• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thyroid Herbal Aid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Emma came to us as an overweight rescue, so we started to change her diet and give her more room for exercise. It seems like since she's been exercising more, she's been eating more. It makes sense, but she has now GAINED weight eating better and exercising.

The vet originally hypothesized that she had a hypothyroid condition causing the weight problem, and if she continued to gain we'd have to put her on meds.

She is not tame, and I'm very wary of having to catch her every single day to force her to take medications. I'm not sure that the benefits of it will be worth the daily stress and anxiety for her (I have no clue how old she is, but the old owner told us he had her for 3 years). I'm wondering if there's any herbal treatment that could be put in her water or bowl to help control her thyroid as an alternative. She does live with another budgie, so it would need to be ok for him as well.

Thanks for any thoughts!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Something called 'Liquid Kelp' should help. it contains minerals and iodine that should help with thyroid problems. You can do a Google search: Liquid Kelp to read of the benefits, etc of it's use.

Also full spectrum lighting may be benefical.

Status
Not open for further replies.