• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Three green cheek conures same cage?

imnotgrandpa

Meeting neighbors
I have two gcc in a huge cage. They get along but aren’t bonded. What are your opinions on three in a cage? How do you think they’d get along, would one be left out etc? I found one that needs a home but I don’t have space for another large cage. Any input please!

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
bad idea. you already need to upgrade the size adding a third and hoping they’re gonna get along isn’t a good plan. what happens if the two gang up on the one the first day home? and even having two that aren’t bonded in a cage is really dangerous. all of this screams danger to me. even bonded birds can get into huge fights. that’s not even touching the fact that three is a bad number, two gang up on one, two are always closer then the third. and adding a third bird adds a lot of additional strains. if these birds really aren’t bonded the stress of a new bird in what they perceive to be their home could stress them and cause fighting, what are you gonna do about quarantining? it sounds like there wouldn’t be a quarantine plan which would also be pretty dangerous especially if this is a bird in need and not a bird from a breeders. if you don’t have space for another cage DO NOT GET IT.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Agree...they could hate each other or love each other but if you can't guarantee safety and add another cage if necessary, don't do it. I have my two elderly in a cage together and they aren't fond of each of other but have enough space to share. Maui would like to move in but she ends up being mean to the oldest, Bitty. She sneaks in every now and then if everyone is out and I'm changing bowls.

How about a double stack cage? I hate the bottom idea but you could rotate them each day...and add a little lamp light on the bottom.

imnotgrandpa

Meeting neighbors
When you say quarantine I assume you mean keep them in a separate cage and introduce slowly, which I did with my others and would do with this as well. Also when I say they aren’t bonded I mean they don’t only want each other or get jealous of each other, they preen each other and sleep together each night, etc. I appreciate your input.

bad idea. you already need to upgrade the size adding a third and hoping they’re gonna get along isn’t a good plan. what happens if the two gang up on the one the first day home? and even having two that aren’t bonded in a cage is really dangerous. all of this screams danger to me. even bonded birds can get into huge fights. that’s not even touching the fact that three is a bad number, two gang up on one, two are always closer then the third. and adding a third bird adds a lot of additional strains. if these birds really aren’t bonded the stress of a new bird in what they perceive to be their home could stress them and cause fighting, what are you gonna do about quarantining? it sounds like there wouldn’t be a quarantine plan which would also be pretty dangerous especially if this is a bird in need and not a bird from a breeders. if you don’t have space for another cage DO NOT GET IT.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
When you say quarantine I assume you mean keep them in a separate cage and introduce slowly, which I did with my others and would do with this as well. Also when I say they aren’t bonded I mean they don’t only want each other or get jealous of each other, they preen each other and sleep together each night, etc. I appreciate your input.
then they’re bonded which is a GREAT! thing. when i say quarantine i mean separating for a month or two to make sure the new bird coming in doesn’t have any diseases. it’s common for the parrot and reptile community, though i don’t see it much with dogs!!