is happening in and in a door instead of a window?
You can direct the air from anywhere to anywhere you want. It may take a couple more fans to get it to flow where you want. As long as it's going away from wherever those birds are.

Do a test run. Setup some fans and then cook something really stinky in the kitchen. You should not be able to smell it in the bird area.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
They start demo today. :leslieatwork: :DThey are so swamped right now it took 3 months to get us on schedule.

Before:With shameless cat photo bomb!:wacky:
531201A5-9D87-4C5D-BCDB-9FDC3C6D0391.jpeg

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree big box fan or window fan pushing air outward. Put your bird in a room at the far end of the house & close the door. If possible open another window that the fan will pull fresh air across & into/thru the work area & out the window. If the fan pushing air out isn't strong eough to pull fresh air in from another window, then set up 2 fans. One pulling in fresh air & one pushing it out. The workers may get a bit cold, since you're in IL. I did this when I stripped wood work on an entire staircase one winter. The key is to get that air moving to push the fumes outside & not allow any to permeate into the rest of the house.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
They actually created a negative air space for us. They took out the screen in the kitchen window and hooked a hose and seal type of system up to suck the air out. They walled off the opening to the main house as well. The birds are not happy about the noise but are doing very well. I have their Rabbit on high and their room is well away from the work!
5B090448-EBFB-4477-A0C9-239D8F5C8422.jpeg 3013CB09-197E-47CA-9A9F-5ED957A0A0C7.jpeg

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great set up. Nice they'd do that for you.

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Different stages of the floor. I think they will be finishing up the grout today. Right now they are removing all of the spacers. Then they will be installing the new dishwasher. Can’t wait to have my kitchen back but they have done a great job!

E19A85C6-875A-4B55-8CAF-B84D5FA8DFB4.jpeg 2DA1F4F6-5B18-436E-BC07-60A4ECD39DA6.jpeg
D695E8D7-88A4-4562-B09B-33732BCE33F0.jpeg

38F98323-D370-4577-A618-02552DEE8106.jpeg

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
All I could think of on first glance . . . "Carrot patterns are kinda cute on a kitchen tile!"

I'm sure it'll look great when they take the "carrots" away ;)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great ?'s & Great answers! I'm so glad that they did the negative airspace for ya'll. Wonderful news. Nice pics, I can't wait to see the finished product...
:bighug: