• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Tiel has one black nostril and one red/pink nostril

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
My Tiel is 3 months old. I just noticed that his right nostril looks black inside the nostril while the other is pink red. Is black normal? He is eating fine but his poop is liquid and I notice he drinks a lot of water. I am in the hurricane zone so cannot call the vet at the moment.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is it dirt or dust? Can you gently clean the nostrils with a moist Q tip? I'm sorry you are in that mess, and hope your bird will be ok.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are his droppings always mostly liquid or just currently? Tiel's dropping can become more watery when stressed.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I was able to contact my avian vet whose office closes in 5 min (of course my timing is bad). But they said any black area needs to be looked at. So they will see him tomorrow if weather permits.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you post pics of both nose and poops?

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Can you post pics of both nose and poops?
I can take a pic of his nose but I wiped up the poops. I will be putting him in his own cage and collect his poop overnite. Recently he gets real upset when he cant be in the cage with the budgies and is ignoring me which I don't like at all. Hold on and I will take a pic.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That should take care of it. It's pretty common for tiels to get crud in their noses.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Shower did not help but there is definitely something in his nostril because it sticks out a tiny bit.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Give it some time. He'll probably preen after his shower and the moisture will help it come out

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I just googled that (ugh) to see what anyone else has done, and some folks have injured their bird trying to remedy the situation, and most just said - see the vet. The only other suggestion which made sense is to put them in the shower with you, so that the moisture might cause them to sneeze... scary, because what if the obstruction went the other way. Hope he's okay until you can get him to the vet. Good vibes your way all of you in the storm's path.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I just googled that (ugh) to see what anyone else has done, and some folks have injured their bird trying to remedy the situation, and most just said - see the vet. The only other suggestion which made sense is to put them in the shower with you, so that the moisture might cause them to sneeze... scary, because what if the obstruction went the other way. Hope he's okay until you can get him to the vet. Good vibes your way all of you in the storm's path.
I did put him in the shower with me..but it did not dislodge it. I can see a black shadow to the bottom of that nostril so I think it is in there pretty good. My vet said to call early in the morning and they will fit him in if possible.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The obstruction can't go the other way unless you're like shoving it. My tiels get seeds in their noses all the time and they've always eventually come out on their own. Of course, if your vet can fit you in, it's not a bad idea.