• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Throat Shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Here's some pretty cool photos for you all!
I don't think I've seen any like this on here so far,

Whenever Harvey is climbing around I'm always in awe of his throat,
So here's some photos!

I believe the "teeth" as people call them, are infact Choanal Papillae, but correct me if I'm wrong!

I Highly reccomend viewing the full versions!
Complete with nice warm Cockatoo saliva!

Choanal Papillae of a Magnificus Red Tailed Black Cockatoo Immature Cock bird by vampstorso, on Flickr

Choanal Papillae of a Magnificus Red Tailed Black Cockatoo Immature Cock bird by vampstorso, on Flickr

Last edited:

birdbrain9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Donna
These are some amazing shots! If I get anywhere close to my toos with a camera they immediately cease whatever they were doing and just stare at me. Its as if they know what I want and are just toying with me. Im envious of your ability to capture his image so closely. Nicely done.

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks Donna! Very kind of you!

I know what you mean about the ceasing what they're doing thing...Cute or interesting stuff is only ever done when you don't even know where your camera is :lol:

JackDele

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
Very nice! Apparently, if they're pointed, like Harvey's, it means he's eating a healthy diet :dance4:

Stevo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Stephen
Open wide and say "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"

:rofl:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks Adele!

Woooh...we must be doing good! no stress bars on new feathers and sharp throats! haha
I read if they're not sharp it relates too poor diet but I wasn't sure if it meant it was caused by or caused it, so interesting! Come at me with your knowledge!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Very interesting pictures!

Matt

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Awesomely excellent! Those photos are journal worthy. They could teach avian vets. I would learn how to watermark them asap.
What kind of camera??

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Awesomely excellent! Those photos are journal worthy. They could teach avian vets. I would learn how to watermark them asap.
What kind of camera??
Gosh Carole! Those are incredible words of praise! :hug8:
I was having trouble finding information or photos of what I thought they were (as mentioned in the original post).
Glad you've enjoyed them! :D
Okay I added the watermarks :)
The camera is a Nikon D7000 :) I'm not great at it, but I'm proud I got these all in manual focus! That's about as good at it as I get...any other setting is just over my head haha

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Gosh Carole! Those are incredible words of praise!
I was having trouble finding information or photos of what I thought they were (as mentioned in the original post).
Glad you've enjoyed them!
Perhaps I'll add watermarks, but I guess like most people I hate them so much I never think of it haha.
The camera is a Nikon D7000 :) I'm not great at it, but I'm proud I got these all in manual focus!
I wouldn't have remembered either without a friend's help...or my vet. He was the first one to ever mention such a thing to me. He showed me with a speculum into my bird's throat, and said how healthy she was. Sadly he told me most of the birds he sees were not in such good shape.:( I asked what it would look like? He said there would be some missing, or very few. Seriously cool shots of something most people probably do not even know exists, let alone see it. Many of us are too blind to see it if we were looking right at it.:rofl:
Thanks for that...D7000 huh? Does this camera do video in 1080P? I will have to check them out. That is the first thing on my big wish list.... a better camera. Mine is an old cannon G5.:o:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
WOW! Those are great. We were just discussing this not to long back and I tried to get pictures. This is what I was able to get and the last one is the best one online. I agree with Carole, you got the best shots I've seen.

2012-07-17 10.49.17.jpg 2012-07-17 10.47.17.jpg 2012-07-17 10.46.07.jpg Poster2.jpg

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Excellent Shots Casey!!! Now I dare you to put your little pinky in there. :shocked3:
Thank youuu :) I'm currently listening too him crack almonds, I don't think my pinky needs too replace it haha :lol:

I wouldn't have remembered either without a friend's help...or my vet. He was the first one to ever mention such a thing to me. He showed me with a speculum into my bird's throat, and said how healthy she was. Sadly he told me most of the birds he sees were not in such good shape.:( I asked what it would look like? He said there would be some missing, or very few. Seriously cool shots of something most people probably do not even know exists, let alone see it. Many of us are too blind to see it if we were looking right at it.:rofl:
Thanks for that...D7000 huh? Does this camera do video in 1080P? I will have to check them out. That is the first thing on my big wish list.... a better camera. Mine is an old cannon G5.:o:
How fascinating! I'm glad you're able to shed some light, as like I said, I found finding information difficult!
What are they made of? A tissue, cartilage, calcium? Totally understand if you don't know of course!
And any idea of their purpose and how diet relates so strongly?
Hahaha nawwhh, I always peered into his mouth as he was climbing around and found them so cool, had to finally get photos! The saliva bubbles are kinda cool too hahaha

here's an easy break down of the D7000 :)
Nikon D7000 vs D90 - Our Analysis
I know nothing about cameras, so don't worry..if you'd told me the Cannon G5 was the newest model, I'd have believed you ;):o:

WOW! Those are great. We were just discussing this not to long back and I tried to get pictures. This is what I was able to get and the last one is the best one online. I agree with Carole, you got the best shots I've seen.

View attachment 116067 View attachment 116068
That third one (the first in my edited version here) is awesome! So gosh darn prickly looking! Puts Harvs too shame haha
and the fourth photo (second here) is the photo on google that actually allowed me too 100% determine they were infact what I thought!

