• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent throwing up for no reason ??

shmog

Strolling the yard
My budige just started throwing up seeds + apple and I'm not sure why!!

She's just started molting a few days ago as well, and I also just gave her some green apple about 30 minutes ago. I don't know if the apple could be the cause of this, is it possible for a bird to get an upset tummy? I had the same apple and I'm feeling fairly fine, as far as I can tell. It was a bit sour and hard but nothing extreme!! Could this be the cause for it? We've given her Carsil (liver medication) last month for a whole month and have started it again around 3 days ago after we saw little to no improvement in her droppings (vet told us we could), but she didn't throw up when we originally gave it to her, so I'm not sure if this could be a factor or not. :(

I'm in the midst of contacting our vet and cleaning up the mess. I feel like such a bad birdie mom!! Could an apple really make her throw up like that?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Probably not and Carsil ( silymarin ) should not either. Is she getting any other medications? The possibility of an infection is always present, so if it continues - it's off to the vet.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are you sure it was vomiting or regurgitation? Regurgitation looks like she's forcing something up her throat and controlled. Vomiting is head shaking, side to side, and food flying everywhere. If it's vomiting, I would take her to the vet if she does it again as it can be signs of an infection.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@shmog How is your little one doing?

shmog

Strolling the yard
Probably not and Carsil ( silymarin ) should not either. Is she getting any other medications? The possibility of an infection is always present, so if it continues - it's off to the vet.
Carsil is the only medication she's currently receiving! I have not been home to keep an eye on her but I have not seen any seeds stuck to her perch/toy/blanket cover today like I saw when she was throwing up. Last month we were treating her for a Staph infection, but since our vet isn't in the city we haven't been able to test her and make sure it's gone. Could this be a reason? I'll be keeping an extra eye on her :(

Are you sure it was vomiting or regurgitation? Regurgitation looks like she's forcing something up her throat and controlled. Vomiting is head shaking, side to side, and food flying everywhere. If it's vomiting, I would take her to the vet if she does it again as it can be signs of an infection.
Pretty sure It was vomit :(, she looked like she was trying to keep it down as well. It went on her perch and blanket cover + the sticky stuff went on her head!! yuck. I don't think that would happen when regurgitating, right? Have not gotten a response from my vet yet as I'm pretty sure they're still out of the city. They left their clinic a while back and have been helping us regardless which I am eternally grateful for. If I don't get a text by tomorrow, I'll get one of my parents to call them 100%

@shmog How is your little one doing?
I think she's doing okay as far as I can tell. Haven't been able to observe her that much today or last night as I haven't been home but I haven't seen any seeds on her perch/toys/blanket cover! After throwing up originally she was chirping softly and ate some food + drank water which I think is a good sign. Got some chirps as well today when I came into the room, but still awaiting vet response. I've never seen her throw up for no apparent reason like this!! Super scary stuff :depressed: sucks to see my family not as worried as I am

It's around her sleep/wind down time right now, so I will be watching her tomorrow like a hawk!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Could be that the infection has reoccurred. Staph can sometimes be tough. Get her checked again.

shmog

Strolling the yard
Could be that the infection has reoccurred. Staph can sometimes be tough. Get her checked again.
Definitely on my to-do list now!! I'll message the vet again and ask if it could be a possibility and if there are any people with bird experience who can do the test or when he would be able to do it. (Not many bird vets here :( ) Thank you for informing me of the possibility of an infection, I'm taking it a lot more seriously now! Everyone on this forum is so helpful!! I'm super grateful for all of this advice. :)

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Definitely on my to-do list now!! I'll message the vet again and ask if it could be a possibility and if there are any people with bird experience who can do the test or when he would be able to do it. (Not many bird vets here :( ) Thank you for informing me of the possibility of an infection, I'm taking it a lot more seriously now! Everyone on this forum is so helpful!! I'm super grateful for all of this advice. :)

What you described does sounds like vomiting. I hope the vet gets back to you soon. Keep us posted.