• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Tiel has one black nostril and one red/pink nostril

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
I did put him in the shower with me..but it did not dislodge it. I can see a black shadow to the bottom of that nostril so I think it is in there pretty good. My vet said to call early in the morning and they will fit him in if possible.
This reminds me of the time when I was 6 yo in 1st grade, I rolled up my red bandaid with stars on it and put it up my nose. I got the idea because the teacher expressly told us not to put a crayon up our nose. I figured a bandaid was safe..lol. Then I tried to get out and it shoved it up further. I did not tell my parents because I did not want them to cut off my nose to get it. ( kids think the strangest things). When I was 11 yo I sneezed really hard with a cold and it came out! I had forgotten about it and it was still red with stars but a bit crusty.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
The obstruction can't go the other way unless you're like shoving it. My tiels get seeds in their noses all the time and they've always eventually come out on their own. Of course, if your vet can fit you in, it's not a bad idea.
Thanks enigma, I need to bring in his poop anyway to be checked. So I am collecting it on wax paper now.

I am thinking that the way he shoves his beak into the seed holder that this can easily cause a small seed to go into his nostril. Perhaps putting his seed in a dish would be better?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Just take him in and wait there. They’ll fit you in.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
His poop may be watery because of stress from the approaching storm. They can definitely tell.

Barbara jasko

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Barbara
Yes, could be a seed stuck in the nostril. I had a cockatiel with that problem. As hard as I tried, couldn't get that seed out. The vet popped it out in an instant. It does need to be removed when possible to prevent any infection.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
SUCESS! My avian vet found not one seed but two. He was so impressed with this situation that he is going to post his pics on his facebook site. Here are the pics I took.. He said that it is possible that the seeds came up from his digestive system but more likely it was from dumpster diving (my words) for seeds. He suggests to fill my seed cups with a thin layer so he cannot dig his beak into them.

IMG_0125.JPG IMG_0126.JPG IMG_0124.JPG
View attachment 285522 View attachment 285524

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I have to admit I'm curious how they were removed? Did just a sinus flush do it or did they have to try to go through the nostril to get them?

Very glad you had a good outcome though.

When my friend's son was small he shoved a raisin up his nose. And when it got wet from snot it got huge. It took them 3 hours in the ER to get it back out!

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I have to admit I'm curious how they were removed? Did just a sinus flush do it or did they have to try to go through the nostril to get them?

Very glad you had a good outcome though.

When my friend's son was small he shoved a raisin up his nose. And when it got wet from snot it got huge. It took them 3 hours in the ER to get it back out!
Wow that must have been awful for the poor boy. If you go on that Facebook site I posted:Avian and Exotic Animal Care - Home | Facebook you can see the video under "comments" of the whole process. He took a specialized bugger picker he called it :) and was able to coax it to pop out.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that the vet was able to remove the seeds and all is well with your 'tiel.