• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Throat Shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolyn17603

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
carolyn
awesome pics. Im gonna have to check my birds out if they ever open their mouth big enough.

Heres a question kinda off topic completly dumb question but I dont know about bird parts and I always wondered under their head they have that open hole under their beak. what is that meant for? Breathing? I dont know what its called so I couldnt google it. Sorry such a dumb question but always wondered.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
The head of the bird contains several structures that may confuse bird owners. The bill or beak is known anatomically as the rostrum. Now bear with me as I use some technical terms to explain common anatomical parts, but I think it's important that you see the scientific terms for the bird's anatomy, even if you won't commit them to memory on sight! The horny sheaths of the upper and lower beak can be called the maxillary rhamphotheca (or rhinotheca) and mandibular rhamphotheca (or gnathotheca). If you tip the head back, you will see a fleshy area under the lower mandible, and this is called the interramal region or interramal space. The tongue and related structures are nestled in this region. Sometimes, the first time an owner sees this region, they panic and think a piece is missing out of the beak. But, be assured, this space is normal.

source: Avian Anatomy

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It's saying it's we're the tongue etc connects :)

A smaller snippet from the quote above about the hole specifically

" If you tip the head back, you will see a fleshy area under the lower mandible, and this is called the interramal region or interramal space. The tongue and related structures are nestled in this region. Sometimes, the first time an owner sees this region, they panic and think a piece is missing out of the beak. But, be assured, this space is normal."

carolyn17603

Real Name
carolyn
It's saying it's we're the tongue etc connects :)

A smaller snippet from the quote above about the hole specifically

" If you tip the head back, you will see a fleshy area under the lower mandible, and this is called the interramal region or interramal space. The tongue and related structures are nestled in this region. Sometimes, the first time an owner sees this region, they panic and think a piece is missing out of the beak. But, be assured, this space is normal."
thanks I read the quote you put but then I clicked on the article to read more and thats where I got confused thinking it was a notstril. So does the hole really do anything? What is the reason for it being there? If you know. Sorry thanks for helping me read lol getting a little tired so my eyes were getting blurry and couldnt keep the lines in the paragraphs straight lol. If you dont know the answer thats ok. thanks again.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Great shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.