• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Tiel hates new bigger cage

macawww

Hit the Road
Over Christmas I converted my tiels medium sized sleeping cage into a flight cage. I was under the impression bigger is always better. She still hates it... refuses to go in it when she used to always hang out in her open cage throughout the day as part of her climbing around (she'd climb in and out and all over) and would put herself away to sleep at night. Now I have to bribe her with millet. I gave her a month to get used to it, tried many different set ups and levels of fullness in terms of toys and perches and gave up and gave her her old cage back... she's currently in it grinding her beak. Odd bird

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I dont have too much advice, but maybe offer treats in her bowl for a while, and add some old toys from the old cage into the new one. Perhaps she feels a little exposed, so some seagrass activity mats might provide almost a 'wall' for her? Hope you figure out something soon :)

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
if you can, put the medium-sized cage into the flight cage :cool:. Honestly, Try covering one or two sides with a blanket she is familiar with? Is it possible to make sure the bigger cage is more exciting and higher than her old cage? Sometimes they just need time.

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Once my birds move to the next cage I remove the old one. They have only taken about 20mins to adopt the new one as home.

Are there swings in the new one? Toys? Perches,? Cuttlebone? Ladders?

Are you playing the radio so everything is relaxed during adjustment?

Have you said good bird pretty bird over and over?

Is there something amazing like the birds bedtime perch that didn't make the transition?

I know my budgies wouldn't go to bed whatever I did until I happened to buy them swings. Now they go home and sway till I cover them up.

Maybe you just haven't found the sweet spot for your tiel :)