• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Thoughts?

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
I rehomed our 6 year old G2 4 weeks ago to a friends daughter.Today was my second visit with her. Her feathers looked dull and over pruned. Her new owner has been mixing a little coconut oil with water and spritzing her about once a week. It’s winter here in Indiana so she hasn’t beeN. in her outdoor cage in a couple months. Here are some pictures I took today. Her new owner was concerned of plucking. What do any of you think? I know moving is very stressful in birds and if it doesn’t work out I will always take her back.

Attachments

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
I should add that she has kept her on the same diet which is zupreem pellets and sunburst conure seed mix and chop.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well the first thing would be to stop gumming up her feathers once a week with oil. Absolutely no reason for it and a very big contributing factor on top of losing her world.

Why did you rehome her?

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
It was a very hard decision to rehome her. She would attack our older Quaker parrot. She’s missing a toenail from one of the attacks. I would have them out at seperate times. We weren’t able to spend as much time with her as I thought she needed. The girl who we rehomed her to came over 4-5 times and stayed for hours before we moved her. And Maggie the G2 loved her on every visit. And she was normally very shy to people she didn’t know very well. I know the girls family. We gave her her large walk in aviary cage and everything in it. So she would have all her stuff. Since the rehome we stay in contact several times a week. And I’ve been there twice to visit her. Both visits she seemed weary of me until finally she warmed up and flew onto my shoulder.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I would spritzer with water without the coconut Oil it might be the coconut oil is doing it I know that you miss her but slowly back off the time that you were seeing her so that she can adjust to her new environment without you

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her new owner has been mixing a little coconut oil with water and spritzing her about once a week.
I would be very concerned about oil on any bird but especially oil on a powder bird. She doesn't look in good shape. If she were my bird I would be checking with my Avian Vet as to how I could immediately get the oil removed.

EDITED TO ADD: You have a bird with a powder base, then you add oil over the powder, then she preens and puts powder over the top of the oil. IMO, This is probably causing all kinds of problems.

Last edited:

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
:hug8: Birds are hard. We're here for you, and it's so nice to hear she's home! Sometimes, my U2 doesn't get as much time out of his cage as I'd like because I have other birds and small kids, but I know that he's well cared for, and happiest here at home with us, even if he only gets a few hours out.

Srohe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suzanna
:hug8: Birds are hard. We're here for you, and it's so nice to hear she's home! Sometimes, my U2 doesn't get as much time out of his cage as I'd like because I have other birds and small kids, but I know that he's well cared for, and happiest here at home with us, even if he only gets a few hours out.
Thank you.