• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tikki and Chipper

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
I made the mistake tonight of accidently not latching Tikki's cage. We ate dinner, and I heard Tikki and Tootie screaming, so I got up to check on them, and Tikki came flying into the living room. Thankfully he came right to me and I quickly got him into his cage, but I just knew he had landed on Chipper's cage. I could just tell based on that scream. I checked his toes and they were fine, but I found his leg was pouring blood. I grabbed him and wrapped him up and my husband doused the leg in quick stop. I brought him to the travel carrier and off we went to the vet. Thanks to @EkkieLu for keeping me sane on the phone while I drove the 45 minutes.
The doctor cleaned him up and said there were no obvious fractures and no need for stitches, but his leg was really ugly. They have him a pain injection and Baytril for 10 days. We removed his swing and padded his cage.
I feel horrible for making that mistake. It's not his fault, and it's not Chipper's either. They're animals, and it's my job to keep them safe, and I failed my little one tonight. I'm just so thankful it wasn't any worse, he's a very lucky birdie! And thank goodness I had his first aid kit and carrier ready to go, just in case of emergency. Check your kits, and hug your birdies!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aww I'm sorry you both had to go through this! I know it's hard to not think about the what ifs, etc, but focus on the fact that your baby got the help he needed and will be okay :hug3:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How scary, I’m so bad little Tikki will be okay and that you were able to get him to the vet so quickly! Thank goodness for @EkkieLu too!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I feel horrible for making that mistake. It's not his fault, and it's not Chipper's either. They're animals, and it's my job to keep them safe, and I failed my little one tonight. I'm just so thankful it wasn't any worse, he's a very lucky birdie! And thank goodness I had his first aid kit and carrier ready to go, just in case of emergency. Check your kits, and hug your birdies!!!
I am so sorry you feel this way. You didn't fail your little one. Accidents can happen. It is very scary when an accident happens between two vastly different sized birds. It sounds to me like you had a plan ready and acted fast! You saved Tikki's life. I think you did amazingly well by him. It could have been much much worse.

Sending Tikki warm thoughts. I am so sorry he is in pain. :sadhug:

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Oh no how scary! I’m so glad that Tikki is okay! Sending love and healing thoughts your way! :hug4:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
So glad to hear all is ok after the big scare. Things like this can happen.... thank you for the reminder to keep carriers and first aid stuff readily available :hug8:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It's so easy to miss a latch. I've done it too. Fortunately nothing worse happened and you took him to the vet right away. I'm sorry it happened and wish healing thoughts for Tikki.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I made the mistake tonight of accidently not latching Tikki's cage. We ate dinner, and I heard Tikki and Tootie screaming, so I got up to check on them, and Tikki came flying into the living room. Thankfully he came right to me and I quickly got him into his cage, but I just knew he had landed on Chipper's cage. I could just tell based on that scream. I checked his toes and they were fine, but I found his leg was pouring blood. I grabbed him and wrapped him up and my husband doused the leg in quick stop. I brought him to the travel carrier and off we went to the vet. Thanks to @EkkieLu for keeping me sane on the phone while I drove the 45 minutes.
The doctor cleaned him up and said there were no obvious fractures and no need for stitches, but his leg was really ugly. They have him a pain injection and Baytril for 10 days. We removed his swing and padded his cage.
Unfortunately chelsea, accidents do happen. Not your fault, but your quick response and readiness I give kudos for. And thanks to tricia for keeping you calm, She has a calm nature in her voice.
But I have had very similar thing happen several years back. Bird bit into a front toe of another bird, Left a gouge. But my wife and I cleaned it out, used common antibacterial gel, and wrapped it for a couple days. Healed right up. Somehow one of the birds managed to get out of cage.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I just want to echo what's being said, accidents happen. Ive certainly missed locks a number of times. Its easy to do. You did what matters most and got Tikki to the vet ASAP. I hope he feels better soon
:bluhug:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww don't feel bad, it's just the same with human kiddies, accidents can happen at any time, nobody is at fault. You acted swiftly, and, despite a small injury, Tikki and Chipper are both fine.
:bighug:

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Thanks everyone :grouphug2:
It was such a bummer of a night, I know he would have died if we hadn't stopped the bleeding, and I will forever keep this kit ready to go! I'll be adding the winter gloves I used to hold him to that kit because I probably would have had a finger nibbled off last night without them!
He's fluffy and perched in his cage this morning, and based on the droppings, he didn't move all night. He's still holding the leg up, but we'll see how he progresses. Lots of millet for him today!!

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They have him a pain injection and Baytril for 10 days.
He's fluffy and perched in his cage this morning, and based on the droppings, he didn't move all night. He's still holding the leg up, but we'll see how he progresses.
I'm hoping they also gave you oral meloxicam for at home. Sending positive thoughts that he heals easily.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
Tikki is eating, which is great. And Chipper knows that nobody could possibly be mad at him with a face like his! And he's right, he was probably afraid when a tiny little birdie suddenly appeared on his cage, so I'm glad he's his perky self this morning. Tootie seems calm too after calling for Tikki most of the evening. IMG_20191201_092404.jpg IMG_20191201_092336.jpg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Glad Tiki is OK.
I just want to echo what's being said, accidents happen. Ive certainly missed locks a number of times. Its easy to do. You did what matters most and got Tikki to the vet ASAP.
I second this...and yes, we've missed locks at times.
I know he would have died if we hadn't stopped the bleeding,
...a "what if" is just that...a "what if"...and it serves as a reminder for all of us to always remain alert...even when performing the most mundane of tasks for our birds...

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
So glad all is going well now. You did good!!!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
We've all made mistakes, we're human, but I know how frustrating it is that we can simply forget to do something we do a million times a day. I've definitely done it too. I'm very glad Tikki is doing okay!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Oh no, it's not your fault, accidents happen in split seconds. I'm glad @EkkieLu was on the phone with you, thank you @EkkieLu she was doing what I did for her the night Angel got hurt. It means so much to have bird buddy to be a comfort.
I hope that Tikki heals quickly. Poor little buddy. Latches can be stinkers to make sure they are shut. Sweet Pea got out because I always tell my babies goodbye before I leave the house. My jacket snagged the latch as I left. She wasn't in her cage when I got home. She was scared and in silent mode when I found her hanging on picture in living room. I scooped her up, no boo boos thank god. Now I tell Bebe good bye before I get my winter jacket on. Safer that way.
Feel better little one Chipper didn't mean it.