• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Tigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

featherbabies

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barbara
My poor baby is heading to the vet! The past week I had noticed a spot of his left shoulder that the feathers looked a bit ratty. I toweled him, at great personal risk! The area had the no down feathers and looked like it was irritated. We upped the baths and kept a watch and it is no worse. Last night I had them all on the couch and playstands, and it looked the same. This morning I found this on the other shoulder!
DSCF6350.JPG

I'm so frustrated, not with the birds, but with me. We lost Cole, then about a week ago we dodged another tragedy when I found Mickey had taken a toy apart and lodged a chain link on the bottom jaw! Now Tigger is sick! The vet is booked, but we will be going in as a walk in this afternoon. I can't think of what has happened. Th only changes in the past few weeks is the birdroom has been unusually warm, and they have been otuside a few times in the aviary. Their food/cages etc are the same!

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm sorry Tigger is having a problem. I wonder if he could have picked something up in the aviary? I hope the vet visit gives you answers and that its nothing serious. :hug8:

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
ouch that looks painful! do you have any aloe? or saline solution? aloe would soothe the area for now until you can get him in and saline would keep it clean for now

featherbabies

Real Name
Barbara
I did squirt it with saline earlier, he was none too happy about me coming at him with the little pink saline bullet! The avin vet I first called said they were booked. I could bring him and leave him and they would see him. But that counts as an emergency, so they will charge $104 for an emergency, before they even examine him! I'm sorry but that is taking advantage of people in crisis mode! Taking him to the other vet!

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
oh yeah that is a lot :(

it kind of looks like he may have picked at it himself, might be itchy?

featherbabies

Real Name
Barbara
I do believe it is itchy. The other shoulder looked like he was picking at the feathers like it was itchy. This he did last night from about 7am-7pm, on the other shoulder. The aviary hasn't had any changes, and they have not been in it much. I am really thinking that the increased heat in the birdroom may have dried his skin so much that he is irritated, along with molting a bit. We'll see what the vet said this afternoon. Of course, gotta get the kids into the action. The oldest is on a bus to Orlando, and the youngest is heading to the doc today too for some what of an emergency! Between the birds and kids, a wonder I don't drink!!! :patrelax:

featherbabies

Real Name
Barbara
Tanks Sarah, I am going to look into that. I prefer to do my own vet care for the things I can. I save money and then save them from exposure from ickies at the vet!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Tanks Sarah, I am going to look into that. I prefer to do my own vet care for the things I can. I save money and then save them from exposure from ickies at the vet!
I would still have the vet look but when it comes to healing a wound that stuff works amazing fast. Heals in no time, my avian vet sent it to me for Maui's keel injury that would not heal.

featherbabies

Real Name
Barbara
Oh yeah, don't worry! I'll be there with my crutch, a crate, and a kiddo with his chair all in tow at the vet today! They won't know what hit them! I should have clarified, I won't treat this myself since I don't know what's wrong. But if I see it again, it may be something I can do myself then :) I panicked this morning when i saw it!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Could it be bug bites from out in the aviary? It may be hard to tell if he's done more damage by picking at it. Hope he heals quickly!
I agree with you about the ridiculously high prices of emergency care! Kick us while we are down! :mad:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Hope he'll be OK!

featherbabies

Real Name
Barbara
The vet was able to squeeze us in pretty quick :dance4:
The first side Tigger was picking at looked ike it was healing pretty quickly. The bad shoulder looked awful. Since he was picking one, then the other, the vet believes it might be behavioral or hormonal. So, he put a collar on Tigger to keep him away from his shoulder. We'll leave the collar on for 2 weeks while we put ointment on him.
As for the behavioral/hormonal aspect, I'll work on that one! The birdroom has been reall warm and dry so the first thing is to continue the increase in baths. Then adding more foraging and stuff to keep him busy. The vet did say he was a good looking bird. Other than working on his weight, all looked good. I will say he is pretty unhappy with that collar. Basically it is a foam tube over his neck, all taped up. He was sedated for the placement and is still thrashng around a bit. But he has managed to get up on the perch a few times now. We have him in a small wire crate with one perch until he gets his sealegs!
And I totally forgot until we arrived at the vet, that today is Tigger's 6th hatchday!! :greet6:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Awwww, and you got him a collar? :( Awful birthday :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Tigger! i am glad you got him to the vet Barbara! I hope with the collar and meds you will see some changes. What ointment did your vet prescribe?. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.