Aw thank you again for such kind words! I'm really glad you're all enjoying them, and they're something not normally seen :)

Your photo is here, I assume you're aware of that?
http://www.hari.ca/show-us-your-choanal-papillae/

Last edited:

CrazyBirdLady

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jaime
Awesome pictures! My vet showed me those on one of my tiels who was vitamin A deficient due to a poor (seed only) diet. Hers were short or nonexistent. She is now healthy. Harvey's look great!!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Choana

A slit in the roof of a bird’s mouth (in the upper mandible). The choana connects the oropharynx inside the mouth with the nasal cavity. Numerous projections or papillae are found at the edge of the choana.
Choanal papillae

Several tiny projections that line the choanal slit. These papillae should be sharp, and blunting or absence is often attributed to nutritional deficiencies and/or respiratory illness.

from~The Association of Avian Veterinarians | Technicians

some interesting info here~
http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww40eiii.htm\
and here~
Merck Veterinary Manual
There must be reference in this book, as this comes up in a search
Amazon.com: Pathology of Pet and Aviary Birds (9780813805023): Robert E. Schmidt, Drury R. Reavill, David N. Phalen: Books
Funny! A search brings up an article on my vet's website!
Diseases of the respiratory system in birds

Here is the most comprehensive explanation I can find, but still no reason as to their purpose...

Inside of the mouth, the oropharynx, contains the tongue, glottis, choana, palate, salivary glands, esophagus, opening of the avian equivalent of the Eustachian tubes (the pharyngotympanic tubes) and larygeal mound. The tongue has a bone in it. The tongue is adapted for collecting food, manipulating food and swallowing. For example, the tongue of the birds in the lory and lorikeet families is the most specialized of the parrots. The lory tongue is called a '"brush-tongue," which refers to a cluster of elongated papillae that are normally only visible when the bird is feeding on liquid or soft foods, or when preening another bird.
At the base of the tongue, the glottis and the laryngeal mound are located. The larynx of mammals is used for vocalization, but it is the syrinx, located down much further, that is responsible for sound production in birds. The glottis is the opening to the windpipe, or trachea. The choana is located on the roof of the mouth. It is a slit that connects through some passages to the nostrils. One really neat difference that birds have is that the glottis will fit snugly into the choanal slit when the bird closes its mouth, and the bird will then have a closed connection from the nostrils to the windpipe. When a human breathes through the nostrils, the air goes through the back of the throat, which is an open area, to the trachea through the larynx. There are little projections, called papillae, that normally are found at the edges of the choanal slit. Other papillae, pointing towards the back of the throat, may be found in the oropharynx. A second, smaller slit is located behind the choanal slit. This is the opening to the middle ears, the infundibular cleft, of birds, connected by a tube, called the pharyngotympanic tube. Birds with middle ear infections often have a red, swollen cleft. This cleft is important for birds that fly at great altitudes, as it helps equalize pressure in the middle ear. I'll bet you never thought that birds ears might pop when they ascend during flight, like ours do when we humans fly!
In the past, it was thought that birds had a poorly developed sense of taste. Taste buds lie at the base of the tongue, in most species of birds. Some birds have taste buds on the inside of the tip of the lower and upper bills and there are several sites on the roof of the oropharynx, near the choana. In parrots, the taste buds are on the roof of the oropharynx on either side of the choana, and on the floor of the oropharynx at the front end of the laryngeal mound. Mallard ducks have less than 500 taste buds, compared to the 10,000 of a human and 17,000 in the rabbit. Birds do have a sense of taste, and do show definite taste preferences, as we all know!
Examination of the oropharynx is extremely important when a bird is evaluated by an avian vet. I use a strong, focal light source and magnification to closely evaluate the choana, papillae and infundibular cleft. It gives the experienced avian vet a tremendous amount of information regarding the overall health of the bird. If the choana is swollen, if the papillae are blunted or absent, if the infundibular cleft is reddened, if abscesses are present, or if thick, white ropy mucus is present, it gives the vet a good idea if malnutrition, vitamin A deficiency, bacterial or yeast infection or middle ear infections may be present, to name just a few. Internal papillomatous disease (papillomas) can occur throughout the gastrointestinal tract, and lesions may be present in the oropharynx. They may look like small, pink wart-like lesions. If your vet does not closely examine this area during a check-up, ask her why. It should be examined in every bird!
The oropharynx is variably colored in different species of birds. It may be pink, black or mottled. It takes experience to determine if the throat is blotchy pigmented, or if disease is present. For example, the oropharynx of the blue and gold macaw may be uniformly black, or it may contain pink areas. Pink areas could indicate internal papillomatous disease, or they could be normal. I always recommend that breeders get into the habit of examining the oropharynx of all of their baby birds daily, to look for changes that could be a problem. It is easy to begin learning the normals from the abnormals, if a breeder looks at the throats every day.
from here~ Avian Anatomy

A fascinating PDF!:eek:
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/ampa/22.pdf

Lots of reading. Thanks...this is all very interesting. I will find out what purpose they serve, but a guess would be directing food perhaps? Or maybe it serves a purpose which has to do with regurgitation?

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks Jaime!
Always comforting when you can see physical proof your birds diet is good! Especially when you didn't know!
Good your birdies are all healthy now!

Gosh Carole you're on the ball tonight! Thanks for all the info :) I'm on my phone at the moment but look forward too reading them!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
:laughing12:Great shots! As Sarah said, we had been geeking out over papillae not too long ago. Nice to see such great shots, and a healthy choana. :D

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:laughing12:Great shots! As Sarah said, we had been geeking out over papillae not too long ago. Nice to see such great shots, and a healthy choana. :D
Aw thanks! I'm feeling like such a proud Mum over all the good health comments haha

I was away for awhile doing career stuff so must have missed the discussion! I'll go looking for it in the morning!
I would've taken photos earlier had I known haha

ImaBirdMom

Real Name
Jessica
Wondering where you have been haven't been seeing many posts ...than saw this thread... those mouth shots are something else.... OPEN WIDE HARVEY!! :eek::lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.