• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tiel moulted and his wing "clipped" itself... what to do?

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
So my cockatiel, Charlie, came to me missing the outermost feather on his left wing, and over time, it became apparent that it would never grow back. As a general rule, this doesn't slow him down. He's not the most efficient or graceful flier, but he gets around well enough.

...except when he moults.

Now this is only the 2nd time he's moulted since I got him, and the first time around, he'd been cooped up in a too-small cage for years and wasn't accustomed to flying (a flight across the room would leave him exhausted for two days), so the effects weren't as pronounced. However, when he moulted the 2nd-outermost feather, it took FOREVER to grow back, because without the big, outside feather to protect it as it grew in, he kept damaging it. He lost it twice as a blood feather before it finally grew out fully.

After a year at my house, he's a solid flier. Not the strongest or most graceful, but he can get where he wants to go.

Recently, though, he moulted that all-important 2nd most outermost feather, which has set off a chain reaction. The missing outer two feathers left the 3rd feather to bear the brunt of the air flow when he flies - air flow that is increased because being off-balance means he has to work harder to fly. That 3rd feather isn't designed to handle that level of stress and came out. That, in turn, left the 4th feather in the outermost position, with the same result.

Long story short, he's now he's missing ALL the long flight feathers on his left wing, while his right wing is fully feathered. For all intents and purposes, he's got a one-sided wing clip. He can no longer fly properly in a straight line, he can barely gain any altitude, and if last time is anything to go by, it could take months for them to grow back.

When he first moulted the 2nd feather, I was going to just wait for it to grow back, same as last time, but the chain reaction took me by surprise. I never expected him to end up so terribly off-balance. I'm starting to wonder if it might be better to just trim the right side to match the left. He'd lose some power (and he's not that powerful to begin with), but he'd at least be able to control his direction.

The problem with that, of course, is that when the left side DOES eventually grow back, he'd be left with the reverse problem: the right side trimmed and the left side grown out. The last thing I want to do is get stuck in a cycle of wing-clipping. And if I DO trim, what if he loses so much power that he can't fly at all? He'd be heartbroken.

So what do you think? Better to wait for the left side to grow in? (which could take a very long time, considering that flight itself is pulling the feathers loose), or trim so that he can immediately fly straight, but which could potentially lead to other issues?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If the feathers fell out fully, they will grow back in a few weeks, if the feathers broke off, you can possibly get a vet to pull them out all the way so they will all grow back at about the same time. Since you wouldn’t have to wait for a molt, that should also take a few weeks. If neither of things is possible, I probably would still leave the other wing alone. I wouldn’t think air flow would break a feather, but I don’t know for sure. It seems more likely that they would be breaking from crash landings or hitting things in too small of a cage. Your right about the lone feathers being vulnerable and more prone to breakage than when they are all in place.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
They did fall out fully, and the loss could easily have been caused by a crash landing or two. He's not at his most stable right now. :(

He's never locked inside his cage, and basically only goes in there to eat and drink (I think of it as his dining room) so that, at least, shouldn't be an issue.

Guess I'll give it a wait. One major improvement from his last moult is his diet. He spent seven years eating nothing but seeds. He now eats pellets happily and greens reluctantly. Maybe the improved diet will help the new feathers to be stronger and less prone to breaking/falling out than the old set.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Update:

As of yesterday Charlie can finally fly again! He did a couple of horizontal jaunts to test his wings (he's tried this a few times over the past few weeks and crash-landed every time), and then successfully gained enough height to reach his favorite hangout, the ceiling fan.

Poor little guy's been so angry and stressed over the past few weeks. When he flew, it was like that all that misery just sloughed off. The first thing he did after the flight was sing his little heart out. It's wonderful to see him happy and confident again.