• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Throwing food, nuff said....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Fannie has taking up throwing her food, mostly her pellets. She scoops her big beak into the bowl and lets them fly. They go everywhere, its such a waste and such a mess. Ive now just been putting about a tablespoon of pellets in her bowl at a time, any other suggestions to try to curb this behavior.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Oh gosh, I wish I knew. Buddy does the same thing. If he doesn't want it it's gone! My others will just ignore it instead of slinging or dumping it.

I'll be looking to see if anyone has any ideas.

tracie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tracie
I am having the same problem with Zoe. She eats a little bit and then throws the whole bowl. I have started using the bowls inside the cage instead of her playtop, but everytime I try to trust her she tosses it.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
All mine toss...they think it's fun! I have not found a way to stop it...I feel bad only putting a little in and then going to work all day and perhaps them not having anything to eat...so I just live with it! lol You should see the floor around Chopper's cage when I get home!!! OMG!

cgreenaway

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
My lovies throw their food as well. They throw it across the floor and watch it carefully and then it almost sounds like the laugh afterwards. :) They definitely think that throwing food is funny and I think owning a parrot you just have to get used to it. Lol.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Just feeding the pellets 2xs a day, in small amounts that she can eat, is the best way to do it.

If I left pellets in all day (or even seed) my birds would throw their food too. So I feed once in the morning along with fresh foods, and once in the evening along with their cooked dinner foods. And they have their toys filled with foraging toys(which is why its VERY important to have MANY foraging toys of many sizes) and they get the occasional snack too. So doing this, my birds do not throw any of their food :)

Robin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
My Grey does the same thing, I get so aggravated at him. So I just bought 2 flagstone XL perches to put over top of the food bowl so hopefully he won't be able to sling after that. Just the other day I hung a big toy over it and that has helped.

I have looked into the freedom cage buffet, do you think they can be put on other cages ?

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
a) I don't use grates, so they can eat anything that winds up on the paper b) I make sure there is lots of foraging and shredding opportunities because the tossing gets way worse if there's not and c) I only offer a small amount in the bowl at a time.

d) is sweeping frequently, :hehe:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feel for you. Sammy U2 puts his foot in and grabs a footful then slides his foot out of the bars of the cage and releases. The dogs love him!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can try a Crock feeder. Helps some.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Spikey used to throw his pellets all the time! Now I just give him (all the fids, actually) what he'll eat in a day... it doesn't even cover the bottom of his bowl and he never throws his food anymore. Instead, he throws all his foot toys from his toy bucket:D

Status
Not open for further replies.